How can I improve my creative writing skills on my own since naplan is coming up? (1 Viewer)

njdkanda

HSC
Naplan is coming up and my biggest weakness in english is creative writing. I've checked tutoring places such as Ngo and Sons, The brain, and Talent 100 and they only start to tutor narrative after I sit naplan, so any help on how I can improve my creative writing skills on my own or suggestions for tutors would be great.

njdkanda

HSC
unless you want to transfer i wouldn't stress too much (i don't think anyone i know studied for naplan & we all scored top bands).
i suggest wide reading - exposes you to more vocabulary/concepts and personally has helped me heaps.

creative writing imo isn't something you can be tutored on well/reliably but if you wanted to, i'd just find a private tutor rather than a centre. i've forgotten how naplan is structured but if you really want to tryhard i guess you could try imbedding conceptual stuff (which is also where wide reading comes into play) into your narrative?

descriptive abilities are also something to focus on (which an extensive vocabulary helps with). for instance, don't just say "the lightning was bright and thunder was loud/deafening" or something basic. i'd be as pretentious as possible and go for some elaborate description (which uses as many senses as possible). for example, when describing a sunset, i'd write something like "The crimson sky grew darker as the golden sun dipped beneath the horizon, cotton clouds dissipating, and the final rays of sunlight fell upon the ground, as the serene moon would rise." (still not that good but whatever)

summary: tutoring won't help much but if you do, get a private tutor. wide read to boost your vocabulary and conceptual knowledge. consider embedding conceptual stuff inside your narrative/creative, and improve descriptive ability by being pretentious in how you describe things.
Do you have any suggestions for private tutors?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)