Hospitality (1 Viewer)

RyelleBlitz

HSC
I was absolutely horrified! Well, not that bad, but I was really upset at my effing hospitality teacher - she said it wasn't really necessary to study specific legislation... I am so glad I did my own research into it!

I thought the whole thing was really vague... Didn't like it much.

Did anyone else just read up on salmonella before entering the exam? =D!!

savvypatty1590

HSC
RyelleBlitz said:
I was absolutely horrified! Well, not that bad, but I was really upset at my effing hospitality teacher - she said it wasn't really necessary to study specific legislation... I am so glad I did my own research into it!

I thought the whole thing was really vague... Didn't like it much.

Did anyone else just read up on salmonella before entering the exam? =D!!

haha.. i actually HAD salmonella food poisoning the week before (during english exam) so i knew allll about it lol..

i originally freaked about q21 but wen i got to writing i managed to get quite a bit.. emerging markets- wrote something about international tourism and ecotourism.. labour issues i wrote increased female participation, versatility, IR laws and such.. govt initiativer i wrote about smokefree act, pollution fines and sanctions n stuff, incentives for cleaner business n i think i wrote something about EEO. ended up writing more on this one than on q22 commercial cookery which i thought was funny.

22 was good though, managed to get about 6 pages but got alot of info in about mise en place, causes&fixes of customer complaints, workflows, teamwork, colour flavour temperature etc etc.

pretty happy, althought some of the short answers were a bit iffy. and SPECIFIC. i got some dates wrong on my legislation, will i lose marks?

sararara

HSC
whoaa i thought i was guna be the only one thinkin that test was yukky!!!!

i didnt like it that much...

for some reason i thought they would ask stuff about awards and agreements for question 21 as its an issue being talked about heapps lately..

ah well its all over n done with noww!!

southborder04

HSC
overall that was a great exam

multiple choice and short answers where very straight forward although i tink i could have put more info then question 21 was a question which i was lucky 2 have because of my teacher retesting me on that subject and i really wantd 2 own that topic being develop and update hospitality industry knowledge all question 21 was talking about was the issues that affect the hospitality industry being the-

-government initiatives
-emerging markets
-environmental and social issues
-industry retraction and expansion
-labour issues

alhtough u onli had 2 mention about the three askd for in the quesiton, but when i came to the question 22 for commercial cookery i was on a good start den startd to mind blank and den after a while i was starting to milk as much marks as i could try and get

yet this exam seemed easy to past papers which i have studied off

good luck everyone with the last few exams to go

tink positive dont give up when you still have alot to give

southborder04

HSC
lenj said:
luckily for me, i go to a school where my hospitality teacher personally wrote our text book that we use for both the prelim and hsc course. they covered each topic really well, i'm hoping it works in my favour :)

thoughts on question 22?

i did commercial cookery, and loved the question. gave me a decent amount to write about.

made reference to misc en place, workflow planning, teamwork and all the presentation stuff, height, colour, contrast, etc. and garnishes. but yeah, the question was VERY broad. coulda been answered in alot of different ways.

HSC 2007 - 4/7

three more to go !

goodluck :)
true len
its jordz yeh i feel priveliged to have a teacher like
miss. pereira and mrs.barbera

question 22 was only the question i felt iffy about but overall it was
an aiite exam but i guess dats like all exams it all has our strengths and weakness's

dont worry all this isnt the end of world there's stll many pathways that can lead you to a great career

good luck everyone
3 more to go and after tomorrow only 2 more
YIHEE hehe

^emmie^

HSC
i feel like the biggest idiot i wrote on my paper that i didnt no what they ment by labour issues and know someone told me they can mark u down for that like i wrote about work choices and IR laws but then i got heaps worried it was wrong n wrote about like physical labour
now im stressing heaps will i lose marks????

fyrosen

HSC
For Q.21 I talked about the new focused on training skilled workers, which is particularly relevant for people working in kitchens and stuff.
The exam overall was pretty good. I wrote more than the amount of lines they gave us for every SA question. I split my question 22 into meeting quality, service and food safety expectations. I reckon I got 90+

all4gsus

HSC
you know what? that was exactly what i was expecting. a vague, poorly worded exam, which has nothign do do with anything we learnt in class.....

i didn't like it at all, and didn't bother studying for it cause i knew i wasn't gonna go very well. but yeah, q 21 was prob the worst... i seem to be the only one doing food and bev for the option... it was kinda odd.... but meh. whatever....

good luck everyone!

