How Business Studies stole my 99.95 ATAR (1 Viewer)

Dr Hu

HSC
Hello there. You're probably here because you like a subject along the lines of Biology, Business Studies and other 'lol' subjects which drag down your ATAR and you are worried for your future.
This is my story of how Business Studies stole away my 99.95 ATAR.

So.
I thought I was a pretty smart guy back in Year 10. That's why I signed up for Accelerated Business Studies. Finishing an entire subject one year early - such wow! What an irresistable opportunity.

'Who cares about low scaling; as long as you love what you are doing, you won't fail'. That's what they all said to me.

They were right.

After failing my assessment task 1 because I decided to write out my entire regurgitated essay instead of modifying it to answer the question, I told myself that the dream was still alive. All that I had to do was to completely destroy every single other assessment task. Reread every chapter once a week, I promised myself. Topping assessment task 2 rewarded my efforts and encouraged me onward. I can do this, I thought.
No.
I WILL do this.

As the trials drew increasingly near like the ephemeral yet painstakingly slow progress of a chain of big black dominos cascading downwards, inching ever closer to the defenceless me, I realised I wasn't that defenceless after all. Indeed, in hindsight, I would probably describe the trial examination as my peak.

Every muscle in my body relaxed as I flipped through the sweat stained pages of my trial paper. Easy. Way too easy. Let me just throw out 20 pages at the marker for this external influences essay and I'll be just fine.

As expected, those predictable markers gave me double 20s for my essays. Mwahahahaha - the first step of my plan is complete!

And so, with a 97 trial mark, I walked into the HSC exam.
Such nerve, much sweat.

'Welp, I should just do the same thing that I did in the trials', I told myself.

2 months later - 93 external mark for Business Studies.

'WTF?'

'There must have been a mistake. In fact, I'm sure of it. Mhm. Definitely a mistake.'
So I ordered my raw marks.

Guess what? I misread a 6 marker and got 0 for it. ROFL.

The moral of this story is not to stress out too much over what subjects you choose and what other people spam in your ear/eyes. Believe in yourself. Study hard and study what you want to. Don't pick up the Asian 5 because you want high scaling. Do what you enjoy, and do it well so that I wont look like a nasty troll in one years time.

Best of luck to you, Class of 2014.

Last edited:

Irateyou

HSC
so are u trying to say that even if someone stuffed up their term 4 assessments, they can still get a decent ATAR? (95+)
I got around the low 80s for all my subjects, what do u think ill manage to get if i try really hard throughout the year?

gwilymprice

HSC
so are u trying to say that even if someone stuffed up their term 4 assessments, they can still get a decent ATAR? (95+)
I got around the low 80s for all my subjects, what do u think ill manage to get if i try really hard throughout the year?
Of course you can!

OP very well put together post, an enjoyable read haha

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I got a good kick out of reading this thread, even though I've finished my HSC

NFmusic1995

HSC
i accelerated business in year 11 to, was ranked bottom 15, got 56% in trials, somehow got internal/external of 87

Repeated it, came 2nd :'( , but got external 95.

marks lost, 15/20 in multis. full marks in both essays and bs report

I did 0 practice questions, and barely studyied for business studies. Seriously if you can accelerate it, DO IT, worse comes worse u repeat it, and you can do well without even studying as the content is with you

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
i accelerated business in year 11 to, was ranked bottom 15, got 56% in trials, somehow got internal/external of 87

Repeated it, came 2nd :'( , but got external 95.

marks lost, 15/20 in multis. full marks in both essays and bs report

I did 0 practice questions, and barely studyied for business studies. Seriously if you can accelerate it, DO IT, worse comes worse u repeat it, and you can do well without even studying as the content is with you

You didn't get 95 external, i even saw your marks on the screenshot you provided in the notes thread lol.

Didn't you get 92 external....

Dr Hu

HSC
Haha thanks guys, I like writing stories :)
Never give up. Never say die. Do general maths, biology, studies of religion and business studies and get that 99.95! (don't quote me on this)

Ironist

HSC
You forgot the part where you cost Denny and me state rankings. :(
But since you carried for Maths, all is forgiven (from me at least)

But solid advice bro!

enoilgam

HSC
'There must have been a mistake. In fact, I'm sure of it. Mhm. Definitely a mistake.'
So I ordered my raw marks.

Guess what? I misread a 6 marker and got 0 for it. ROFL.
I think this just goes to show how luck can play a factor when it comes to the HSC and academics in general. I had a friend at uni who failed his final exam because he missed an essay worth 30 Marks. At ND, if you fail the final exam, you fail the course (which is made worse by the fact that he was sitting on a Distinction prior to the exam). That failure ended up costing him over $1,000 and meant that he needed to overload during his final semester.

Overall though, this is a great thread and a good demonstration of why it pays to do subjects you enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)