How are you going to prepare for English throughout the holidays? (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
So, before the HSC year, there are two week holidays.

How are you going to prepare for HSC English in the holidays? Write notes? If if so, like techniques and stuff from the text?

Any comments would be great :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, unless you are absolutely certain what texts/module your school will be studying during the first term, there isn't much point in blindly going over all the possible prescribed text. I think what's really important is to establish a mindset prepared for the greater challenges of English in year 12 and also have a comprehensive study plan for the upcoming term for all subjects, to really reflect on what you could have done better in year 11 and to avoid making the same mistakes in year 12 again. Perhaps it could also be very beneficial to start thinking about discovery and develop your own understanding of it before you go through it during class:)

astroman

HSC
i need to start studying maff, been performing pretty crap during prelims, english is easy

matchalolz

HSC
actually read and try to understand my texts for once, i don't think there's much point in doing anything else tbh

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
If I were you, I'd be focusing on reading, watching, and playing as many texts as I can. Not just set texts - anything that you enjoy or wanted to read but never had the chance.

First of all, this will give you a good idea of supplementary texts. For example, if you go and play The Last of Us and start thinking about discovery and concealment (both in physical landscapes and between characters), by the time you get to starting school you've already gotten a strong supplementary ready to go. And you've had a bloody good time "studying" it as well.

But more than that, it gives you a fun and interesting avenue to hone your analytical skills. In my holidays, I used to watch movies and read books asking myself "what's going on here? what's the author trying to do? Oh, that's an example of tricolon - hah, I must be pretty smart to get that!" And that sort of casual analysis then helped hone my thought processes when it came to the drudgery of prescribed texts and areas of study.

The biggest piece of advice that I can give for better English results (which occurs in my new online training platform for English and writing skills a lot) is: read widely, and read deeply. The more you read, the more concepts you'll be aware of and able to compare other things to. The deeper you read, the more acute your analytical skills will be. Plus you'll also find yourself writing with greater fluency and flair. When it comes to writing, reading = learning from the best, after all.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)