how come..... (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
maybe someone out there can explain something to me...

i am not boasting or anything but.................

how come at school when we do maths work i understand what is going on and when the teacher asks me questions in class i get them right, and when i do my homework i get it right and when i study from study guides i get the questions right

but when i come and sit an exam at school for maths i do crappy????
like i just pass

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Cos they make exams extra hard to prepare you for major exams.
Or maybe you get confused or forget stuff cos when you're doing a particular unit in class it is all fresh in your mind and you are always doing the same thing til you move onto the next topic...but in exams there are bits from everywhere to remember.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Its one of the worlds many mysteries :p.

I have a similar problem. When we do topic tests l get the highest mark. I understand the work and l got 1st in the class. However, someone else who got 2nd in the class beat me in the yearly exam, when l studied and he didn't.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
some people just choke in exams..
like take me for english, my assessments i got 15/15, 10/15, 15/15, 13/15, and then the 1/2 yrly i didnt even pass (then again hardly anyone did) and the trial i passed, and ranked well, but my mark was still shit
its crap, but its just the way it is

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
re

I'm like that too! although opposite.
I suck at assessments etc and in class stuff but I seem to beat the heck out of the "smart" kids who spend hours upon hoiurs of study for exams. I think the class bit is frustrating, but I laugh my head off when the "smart" kids get all upset and take it out on me. lol
WE FELL YOUR PAIN!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
try practicing under exam conditions. try doing exam study questions. i am guessing you are in year 11, so get hold of past papers and do them. have you worked out where you go wrong?

careless mistakes? i unfortunately don't have many solutions for these, except go slow, and if you always do the same things keep note an dlook for them everytime you do the question

not understanding the question? - you may have to try more and harder questions, to get the hang of them.

thinking you are doing something right but you aren't? - the mix of questions may confuse you. when you do them in class there are generally only 1 type of question, in an exam there is a mix so it can be hard to work out what to use where

= Jennifer =

HSC
Originally posted by iambored
try practicing under exam conditions. try doing exam study questions.
i did this! i did questions from the school textbook, i also did the practice exams at the end of the chapter and even though i made a few mistakes i saw where i went wrong...and redid them. also i also did the ones from the excel and macquarie revision guides i was also able to go to the library and photocopy some out of other textbooks

Originally posted by iambored

thinking you are doing something right but you aren't? - the mix of questions may confuse you. when you do them in class there are generally only 1 type of question, in an exam there is a mix so it can be hard to work out what to use where
this could be the reason.....

KarmaKitten

HSC
I used to have that problem too. Now i attempt all types of questions from different textbooks because certain questions are worded differently and try to work in exam conditions etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)