How accurate is SAM? 2005ers, please come in (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Did you guys check SAM against your actual UAI? If so, did it give you a mark that was lower/higher/same as your UAI?
I obviously haven't done my HSC yet, but I put in my year 11 results and SAM gave me a UAI of around 92.
I just wanted to know if I should trust this system!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You sure do have a lot of questions…

You have to remember SAM only severs as a estimate of what your UAI could be with that be said it has for some people been very accurate one or two points off or even .____ off although for others it has been way of.

You just have to look at the 2005 UAI forum to see what people like of SAM a good system for a possible estimate but never as good or to be as trusted as the real thing. SAM can often cause added stress over marks which is something people don’t need but a great program none the less.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The UAI results change from year to year, so SAM will give you a good general indication, but it won't be entirely accurate. Also note that SAM uses aligned marks, not raw marks, to calculate a UAI. Say you received a raw mark of 60/120 in Extension 2 Maths. Aligned, this mark would be about 85-90/100, due to how students generally perform in the Extension 2 Maths course. You'll get an inaccurate prediction if you feed in your school marks. See the What is a UAI "Prediction" thread for more. :)

I_F

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
Did you guys check SAM against your actual UAI? If so, did it give you a mark that was lower/higher/same as your UAI?
I obviously haven't done my HSC yet, but I put in my year 11 results and SAM gave me a UAI of around 92.
I just wanted to know if I should trust this system!
you should trust SAM. It's very good. The higher the UAI, the more "accurate" it really is (generally speaking). For me, SAM said 98.85, but I really got 98.6.

It is really quite good.

nwatts

HSC
Trust SAM with HSC marks. Don't trust it with anything else. It's useless to "guess" or put in year 11 marks. Mine was about 0.8 off.

nwatts

HSC
It was aimed at the thread started who is using year 11 marks. According to my year 11 marks I would have got 72.05, and according to trial marks I was in for 80.5. I ended up with 88.65.

Raginsheep

HSC
What you can do is estimate you're position within the state and use marks accordingly to give you a very rough guide. Or, find out the percentages of students who got 90 UAI or higher and determine yourself where you would be placed.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
My estimate from SAM was 97.90, and my UAI was 98.20.

You need to use your aligned HSC marks, which you don't have at the moment. Any estimate you recieve now are probably inaccurate as you've only completed a small percent of your HSC course. But it can be a guide as to how hard you should work in order to reach your goal.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Sam is fairly reliable, you should only use it so you have an idea of where your UAI might be around if you scored these marks in these subjects in this year.

P

pLuvia

There is both SAM and JUAI to use so you could probably average both of them :p. But SAM 2005 has been pretty close to the people I have asked for their UAI's and estimates

dimu2

HSC
I think the most foolproof solution is to just do ur best in the hsc?

Path

HSC
Well when i put in my final raw marks into sam at the end of yr 12, it gave me a uai of 74, but then my actual uai ended up being 91.00 bit of a difference there. Therefore i reckon its pretty inaccurate in terms of school marks, however in terms of my hsc marks Sam was only 0.10 off anyways just do ur best and u'll get the marks u need/deserve. all the best :D

P

pLuvia

Well it does say that your school marks are very different from your HSC marks

Please remember that school assessment marks are typically very different to HSC marks.

jessied

HSC
For me SAM predicted 96.75 (with my HSC marks) and my UAI was 96.4 so .35 off. Throughout the year I kept putting marks (trials, half-yearlies, school assessment marks etc) into SAM and it usually gave me aorund 90-91ish. So by all means use SAM to give a UAI estimate, but wait until HSC marks come out for a more accurate UAI estimate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)