• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How can you prepare for SECTION II? (1 Viewer)

ben

if you typed, do you have someone watching the whole time - otherwise it'd be ... oops, up popped my notes.... copy+paste quotes etc. etc.

roo

HSC
Originally posted by ben
if you typed, do you have someone watching the whole time - otherwise it'd be ... oops, up popped my notes.... copy+paste quotes etc. etc.
nah they gave me a crappy dummy laptop. i did it in a private room in the library, no one watched me, they just said "we trust in your integrity as a student blah blah". the spell check, thesaurus and other stuff was disabled, so was the A:/ drive i think.

Pete

Hey Roo, this is Roo isnt it? Mannix's friend from west pennant hills? If so, this is Pete Tys mate... I saw your name, and thought man how many people are called Roo! Is it who i think it is?

roo

HSC
Originally posted by Pete
Hey Roo, this is Roo isnt it? Mannix's friend from west pennant hills? If so, this is Pete Tys mate... I saw your name, and thought man how many people are called Roo! Is it who i think it is?
lol yaaah it is, who are u? actually, i think i know who you are. :D check ur private messages.

Zub

roo,
yeah, i start typing away and im finished typing the sentence in my head before i can think of a new one, unlike when your writing when your hand is a sentence or so behind.

As for my application Morgues, i have a learning disability (or did when i was little) and so i made an application for the computer as i have dodgy handwriting.

ben

well just had did the paper.

section two we had to write a narrative on change which included the line "I hate been catalogued" - or something like that.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
u cant really prepare for section 2 except for knowing alot about change. U also gotta be aware of the criteria you have to fill (rebrix or somthing.. u know the bit where it goes "you will be assesed on ur ability to ...")

roo

HSC
isnt section 2 usually a narrative of some sort? or some type of creative writing so just prepare a short story before you get into the exam about change. thats what our teacher told us to do and it worked fine for me.. :)

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
I think the best way to prepare for this Section, is to be aware of most of the text types.

And you have to practice writing all of them over and over again, so you really KNOW them.

Here is something from my book:
How to read and write key text types for Sections 1 and 2 of Paper 1
  • Examine the pro-formas and memorise their features.
  • Find examples of as many text-types as possible and highlight the features of each one
  • Analyse your examples and identify the specific features related to each one. You should concentrate your examples on your particular focus area.
I will be posting up that booklet I have soon. I'm sorry I'm taking so long :(

Last edited:

ben

Originally posted by roo
isnt section 2 usually a narrative of some sort? or some type of creative writing so just prepare a short story before you get into the exam about change. thats what our teacher told us to do and it worked fine for me.. :)
what's a good story about change?? LOL, i was never good at writing stories.

roo

HSC
well our teacher said not to write anything like this:

-hsc changes or how it changes u
-"and then i woke up" or "then i died"
-nothing overly descriptive, like "then i brushed my teeth, went to bed.. blah blah"

i do self, good ones for that are mental changes, like extreme ones. e.g. you could do a diary entry on a person's life, say from 7 - 14 - 21..

ben

Originally posted by Angelic_Angel88
Alright, I've sent that booklet.

It'll be up soon. Hope it helps :D
Thanks heaps! will it be in the AOS section?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i actually find section 2 the easiest of all the sections....its the only one i dont have to think about.

our trial was writing an article and i thought what a load of crap i mean section 2 is creative writing....creative writing is NOT an article for crying out loud!!! most of the ppl at school i know wrote stories...now im wondering whether i actually ever even read the question....

i hate that...i think i've read the question then i realise...nope i skipped a line or a couple of words and its like 'doh!'.
why cant the HSC be all creative writing...no essays...no techniques...

ben

Originally posted by eviltama
i hate that...i think i've read the question then i realise...nope i skipped a line or a couple of words and its like 'doh!'.
why cant the HSC be all creative writing...no essays...no techniques...
because in the "real world" no one reads books or watches movies without considering the historical contexts of the composer and the techniques he/she used. silly you :p

and yeah, i skipped a couple lines for some reason in my paper 1. i completely misread a line that said who the audience of my speech was! :(

sif not 99

i think you either have the skills or you dont

if your well read its obviously gunna help u construct a story but i heard that the secret to the question is not to use the change word even once, and i think that is the secret to it.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by scotew
there are no 2002 trial papers on the site ??? Whats the go.
cos the trial period isnt over yet for some schools (like mine)

dont worry, the 2002 papers will b up as soon as ppl get the back and send em to lazarus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)