How are any Accelerated Students Coping? (1 Viewer)

xx__savannah

HSC
Yeah, just curious whether it's just me that is having difficulty keeping up and handling HSC Chem and Preliminary workload. I generally take easy-ish subjects (or so friends tell me), but I just plain suck at chemistry, and wondered whether there were any other people like me, or I'm an exception, like at my school :p

BTW, As much as I don't like Chem, I like the fact I'm repeating it next year with perfectly set out copy of notes already. How do others feel about acceleration?

Last edited:

klaw

HSC
Accelerated 3U maths isn't too hard... but on the other hand, I couldn't even cope with prelim chem... it was so boring.... so I dropped it and took business

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

xx__savannah said:
Yeah, just curious whether it's just me that is having difficulty keeping up and handling HSC Chem and Preliminary workload. I generallytake easy-ish subjects (or so friends tell me), but I just plan suck at chemistry, and wondered whether there were any other people like me, or I'm an exception, like at my school :p

BTW, As much as I oon't like Chem, I like the fact I'm repeating it next year with a perfectly set out copy of notes already. How do others feel about acceleration?
if your acceleratin g in chemistry doesnt that mean you like the subject and are doing well?? thats very ironic.. :p

xx__savannah

HSC
Yeah, i think the school just wanted an even number of students in the accelerating class because we were te first grade to do it in our diocese. It just means that I was better at Year 7 and 8 Science than the rest, bar the 20 in the class. We didn't realy get to choose what subject we wanted to accelerate in after the SC -- our best science teacher taught Chem, and that was also the best course for anyone who wanted to do a science course, so all the class woulda taken it, basically. Beats anything else tho.

klaw, business didn't even run at my school, I probably woulda done the same thing this year.

P

pLuvia

xx__savannah said:
Yeah, i think the school just wanted an even number of students in the accelerating class because we were te first grade to do it in our diocese. It just means that I was better at Year 7 and 8 Science than the rest, bar the 20 in the class. We didn't realy get to choose what subject we wanted to accelerate in after the SC -- our best science teacher taught Chem, and that was also the best course for anyone who wanted to do a science course, so all the class woulda taken it, basically. Beats anything else tho.

klaw, business didn't even run at my school, I probably woulda done the same thing this year.
wow you have classes for acceleraters :(, i could have accelerated in 4u and 3u maths :( but i didnt know you could lol. It would be so good~~. When you accelerate in something do you have prove to the teacher that you can besides get good marks in the actual course? like do you have to do a test etc?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
holy crap, i was barely able to handle 2u maths in year 11 and you're accelerating in the 2 toughest sciences???

i could barely do physics 3 months ago...

goodluck tho sav

klaw

HSC
kadlil said:
wow you have classes for acceleraters :(, i could have accelerated in 4u and 3u maths :( but i didnt know you could lol. It would be so good~~. When you accelerate in something do you have prove to the teacher that you can besides get good marks in the actual course? like do you have to do a test etc?
My school has an accelerated maths program for every year group. They offer it to the smartest students, I didn't have to apply for it, they invited me. It starts in yr 9. We learn yr 9 and 10 stuff in yr 9, yr 11 stuff in yr 10 and yr 12 stuff in yr 11. Then in yr 12 we can drop maths, repeat 3U maths or do 4U.

P

pLuvia

klaw said:
My school has an accelerated maths program for every year group. They offer it to the smartest students, I didn't have to apply for it, they invited me. It starts in yr 9. We learn yr 9 and 10 stuff in yr 9, yr 11 stuff in yr 10 and yr 12 stuff in yr 11. Then in yr 12 we can drop maths, repeat 3U maths or do 4U.
oh really.. thats so cool..~~ your so lucky mate.. :)

xx__savannah

HSC
kadlil said:
When you accelerate in something do you have prove to the teacher that you can besides get good marks in the actual course? like do you have to do a test etc?
Well, no. The top 20 or so kids in science were discussed with the science co-ordinators about whether they thought we'd be able to, and 20 got through jsut like that. We had a few classes at the end of Year 8, and basically did what klaw said. We have a science one in three years at the moment, jsut becuase that's where the smartest or most capable kids are. We have a few Year 9s and Year 8s even doing year 10 maths as well.

jago said:
holy crap, i was barely able to handle 2u maths in year 11 and you're accelerating in the 2 toughest sciences???
i could barely do physics 3 months ago...
Nah, I'm only doing Chem -- I couldn't handle any other sciences, altho I was planning on doing Physics until it was put on the same line as IPT (cos my older bf tops it and can help me, and I topped Year 9+10 Computing). I don't even do 2u maths, general is so nice and easy. :) Thanks for the luck tho. Good luck to you too in your trials and eventual HSC.

That reminds me, I better study -- mine's on Friday and I hafta still attend classes til then. Bye.

[trent]

HSC
i'm doing accelerated business...getting stressed out cause business trials are in a week and prelims are in 3 :(

xx__savannah

HSC
[trent] said:
i'm doing accelerated business...getting stressed out cause business trials are in a week and prelims are in 3 :(
:eek: Wow, that's bad. I've just got 4 assignments after my trial. (and one before which I haven't done, but luckily it's an online subject and the teacher doesn't mind).

You're lucky you do business tho. I wanted Bus, and Legal to help me in journalism, but didn't run so I got stuck with online Economics.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

xx__savannah said:
:eek: Wow, that's bad. I've just got 4 assignments after my trial. (and one before which I haven't done, but luckily it's an online subject and the teacher doesn't mind).

You're lucky you do business tho. I wanted Bus, and Legal to help me in journalism, but didn't run so I got stuck with online Economics.
hey sav wat school do you go to??

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
klaw said:
That's pretty much the same situation at my school.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
[trent] said:
You're lucky...I wanted to accelerate Business Studies, but unfortunately they don't offer it at my school yet. I think they're considering it though, which is good for future students.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think accelerating a subject is the best thing you can do as you realise how hard/easy it is for you to get the marks you really want. It makes you realise the difficulty to get that band 6.

bonniejjj

HSC
I'm really impressed that schools offer accelerated programs. I've never heard of this program, which I assume means the schools I've been to aren't quite so progressive, or just that regional schools don't offer it (correct me if i'm wrong.) The best my primary school could do was skip me up a year... education really is taking leaps and bounds, isn't it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)