• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How can you prepare for SECTION II? (1 Viewer)

ben

Any ideas?

I mean Section III is practice and learning...
Section I is more or less learning techniques...

Anyone have some preparation tips for Section II (that doesn't include practising past questions)

Morgues

Just have a viewpoint on change I guess and try to present it using sophisticated vocabulary

ben

Originally posted by Morgues
Just have a viewpoint on change I guess and try to present it using sophisticated vocabulary
lol, i rely too much on Word's Thesauraus!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha
I wish thesauruses were allowed in the HSC exam... :(

ben

lol , i wish we could type in the exam

I can type x100 faster than I can write in pen....

i can also write in pencil a lot faster (and neater) than pen (felt or biro)

Y

yeh

so what's you typing speed ben? wpm.

oh and exactly what do they ask in this question?

ben

Originally posted by yeh
so what's you typing speed ben? wpm.
oh and exactly what do they ask in this question?
I don't know my typing speed - can't be bothered to run a program to test either. One thing that does help though is my ergonomically designed "natural" keyboard. Although it's QWERY and not that DWORK or whatever - that also increases speed...eventually.

As for this Section II - i'm not exactly sure. Something about using different forms of media to reflect and commuinicate on your own understanding of change...?

Y

yeh

yeh i haven't tested myself on one of those programs lately. i presume you touch type?

ben

yep

although - after typing 11-pages of business studies notes on management and change this morning my fingers really ache.

ben

yes, yes, ergonomics

damn ergonomics takes up like 10% of my DT folio

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Hmmm... to study for Section II, you'd have to be aware of most of the text types. And if THAT isn't trouble enough, you have to know how to WRITE them too.

I guess I'd be considered as lucky, since I have a booklet on some of the text types and how to write them. Some of the text types are; Personal letter, Letter to the Editor, Review, Newspaper Feature Article, Report, Print News Report, Diary, Magazine article, Speech, Cartoon (Hmmmm...), Persuasive Poster (Hmmmm...), Descriptive Prose and Poetry, and a song lyric.

You could be asked to write ANY of them. Except for the Cartoon and Persuasive Poster. For some reason I DON'T think you'd be asked to do that. But you never know :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
im assuming u have a scanner?

to scan, really depends on wat program u use, and what scanner u have, so try n ask someone in ur family that knows to show u ?

and another thing, wats the major differences between magazine article and newspaper article?

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
I will definitely scan and post up that booklet after my Trials.
My Trials run for 3 weeks, so I'll try to get them up at the end of 3 weeks. :)
I am sorry that I cannot post them up now :(

ben

That'd be great if you could scan it!! Except my English1 exam in on Tuesday! Oh-well

Could you just a list a couple pointers on a few of them (like a script). Just one or two things that made you thing - why didn't I think of that.

Thanks

(And lol - making a poster)

Zub

It would be great to get some of this booklet online :D
even though my Eng test is tomorrow, could still be of help in the actual HSC.

As for the typing, i am a fast touch typer, and i applied to the BoS that i could type in the exam. i was accepted, except i actually found my marks were alot better when i didnt have a computer in front of me. I couldnt properly focus, unlike in the actual exams when your crowded with people and feel stressed and you just have pen&paper to get your message accross. i am now allowed to use the the computers in exams i feel are "appropriate"

Morgues

damn your lucky
what did you tell the BOS when you applied? Is it to late to apply?
Is it because your a slow writer or bad handwriting?

roo

HSC
i'm screeewed for section 2..! and uh yah, im not really doing anything about it.. :(

Originally posted by Zub
It would be great to get some of this booklet
As for the typing, i am a fast touch typer, and i applied to the BoS that i could type in the exam. i was accepted, except i actually found my marks were alot better when i didnt have a computer in front of me. I couldnt properly focus, unlike in the actual exams when your crowded with people and feel stressed and you just have pen&paper to get your message accross. i am now allowed to use the the computers in exams i feel are "appropriate"
that's so true! i used the computer last year when i sprained my hand and everyone was like "uuh you've got an advantage blah blah" but it's seriously a lot harder. i type faster than i think, if that makes sense lol.. heaps easier to think and write. and then it crashes and im like uuhhh..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)