Hot Hatches for sub-30k (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't be fooled... actually a really, really good car... looks a bit cosmetically challenged, however, it is a car I have driven before... I must say, it's zippy, roomy, very easy to drive and a very economical car...

why not go for a mini??? you can get a cooper S for $45k (which is very reasonable for the amount of car you are getting)... a bit out of your price range, however, you can also get the mini (without the supercharger) for a lot less... (My cousin has a cooper S, drive hers around all the time... like it a million times better than my GTIR)

or if you are willing to go bigger than a hatchback... Nissan Cube or Toyota Rukus...
Oh good lord, definitely not.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I really need to learn how to drive a manual considering that so many of these cars are manual-only (not surprised though).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
That's probably a good idea, but tbh we're nearing the end of hot hatches and sports cars being manual only (depending on your definition of manual).

With supercars and higher dollar sports cars traditional manual and automatic options are being replaced by faster dual clutch transmisions which are essentially robotised manuals - change gears like with a "semi-auto" but they are a real manual in every way except for the fact that the clutch(es) are not operated by the driver so you don't really have to know how to drive a manual to drive one. It seems like they will be standard in majority of performance oriented cars in 5-10 years - it's kind of a bittersweet thing because they are superior in every way but it's just not the same.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
That's probably a good idea, but tbh we're nearing the end of hot hatches and sports cars being manual only (depending on your definition of manual).

With supercars and higher dollar sports cars traditional manual and automatic options are being replaced by faster dual clutch transmisions which are essentially robotised manuals - change gears like with a "semi-auto" but they are a real manual in every way except for the fact that the clutch(es) are not operated by the driver so you don't really have to know how to drive a manual to drive one. It seems like they will be standard in majority of performance oriented cars in 5-10 years - it's kind of a bittersweet thing because they are superior in every way but it's just not the same.
How different are they to manumatic transmissions (e.g. tiptronic)?

Am I right in assuming that DCTs are essentially a manual with no pedal for the clutch so gear changes only need to be made by using the stick/paddle shifters?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
How different are they to manumatic transmissions (e.g. tiptronic)?

Am I right in assuming that DCTs are essentially a manual with no pedal for the clutch so gear changes only need to be made by using the stick/paddle shifters?
That's pretty much what DCTs are, they usually have an auto mode as well. But they are actually almost two seperate transmissions so would probably be pretty difficult to operate if they weren't automated.

Manumatics like Tiptronic are what I call semi autos. They are automatic transmissions in that they have a torque converter rather than a clutch (both have advantages) but "semi auto" in that you can change gears manually.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So this is what my shortlist looks like (in no particular order):

VW Golf GTI/R32
Suzuki Swift Sport
Hyundai Velo. Turbo
VW Polo GTI

Does Ford have any worth looking at?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
So this is what my shortlist looks like (in no particular order):

VW Golf GTI/R32
Suzuki Swift Sport
Hyundai Velo. Turbo
VW Polo GTI

Does Ford have any worth looking at?
Ford has the Focus ST. But I would go for the GTI, R32 fairly overpriced. If you can get an R32, consider an audi S3

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The ST is a bit out of your price range iirc, and the xr5 turbo is probably too old to be competitive in your list.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Nah, not really interested in performance. Looking more at handling.
Almost nothing can handle better than an Evo, but a WRX comes close. I know what you mean though, what you'd really want is a Toyota 86 but even if you stretched your budget a little i'm guessing you want a little more practicality.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Almost nothing can handle better than an Evo, but a WRX comes close. I know what you mean though, what you'd really want is a Toyota 86 but even if you stretched your budget a little i'm guessing you want a little more practicality.
i was just about to mention the 86

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Volvo C30???

I've always had a soft spot for Volvo's...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
i was considering the 86 but it really does seem pricey at the moment and I would assume that with such a large waiting list, the used market would be fairly competitive.

Is the BRZ any good?

Any-mouse95

HSC
NA and not turbo, insurance companies have a hate towards turbos.
BTW there is new laws coming out in Jan 2014 that will allow P-Platers to drive turbos...providing the power to weight ratio is no more than 130kw/per tonne....It means you can drive a slightly de-tuned xr6-turbo...doing drifties and 0-100 in 5.5 secs...can get them second hand still in warranty for 26 K...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The BRZ is almost identical to the 86, they were jointly developed and are built at the same factory.

Any-mouse95

HSC
i was considering the 86 but it really does seem pricey at the moment and I would assume that with such a large waiting list, the used market would be fairly competitive.

Is the BRZ any good?
They handle very well..and you don't feel like your been driven by the car...its more like your driving the car...but they are as slow as wet whistle....put a turbo kit in for 5k....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)