...not that it really makes a difference now... but good luck for the rest of your exams?

Foeks

HSC
WHAT!!!! we all know that 80% of us did hospo cause were like hell yea that looks easy and we get to eat.
that exam so soo stupid. the long responses may as well have said "discuss hospitality" they were that broad.
totally lame.
looks like ill be needing to use one unit of Religon to cover my screw ups

tastelikespoon!

HSC
im kinda late with this....

but its interesting reading every1's response and it seems that most ppl were stuck on the Q.21
yea i was stuck with this Q as well, but thank gudness we had a tutorials at my school during the holidays and we went through all the ex-exam papers and 1 perticular Q in one of the trial paper had a similar Q to 21 & no1 in my class had ne idea so we discussed about it. so that kinda helped...

i tlked about:
*emerging markets- the rising number of tourist
*government initiatives- eg recent world events the APEC, the Olympics, live Earth concert which also liks to the emerging markets, these event can infuence more tourist.
*labour issues- the impacts of the emerging markets and the government initiatives, the enviroment and social issues and the benifits of these events to the hospitality industry.

im not saying that im right or ne thing but meh.. it sounded good at the time... but i guess well have to see what happends

Last edited:

SimoneL

HSC
I thought it was an alright exam. I was lucky for Q21 cos just b4 i went into the exam room i read heaps of stuff on emerging markets, labour issues and government initiatives. I talked about:
Emerging markets: eco-tourism and baby boomers
Labour issues: shortage of skilled labour in Aust
Gov't initiatives: smoking legislation and the trade schools and foreign labour to cater for the shortage of skilled labour.
I did Q23 and not really sure how i went cos i can't remember what i wrote for it...something about mise en place and customer service and stuff like that.
Does anyone else actually do food and beverage?

subSloth

HSC
Question 21 was quite easy....heaps too write about...labour issues = shortage in staff...goverment initiatives + labour issues = opening of new trade schools, private colleges and new courses at TAFE + industrial relations...government initiatives = new smoking laws....emerging markets = international tourism and its impact on the australian economy

jess1989

HSC
question 21 we have done absolutly nothing on at all. spoke to our old hospo teacher she wasnt happy either. then we spoke to the exam supervisor, she is filing a problem report to the board of studies. i completely flunked that question WTF was the exact reaction!

^emmie^

HSC
jess1989 said:
question 21 we have done absolutly nothing on at all. spoke to our old hospo teacher she wasnt happy either. then we spoke to the exam supervisor, she is filing a problem report to the board of studies. i completely flunked that question WTF was the exact reaction!
why are u filling a problem report what for

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
jess1989 said:
Umm yeah I'm gonna sound like a bitch here but that's really your fault, not the BoS.

Develop and Update was a compulsory topic, it's in the syllabus, it's in every single hospitality textbook printed for the course. You would've done a Develop and Update assessment for your competencies surely? Your teacher really sounds incompetent.

This subject was 70% teacher aided and 30% your own research. fair enough if you just didn't know it and that was all, but really you're at fault. Sorry, but it had to be said!

davodrift

HSC
i rekon it was hard. i went straight to the commercial cookery question cuz i was stuffed... i wrote about oh&s and stuff

fuck my school sucks... we had no theory the entire 2007 cause the stupid curiculum coordinator fucked up our timetable and refused to fix it. so fuck him....

hospo is going to scale me down.....:mad1:

i also wrote about how job oppotunities are rising in the hospitality industry. hope that was alright...

tehwhitefox

HSC
I think all up it was okay but yeah definitely question 21 was screwed. Although i have heard from my school and other people that complaints have been made.

Although the economic factor in hospitaliy isnt large it's still included. So thats why we were all thrown off. I don't think i even knew what they meant by Government intiatives and etc. But i just did what i could. Hopefully with all the complaints and such they could be more lenient. :S

^emmie^

HSC
tehwhitefox said:
I think all up it was okay but yeah definitely question 21 was screwed. Although i have heard from my school and other people that complaints have been made.

what did they complain about??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)