How content heavy are these subjects? (1 Viewer)

zephyrus

HSC
I've already confirmed my subjects, but I didn't realise I picked 14 units. So I would like someone to tell me how content heavy these subjects are and possibly what kind of "heavy" it is (ie: essays, research papers etc.)

- SOR II (SOR's compulsory :( )
- English Extension I
- Ancient History
- Business Studies (I don't particularly like this subject, but was placed into it anyway)
- MX1
- IPT

Thanks! :)

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
For English extension 1, be prepared to read lots of books - although it is the least content heavy out of your other subjects. You don't really study english, you practice. Ancient History and IPT are both medium in content weight.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
if sor is compulsory i assume you attend a private school and that makes it pretty obvious that you would have a lot of support and resources in regards to that subject so it should be easy. english extension 1 is pretty loaded as you have to write a lot, A LOT. ancient history and business are reasonable subjects lying on the average mark. None the less, business and ancient will require study and revision, however not as much as ext 1 english. Maths extension 1 should be pretty standard if you are averaging 80s in 2U, the course puts further applications of most of the topics covered in the 2u course so ext 1 may become pretty hard if you dont revise and remeber. IPT in itself is pretty easy and not a variety of work is distributed. it is a mix of some business studies and software and is done by a lot of students thus making it a pretty 'less demanding' subject. Personally if i was in your situation i would drop IPT because it is low scaling amongst your other subs. :)

content heavy:

1. english extension 1
2. mathematics extension 1
3. Studies of religion 2
4. ancient history
5. business studies
6. IPT

hope that helps

zephyrus

HSC
Thanks for the info. I'm just afraid I won't last prelim year because of content heavy subjects, though I enjoy all (but Business Studies; it seems really dull)

I figured that I may drop IPT and/or Business studies (maybe MX1 as well, since my English is quite weak [however, crime fiction/sci-fi is right up my alley lol]) due to the fact I need to cut down in units for HSC year (I can't really handle large workloads, though honestly I'll see what kinds of marks I get before I drop).

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Thanks for the info. I'm just afraid I won't last prelim year because of content heavy subjects, though I enjoy all (but Business Studies; it seems really dull)

I figured that I may drop IPT and/or Business studies (maybe MX1 as well, since my English is quite weak [however, crime fiction/sci-fi is right up my alley lol]) due to the fact I need to cut down in units for HSC year (I can't really handle large workloads, though honestly I'll see what kinds of marks I get before I drop).
Lol prelim year, although a substantial jump from Year 10, is still pretty easy. I crammed all my subjects unfortunately but have ended up with 85% + for all tests with the occasional 95.

Easiest in prelim for you will be Legal and Ancient History. IPT is much harder than AH and Legal in my opinion.

zephyrus

HSC
Hmm, I don't do legal studies.
Thanks for the insight, man I'm pumped for Ancient History, it's probably one of my favourite subjects in my school life.

(Also, I did a typo, that should read as "I may be dropping English Extension," not MX1.)

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Hmm, I don't do legal studies.
Thanks for the insight, man I'm pumped for Ancient History, it's probably one of my favourite subjects in my school life.

(Also, I did a typo, that should read as "I may be dropping English Extension," not MX1.)
Sorry, I meant business studies. Yeah Ancient History is kind of fun, but only during the test because I basically wrote my heart out. The extended response questions are always source based, which means you can make your own inferences, and, there are plenty documentarys on YouTube which are very helpful.

I loved preliminary Ancient History. However, it can get quite boring at times.

zephyrus

HSC
I see.

I tend to have problems with more or less subjective subjects and to do better in more objective stuff, like maths. I'll assume history is more or less in between those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)