How bad is it to delay compulsory subjects? (1 Viewer)

Astea

HSC
Hi all so here's my dilemma:

I did Arts&Business last year and transferred into Economics/Arts this sem. On the economics side, I transferred what I could (for e.g. Accounting and microeconomics) and I have the following compulsory subjects remaining:

ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
ECON1202 Quantitative Analysis (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)
ECON1401 Economic Analysis (6 UOC)
ECON2101 Microeconomics 2 (6 UOC)
ECON2206 Introductory Econometrics (6 UOC)

I can't choose microeconomics 2 and introductory econometrics because of pre-requisites. Right now I'm enrolled in Macroeconomics 1, economic analysis, quantitative analysis and an arts subject.

The thing is... I really don't like maths. It's not my forte and I instantly get turned off by a page full of numbers, symbols and formulas. Is it bad to delay the inevitable mathsy subjects? I only just realised that quantitative analysis is ALL MATHS, and I really don't want to do it, but seeing as it's a compulsory subject...

Am I digging a deeper hole for myself by studying economics? Because with regards to maths, my interest levels are close to zero -- I find Arts subjects much, much more interesting.

Thanks in advance :S

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
How did you not realize economics requires a lot of maths... you might as well drop econ.

Astea

HSC
I did microeconomics last semester and thought I could just major in economics... Because something like microeconomics mirrors HSC economics, and I'm fine with that. It's just econometrics and stuff that I really dislike :(

Also... everyone tells me going Arts alone is career suicide. And yet I can't find myself being genuinely invested and interested in the other fields of study... sigh. :(

itoki228

HSC
N/A
Brah, If you enjoy the business side of things that don't require as much math, you should have gone into commerce. Economics is a lot of maths and not just maths, a lot of application. Rethink pls

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Please consider dropping econ if you do not enjoy math. U are essentially torturing yourself

Jay123

HSC
How much harder is the math in eco compared to the math in say engineering? I was kind of forced in engineering/commerce, but i really just wanted to do comm/eco. It's only week 1 and I am already dreading picking this course.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
How much harder is the math in eco compared to the math in say engineering? I was kind of forced in engineering/commerce, but i really just wanted to do comm/eco. It's only week 1 and I am already dreading picking this course.
The math in engineering would be much, much harder I would think. No comparison really.

Jay123

HSC
Is it possible to swap my engineering subjects for business ones even though the handbook says complete engineering subjects first? Also how would wam work if I wanted to transfer?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As others have mentioned if you don't like maths, don't do eco - it'll get more and more painful. Commerce would be a much better choice as you can do qualitative subjects (even in Finance).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)