How can you get your English Examiner to "like" your essay? (1 Viewer)

Gunner_Fly

HSC
It feels like the marks I get for English essays are completely random! I handed in a practice essay to my English teacher, and got 18/20. She tells me a few things to correct, and I go home and correct them. I then resubmit my essay to my English teacher a week later. Next day, I get it back and I have a 15/20, saying "I need more detail", and yet I used the exact same amount of detail in my 18/20 essay.

I guess I'm asking, is English marking really that random?? Is there anyway to have more chance of getting a better mark in the exam essay?

AnandDNA

HSC
yep it really is random. Depends on the makrer's mood and perception at the time. Thats the advanatge of maths and science (to a lesser extent now) as they have staright correct and incorrect answers

samthebear

HSC
which is why english fails as a subject :mad1: and is absolutely irrelevant. unless they were going to teach actual ENGLISH and not a watered down version of literature in schools.

dp624

HSC
it's possible to make a solid essay that will receive high marks from most people
but a lot of markers are random

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
english=epicfail.

it sucks because some people know how to make an essay sound good, whereas some people know the facts but don't have that flair and get shit marks LIKE 7/15 WTF?!

i got 16/20 for basically the same dammned essay, except longer.

so much anger.

dp624

HSC
english=epicfail.

it sucks because some people know how to make an essay sound good, whereas some people know the facts but don't have that flair and get shit marks LIKE 7/15 WTF?!

so much anger.
flair and writing style are pretty importat; so learn those too xD

since even if you know all the crap, but you can't say it - that's pretty bad imo

oly1991

HSC
i think english markers look for essays that stand out and that answer the question in relevant detail

random-1005

Banned
HSC
It feels like the marks I get for English essays are completely random! I handed in a practice essay to my English teacher, and got 18/20. She tells me a few things to correct, and I go home and correct them. I then resubmit my essay to my English teacher a week later. Next day, I get it back and I have a 15/20, saying "I need more detail", and yet I used the exact same amount of detail in my 18/20 essay.

I guess I'm asking, is English marking really that random?? Is there anyway to have more chance of getting a better mark in the exam essay?

the only way is to bribe them, english teachers dont know what they want, every single thing i do i get 60% (or something shit like that), its all luck of the draw.

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
maybe you're doing it wrong
im not the best writer im the world, its not like we actually learn how to write in english. every single time i do something its just something barely over 50% and pretty much "better luck next time", only the top english class manages to breach the 70% mark, and it just comes automatically to them, with very little effort, lucky bastards. one can only wonder how much my uai will be screwed because of it

Last edited:

oly1991

HSC
im not the best writer im the world, its not like we actually learn how to write in english. every single time i do something its just something barely over 50% and pretty much "better luck next time", only the top english class manages to breach the 70% mark.
maybe your markers are tough but i would recommend practising writing essays and submitting them to your teacher for feedback.

jellybelly59

HSC
english=epicfail.

so much anger.
I think flair and sophistication can come from practice :)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
so what do you mean by "actual" english?

real english, how to write, i would rather do that than memorise shakespeare, i want something that i can use in life. someone tell the wankers at board of studies that HSC english is useless, change it to something worthwile or dnt make it compulsory

Last edited:

x-Manda-x

HSC
Tape money to your essay lol. Only joking, I agree with 'oly1991' The best you can do, is learn your stuff, structure, composition, stuff like that.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Submit your english essays, multiple times to your teacher, and request feedback from your teacher. Ask how you could improve the essay, or ways inwhich you could achieve a higher mark.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
So how do you suppose "real" english is to be assessed? LOL aren't shakespearean texts a medium to furthering your english ability, through analysing language, structure and context?

yeh, of course, lets read something bloody 1000 yrs old and it might have some relevance to us today

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Tape money to your essay lol. Only joking, I agree with 'oly1991' The best you can do, is learn your stuff, structure, composition, stuff like that.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Submit your english essays, multiple times to your teacher, and request feedback from your teacher. Ask how you could improve the essay, or ways inwhich you could achieve a higher mark.
GOD, what a waste of paper, does english have any consideration for the environment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)