hopeless teacher (1 Viewer)

Exp

HSC
my 4u teacher is terrible at teaching... would it be possible to get a decent mark in the hsc if i completely flop all questions relating to mechanics? I'm okay with all the other topics, it's just that I can't seem to understand most mechanics problems.

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
my 4u teacher is terrible at teaching... would it be possible to get a decent mark in the hsc if i completely flop all questions relating to mechanics? I'm okay with all the other topics, it's just that I can't seem to understand most mechanics problems.

Mechanics and volumes were the two topics that I initially disliked with passion, I was on the other hand really good at harder 3u and the other topics. I also avoided them for a while and did consider at one point doing the same thing as you, but then I realised that these two topics are actually free marks, especially mechanics. The theory isn't hard at all, and the questions are almost predictable.( I later realised that I hated them because I wasn't enjoying them as much as the other topics).

If you want to avoid attempting these questions, your mark will be capped at 80-85% (or even less depending on the structure of the paper) given that you get full marks for every other question.

I'd recommend finding a good tutor that can explain things with clarity and precision, and as soon as you have a good understanding of the theory, do as many mechanics trial questions as possible. If you can't find a tutor, then ask a friend that understands the content very well and is able to explain it.

I personally took a different approach, I just picked up a good textbook (coroneos, the main book and supplement) and worked my way through it, there were a lot of things that were outside the syllabus but I just did it anyway, this method tends to work for people who like independent learning and are not in a rush, but since you are only 2 months or so away from your trials, I'd go with the first option.

Out of curiosity, is your teacher terrible because he can't teach or is it because he doesn't understand the maths itself ?

Last edited:

Exp

HSC
thanks for the advice, you've opened my mind a bit :) but I have a test that involves mechanics before trials, so I guess I'm going to have to work hard to catch up through the coming weeks.

my teacher doesn't really teach but sort of flips through examples on a powerpoint line by line and rarely writes on the board to explain stuff. I find myself more able to understand concepts and methods if a teacher takes the 'traditional' approach and writes step by step on a board so that I know where all these numbers come from- particularly for subjects like maths, but maybe this is just me.
I do think that she understands the maths since she is able to quickly do the questions that other students ask but I think that she isn't a good communicator (..not like I am either but it's essential for a teacher)

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
How sad. Teaching maths without actively engaging with the students nor the maths!

Anyhow, check this playlist out, it’s by Eddie Woo. There is about 40 videos or so on mechanics with examples, perhaps they can provide you with some assistance.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5KkMZvBpo5BDJVyXGTFI3UCwIvjhbO4f

If you need an alright textbook (for mechanics questions), you might want to check out Cambridge by Arnold and Arnold
I’d recommend skipping ex 7.3 (from memory), as it deals with projectile motion at a higher level, so do it once you have mastered the normal 3u projectiles. You can find a PDF online or on scribd, so no need to buy the hard-copy.

Also, check out some past trial papers and internal assessment, which you can find on THSC online

Last edited:
Reactions: Exp

fysiqs

HSC
Maybe thought you should drop down to 3 unit if you just can't hack it?

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
Maybe thought you should drop down to 3 unit if you just can't hack it?
Dropping 4u at this time of the year? And he said he’s going alright with the other topics, so why drop it because of one topic ?

Unless he has more than 10 units and 4u is absolutely consuming his time AND happened to be his worst subject, I can’t see how dropping it should be even considered.

fysiqs

HSC
if he is going alright with all the other topics as you say...then why tag a post with the title "hopeless teacher"? Or is he just a brilliant student when he understands something all by himself and blames teach when he doesn't understand something?

You know, maybe he's reached his intellectual limit?

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
if he is going alright with all the other topics as you say...then why tag a post with the title "hopeless teacher"? Or is he just a brilliant student when he understands something all by himself and blames teach when he doesn't understand something?

You know, maybe he's reached his intellectual limit?
He said he's alright with all the other topics, I'm not saying that based on nothing.

No such thing as reaching an ''Intellectual limit'' for someone who's still in year 12, a lot of other factors must be considered before jumping to this bald conclusion.

Mechanics is one of these topics that can look intimidating from the outside but even an average 2u student can do it, if taught properly and correctly. (No disrespect to 2u students). So if the OP feels comfortable with the other topics, then there is no need to consider dropping the subject. if however ( as I mentioned earlier) he happened to have ''more than 10 units and 4u is absolutely consuming his time [with no significant improvement] AND 4u happened to be his worst subject'' then the idea of dropping it may be considered, otherwise, It really sounds absurd to me.

Have a look at the 4u topics and let's look at it from the perspective of a student who's just there to get the mark (NOT referring the op, but just in general). You can reach an acceptable level in conics, polys, integration and even complex numbers by tedious practice. Mechanics and volumes require a bit of understanding and visualisation, however their questions are mostly predictable and can be mastered through practice, and probably the most challenging topic for a lot of students is harder 3u, it's probably the only topic that requires genuine interest in mathematics and a bit of abstract thinking. A 'hopeless teacher' can easily teach their class the first 4 topics that I mentioned and can rely almost completely on rote learning and example-based lessons but when it comes to the topics that require a bit of proper explanation, their incompetence -as an educator- becomes evident.

It's also possible that the student is currently not capable of coping with 4u but that doesn't mean it's because they reached their intellectual limit, it just means they lack the mathematical maturity to take on some of the abstract ideas that 4u has, and that's not what the OP talked about, he only mentioned that he struggles with mechanics because of the methods and teaching style that his teacher decided to adopt. Which means if someone who knows how to explain things well taught him, he most likely will have no issues with the topic anymore.

If perhaps the OP is actually really struggling with the majority of the topics in 4u and just cant seem to handle it anymore and cant find anyone to help him or any good resources, I might then see your point in advising him to consider dropping the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exp

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For anyone in a similar predicament as Exp, I am available to provide a few-lessons 1-on-1 tutoring in Mechanics. I believe I can explain the underlying concepts much better than most people can. To be useful to you though, please don't leave it too late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)