Hours of Uni per week (1 Viewer)

lyra_t

HSC
I'm just wondering, what's the usual number of hours a week for a 1st year full time student at uni?

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts with a key program in Psychology. So that means for the Autumn session I'm doing:
- 2 BA core subjects (Australia & The World, and Media & Visual Culture)
- Psychology: Human Behaviour
- Elective Unit: Spanish 101

I registered for my lectures and tutorials today.. and i added up all the hours I have a week and it all adds up to only 9 hours in 5 days. Is that right? A lot of my other friends (who are going to different unis) have around 14. 9 just seems so little... I'm just afraid if I did something wrong.

-juLie-

meep
HSC
It depends on the degree type and what subjects are being taken. Some subjects may only have a lecture making it only it 1 hour a week so with all the 4 subjects makes it a short week where other subjects can have lectures, tutorials and labs making them 5-6 hours a week alone causing a much longer week.

John0

HSC
For Business units ur looking at usually 3 hours a unit (2 hours for a lecture, 1 for a tutorial). From what ive heard engineering and science students do alot more.

9 hours does seem abit low bit it will pick up in ur 2nd and 3rd yrs. Keep in mind its expected that you are doing work outside of the lectures and tutorials.

Sonata

HSC
i got a total of 19hrs is that normal for the engineering course?

LKY

HSC
N/A
17 hrs in engineering
What is the max credit of point in a session by the way?

velzee

In silence let him lie.
HSC
i got a total of 19hrs is that normal for the engineering course?
Ive got 23 contact hours, and 34 hours at uni, for my physics course. You might want to review your timetable.

Lara1986

HSC
22 for first year science.
Yet another reason why i love humanities-type courses :) Even when I had 4 units per semester and law classes were 4 hours instead of 3, the most i had was 14 hours per week. This year I have 1 day at uni, 3 x 3 hour classes.

mereray

HSC
Im doing the same course and psych as my KLP, my face to face hours are 9.5. I have 31 hrs to do on my own though...

Lara1986

HSC
Im doing the same course and psych as my KLP, my face to face hours are 9.5. I have 31 hrs to do on my own though...
That's about the same as a lot of courses because they tell you that you should do a total of 10hours work total, so if you have 3 hours x4 classes per week they expect you to do 4 x 7hours on your own.

But in reality, in 1st year especially i found that that wasn't necessary. I got away with about 2-3 hours per subject per week for the week to week work and up to 6 hours per week when there were assignments so somwehere around 4-5 hours per week in reality.

You may need to do the 'recommended' amount, more or less, just depends on how you find the work :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)