how can i boost my english marks? (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
read ur text a couple of times

its a bitch for me, i have 5-6 texts to read, out of which i have read only 2 texts once.....:eek: :eek:

astron

HSC
N/A
My turn to nit pick :)

Only one point. Huy said that synthesise is the same as textual integrity.

It is not. Synthesis is the drawing of links between texts. It is crucial, especially in the area of study, and Modules A and C.

In Module B, it is more about drawing common threads between the various shakespearean adaptations (for King Lear).

Textual Integrity is the unity of a text, the sum of all elements that makes it a classic. It will earn you extra marks if you can talk about it in Module B. Its kinda hard to explain over the net, but ask you english teacher to explain it to you. It should help.

I'll just climb off my high perch now.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by astron
My turn to nit pick :)

Only one point. Huy said that synthesise is the same as textual integrity.

It is not. Synthesis is the drawing of links between texts. It is crucial, especially in the area of study, and Modules A and C.

In Module B, it is more about drawing common threads between the various shakespearean adaptations (for King Lear).

Textual Integrity is the unity of a text, the sum of all elements that makes it a classic. It will earn you extra marks if you can talk about it in Module B. Its kinda hard to explain over the net, but ask you english teacher to explain it to you. It should help.

I'll just climb off my high perch now.
10.4 HSC Outcomes
Outcome 2: 'A student explains relationships among texts'
2A. 'A student recognises different ways in which particular texts are valued'

Intertextuality: refers to relationships between texts. Readers or viewers also make their own textual links between texts.

In my defence, I can only conclude that it has been a case of mistaken 'technique' :p

I had confused synthesising (outcome 2) with other devices like intertextuality.

I hope this clears it up :)

(Phew ... textual integrity is a whole other matter)
Potato, 'potatoe', tomato, 'tomatoe'
Let's call the whole thing off!

Hahah okay I'll admit defeat :p
But it's all the same thing to me!
Synthesising, textual integrity, intertextuality.

mmm ... I'll get off my high horse too :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1. Read the texts. You'll be ahead of 30% of the candidates if you do that.

2. Form your own ideas, but make sure you justify them. A parrot can't do the HSC- remember why.

3. Back up what you say with evidence (literary theory books, works of critics, things like that).

Daedalus

DO NOT TRY TO LEARN ENGLISH THE "TRADITIONAL" WAY unless u are a GOOD student

do what i do:
make really high quality paragraphs linking the prescribed texts and supp texts talking about all needed things. Get it checked by a tutor so it becomes high qua

then MeMORISE!! then at the exam u pull parapgraphs out of your head and write them down

make sure the paras isnt too long so u have time to write them down

i was a crap eng student at the start (13/20 for donne), then i started this strategy and for my last BNW/BR essay i got 18/20

also, if u dont have time to make your own paras, get a good student's essay and ABSORB it. that way u assimilate yourself into them and get similar marks!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
definately ask the teacher for help! write a couple of essays, show them and ask where u can improve

also, bring back ur 1/2 yearlys, or ur other assess and ask them where u went wrong

make sure u have ur own notes as they r easier 2 understand and u know what ur talking about (rather than ones off here). and make sure ur notes follow the ouctomes and rubric etc.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Daedalus is using a similar method to what I did in the HSC...and I got 93 in the exam, so it does actually work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)