How am I able to access course content for SDD/IPT if I didn't chose it as a subject? (1 Viewer)

chriscasha

HSC
Hey,

So I am striving to get into a BA of IT: Games design and development and it is recommended but not a requirement to have completed either HSC IPT and or SDD.

So I was wondering is there a way I can access either SDD or IPT course content? If yes then where and how?

I know it's not a requirement but I know programming can be hard and I would like to get an upper hand in terms of knowledge, the more the better right?

I have coded some small things in Engines such as Unity3d and was able to figure out how to input GUI into the game but I know that's really easy just some if's and else and and's, not to hard.

Thanks guys :) also good luck with your SDD test!

ismeta

HSC
Re: How am I able to access course content for SDD/IPT if I didn't chose it as a subj

Ah...I'm not sure IPT will be that relevant to your course, I guess SDD will be (I wanted to do it at my school but there wasn't enough demand, silly girl schools). As for course content, Charles Sturt University's HSC Online site has stuff on SDD and IPT.

But can I recommend something else? There are these videos on YouTube by this awesome lecturer called Richard Buckland, and they're from UNSW's Computing 1 course. I think they're quite good, and they focus more on computer sciency stuff and the programming itself than I presume SDD does. That said there's none of the development cycle stuff, so SDD would be better for that.

Gigacube

HSC
Re: How am I able to access course content for SDD/IPT if I didn't chose it as a subj

Ah...I'm not sure IPT will be that relevant to your course, I guess SDD will be (I wanted to do it at my school but there wasn't enough demand, silly girl schools). As for course content, Charles Sturt University's HSC Online site has stuff on SDD and IPT.

But can I recommend something else? There are these videos on YouTube by this awesome lecturer called Richard Buckland, and they're from UNSW's Computing 1 course. I think they're quite good, and they focus more on computer sciency stuff and the programming itself than I presume SDD does. That said there's none of the development cycle stuff, so SDD would be better for that.
I only know of one girl school that runs SDD. I have heard of people at girls schools studying SDD at boys schools because their schools were just across the road from each other. It's a shame you couldn't study it, you seem really interested in that area of computing.
And according to the BOS media guide only 93 girls studied SDD this year.

And speaking of Richard Buckland, you may have seen he has a free online course called Computing 1. This will probably be more beneficial to you as SDD isn't completely focused on programming as there are still social and ethical issues, project development cycle, etc.

The best overview of the more 'technical' stuff in SDD can be found in the course specs. Which goes over pseudocode and some examples.

Udacity is also another site with free online courses, take a look at CS101.

chriscasha

HSC

Thank you so much :)

Yeah I did Industrial Technology: Graphics instead, at that point in time I wanted to become a 3d conceptual artist but now I don't so I wish I would've picked SDD.

I am checking out the open learning course now :) thanks heaps!

chriscasha

HSC

Thank you again so much! I have watched 2 episode lectures now and I love it :) This is excellent :D

Yeah now it seems IPT isn't relevant as much as SDD.

Thank you again!

ismeta

HSC

Awesome, glad to hear it :D Have fun! (and good luck!)

ahdil33

HSC

Exactly as above. Not a huge fan of either course tbh, SDD barely has programming. It's more focused on the whole design process. if you wanted to do Software Engo, it's not too bad.

Met Richard Buckland at UNSW, he's a top bloke, can't wait for comp sci next yeaaaaaar.

probably not the best place to ask, but how much real programming has everyone done here? I honestly haven't done too much since I only really started liking programming recently...except with basic knowledge of a few languages, and unfortunately good knowledge of VB.net (because our teacher decided this is what we would use -_-).

I regret not finding out about stuff like ProgComp earlier. hope im not too far behind haha

ismeta

HSC

Met Richard Buckland at UNSW, he's a top bloke, can't wait for comp sci next yeaaaaaar.

probably not the best place to ask, but how much real programming has everyone done here? I honestly haven't done too much since I only really started liking programming recently...except with basic knowledge of a few languages, and unfortunately good knowledge of VB.net (because our teacher decided this is what we would use -_-).

I regret not finding out about stuff like ProgComp earlier. hope im not too far behind haha
Yeah, Richard is great. :D Looking forward to next year as well, hopefully I get him as a lecturer at some point.

as for 'real' programming, I don't really know what that means :p If you mean programs with GUIs and such, I have no experience in that area; rather, I'm limited to making programs that solve problems (AIO/ProgComp style) - although not very well - and I'm limited to console output. I've done camps and done a bunch of competitions but I'll probably get owned in Uni, haha. And don't worry about being far behind, it doesn't matter - you'll catch up in uni just fine :) Besides, introductory comp courses assume you don't know anything about programming.

ahdil33

HSC

Yeah, Richard is great. :D Looking forward to next year as well, hopefully I get him as a lecturer at some point.

as for 'real' programming, I don't really know what that means :p If you mean programs with GUIs and such, I have no experience in that area; rather, I'm limited to making programs that solve problems (AIO/ProgComp style) - although not very well - and I'm limited to console output. I've done camps and done a bunch of competitions but I'll probably get owned in Uni, haha. And don't worry about being far behind, it doesn't matter - you'll catch up in uni just fine :) Besides, introductory comp courses assume you don't know anything about programming.
That's a relief. I'm definitely going to do the Computing 1 course thing above, hopefully I'll actually do something these holidays instead of being a bum.

Btw, you say you're going to do the double degree? I was thinking about doubling with Commerce, but I was talking to Brad Hall (the guy from UNSW Computing) who was telling me for actual software development jobs I'm better off doing just Computer Science because the double takes away most of the electives or something.

crazymamma

HSC
N/A

Does anybody have any HSC SDD summary notes they can share or I can buy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)