Hoon Laws & Our opinions. (1 Viewer)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I was getting tailgaited along canterbury road by some faggot in a pulsar, red Ps, I was going 10-20 kms over. There are two nice sweeping bends after I turn off toward my house and he was going the same way. The thing is though that there is a median in the middle of the road to stop people turning right and one on the left near the gutter so people slow down, lol, and so the corners are made much tighter than they'd otherwise be. Low and behold after some brave cornering at 80 or so, only engine braking, the gimp is now a good 50 m behind me. I laughed. Like... man up.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ahhahahahahahah

i was tailgated by some wanker in a gemini through baulkham hills
who overtook me across double unbroken lines
was following him along barclay rd and decided i was a madcunt and overtook him at 110
cop at the top of the hill pulls him over

i am untouchable
lol my aforementioned story was in the hills district too- near the homemaker centre lolz.

as for ur story, that's like when i was next to an s2k on parra rd, maybe doing 5-10km/h over the speed limit but not enough to warrant anything... the s2k sees the reflection of the police sign on the side of a purple VE parked in the dark underneath some building... suddenly brakes... i brake too. then out of nowhere a blue yaris overtakes me. cop sirens come on. s2k and me are ><... but then he pulls over the yaris. fail. sucks to be him.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
supposed selfishness*, say the baby boomers who blow all OUR inheritence on european holidays and grey nomadding ;)

Srsly though what the fuck kind of law is it that I can not drive a turbo or V8? Fucking simple solution: for high performance cars it should be 1 strike and your out, but if you have a clean slate you can have one. Also a 150 kW/tonne law would have been better imo.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
supposed selfishness*, say the baby boomers who blow all OUR inheritence on european holidays and grey nomadding ;)

Srsly though what the fuck kind of law is it that I can not drive a turbo or V8? Fucking simple solution: for high performance cars it should be 1 strike and your out, but if you have a clean slate you can have one. Also a 150 kW/tonne law would have been better imo.
Power to weight ratio is definitely the way to go. After driving some high powered cars I can see why we wouldn't want inexperienced drivers taking the helm of them especially when they are still in their 'developing their senses' stage. Yes it sounds stupid but even in my experience, when I was a red P Plater, I would cut in and out changing lanes unnecessarily just to get from point A to point B a little bit faster. Over time however you learn to just drive alot more calmly, smoothly and probably slower. Without the high powered car, the temptation is removed.

I can see where you're coming from though- I had to wait 3 years to buy the car I wanted because of the stupid rule and I never really understood why until after I bought the car. On another note, the insurance premium/excess, presuming you pay for it yourself rather than your parents, is enough to scare you into thinking twice before doing anything dangerous which could endanger both you, your car and your future ability to afford insurance premiums!

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

thats fuck all for a car really
v8's and shit wouldn't make it in

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Nah I checked before I said that figure (as well as it being the motorcycle one), Holden V8 is 260kW minimum and it is listed as 1690 kg = 152.x per tonne. But yeah in hindsight maybe a bit lower, I just checked and that would make a RexTI allowable, which is obviously not cool.

And yeah, Seremify: When my friend bought his skyline non-turbo we thrashed it and went drifting when it was wet and stuff, low speed so not really dangerous, but if it had the power to spin the wheels more easily, well yeah.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
And yeah, Seremify: When my friend bought his skyline non-turbo we thrashed it and went drifting when it was wet and stuff, low speed so not really dangerous, but if it had the power to spin the wheels more easily, well yeah.
That being said, a Skyline still is pretty decent even in N/A guise for a new driver.... but regardless of that point, any car can be turned into a hoon-car if the driver so desires, but I feel that at least in a lower powered car, it removes some of the temptation (or the ability).

I know if I had access to a turbo when I was a Red P Plater, I would be overtaking/weaving in and out of traffic unnecessarily and 'making the most of my acceleration'.

As for the Red P's 1 hit and you're gone --> I think this is a really good way to hold new drivers back a bit until they are at least a bit more mature and confident (in the GOOD WAY) in their driving ability.

... heck, even now when I touch a high powered engine (e.g. V10/V12), I am still a bit shaky about putting my foot down too much and what consequences could arise!

chuboy

HSC
Ok so I've been "granny shifting" since I bought my car and I've gotten to the point where I can shift rather fast. But I hear that Double-clutching is supposed to be faster in a drag scenario. I've practiced double-clutching and still seems as though "granny shifting" is faster. Can anyone tell me why and/or how double-clutching is better?
Double-clutching gives you really fast downshifts for overtaking but in reality the technique is only useful for professional racing drivers and truckies.

However, double-clutching will get you a few more months at least out of a manual box that's about to go because the synchros are fucked from years of abuse. It also makes for a smoother shift and reduces wear on your gearbox overall. It's not really necessary though.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Double-clutching gives you really fast downshifts for overtaking but in reality the technique is only useful for professional racing drivers and truckies.

However, double-clutching will get you a few more months at least out of a manual box that's about to go because the synchros are fucked from years of abuse. It also makes for a smoother shift and reduces wear on your gearbox overall. It's not really necessary though.

It is not quicker to downshift by the double clutching method. The quickest way would be to flatshift or granny shift.

Double clutching is needed in cars without syncromesh in the gearbox.

In the gearbox, there is a shaft that normally spins as fast as the crankshaft in your gearbox, called the layshaft. It connects the driveshaft to the crankshaft.

Double clutching is needed in older cars because when you engage your clutch, the layshaft is disconnected from the crankshaft. However, this is no big deal if you do not change gears, because the wheels keep this shaft moving at a constant rate. However, when you slide the gear into neutral to move it to another gear, the layshaft is disconnected totally, and this reduces the spin. So when you try and move the gearstick into another gear, the layshaft needs to match the speed of the wheels again. But because the layshaft has slowed down, it often grinds and will not go into gear.

Double clutching is where you push the clutch in, put the car into neutral, release the clutch, depress the clutch again, blimp the revs up to above the running revs (the revs your car will be doing in the gear you are changing into), and then guiding (not pushing or forcing) the gear into position when the revs have matched the speed. The blimping of the revs allows the speeds of all the shafts to match each other to reduce wear and prevent grinding.

This sort of technique is not entirely necessary in newer cars, as the syncromesh in most gearboxes brings all the shafts upto identical speeds, taking the need for double clutching away.

walkahz

HSC
best way to downshift is heel toe actually. If you do it well you can make downshifts smooth as and fast. Its harder to do at normal road speeds though i find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)