How did u link Q3 with yourself? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Did it in my intro (meaning address the question as relating to myself), then kind of forgot to keep going back to relating the qusetion to myself until the second last paragraph of analysis (doesn't include conclusion), then conclusion. I just said that inner journeys improve my understanding of myself and the world by providing valauble insighst on how such journeys come about, i.e. physical or imaginative catalyst, and the rewards gained from going on such journeys. I forgot to link my texts together...hmmm...

HSC
Perfect Element said:
Have you ever actually read an academic essay or are you just basing it off what your teachers taught you in year 7? First person is actually quite frequently used. Infact, I'm reading a essay on Yeats's "The Second Coming" aligning it with Nietzschaen philosophy right now and it uses first person quite extensively.
It depends on the academic field as to what governs the style of writing. English (in this sense) should not be in the 1st person. We had this drilled into us for the last two years, even getting marked down if we used first person.

Yes, some academic fields do use 1st person, but the majority don't. I'm just wondering whether you're actually reading an essay or another form of writing, because even at the university level not everything is in essay format.

I have asked uni students about this and they say writing in the first person is a big NO NO (even for them).

aim2fire

AIMZ
HSC
mai said:
you dont HAVE to use first person. just because the question used 'your' it doesnt mean you have to use first person in ur essay. my teacher, who is also a hsc marker, said that's just how they ask the question...
sif add in so much first person in ur essay.. though if u added it in your intro or conclusion its 'fine'. if you overdid it then ur..stooged. cos...essays are generally not meant to use first person narrative...

so quit stressing? theres no way you can get marked down for NOT using first person.. and highly doubtful u'll lose 59475843753 watever marks just cos u used it a few times in ur intro/concl.

WHAT DOES SIF MEAN??

HSC
MasterOfDisgyis said:
It depends on the academic field as to what governs the style of writing. English (in this sense) should not be in the 1st person. We had this drilled into us for the last two years, even getting marked down if we used first person.

Yes, some academic fields do use 1st person, but the majority don't. I'm just wondering whether you're actually reading an essay or another form of writing, because even at the university level not everything is in essay format.

I have asked uni students about this and they say writing in the first person is a big NO NO (even for them).
It wasn't a strictly formal essay, no. But neither is what we are being asked to write. Not once in the english exam did it mention the word "essay" let alone that it was to be formal or of university level.

I was also taught over the last 2 years that in a strict essay response to write without 1st person. HOWEVER a question that asks directly for a personal response from the writer IS NOT a formal essay question, it's as simple as that.

Furthermore, I fail to see the difference between "English (in this sense)" and the article I was referring to? It was an academic critical analysis of the poetry of W.B. Yeats including reference to contextual interpretations? Shit, sound familiar?

Like I said before, I think having extended reference to your personal interprations of the AoS topic would be tantamount to distilled retardation but in a directly personal question such as was given there is nothing wrong with a little bit of 1st person in intro, conclusion and sparingly throughout the body of the response.

caligem

Uni Dropout
HSC
argh, that question screwed me up from the start!!! Lots of people i talked to just did it in first person and wrote heaps, but I ended up doing it third person, i used 'we', 'the responder' and 'oneself', but i only got 4 and a half pages out, which scares me coz every1 ive spoken 2 has done 7+, even the 'less academic' kids... :( im not sure i agree with the theory that u can just memorise one essay then adjust it 2 a question tho, coz i tried that once, after being encouraged by my teacher and it was the WORST essay ive ever written. i think im an improviser, know the texts, learn the quotes, and then just apply ur knowledge to the question...

belleree98

All these people memorising things..I do hope none of you plan on careers where you're forced to write things on the spot (journalism) or actually think for yourself rather than rely on what other people say.

We were taught in yr 7 not to write in 1st person. Unfortunately the english I studied from 7-10 had very little to do with my english studies for 11-12. The syllabus is designed a certain way to, I dunno, make it easier for some people. Yes I am a hater of it, along with many other students but what can we do? By asking for your opinion they are making sure you don't just sprout out pre learned essays. So maybe it was a good thing. *shrugs*

We were specifically told by the Head of English that when it asks for your understanding then you write in 1st person. Even so, I wouldn't risk writing the whole thing in 1st person but as someone else mentioned, intro, conclusion and topic sentences throughout.

Your understanding of the concept of the journey will not be the same as the person next to you because everyone has different interpretations of texts etc. They're trying to encourage higher order thinking and trying to personalise it at the same time.

Dee S

HSC
sweetie, i go to one of the top top public scools in the state, so i think i'm smarter than you when i say this: stop being a retard here. so many ppl use and read this site and care about what ppl have written. and during our time of the hsc, they really don't need selfish ppl like you saying crap like that, which can ultimately negatively affect their self esteem- which they need lots of right now. i know that a lot of ppl would agree with you, and with cause, but it's really not necessary to be worded on a site like this- which was put up by ppl who were nice enough to promote niceness (is my vocab up to your standards?) How about i'll shut up now, and you go get a life?

Dee S

HSC
phatchance said:
This is why I wish English wasn't compulsory, most of you simply shouldn't be taking it end of story. First person is inappropriate for an essay text type, this is one of the first things you should have learnt in year 7, an essay is meant to be formally structured. Sure they won't 'mark you down' for utilising it in your introduction and conclusion, but if you want to get full marks on the essay and think a personalised rant about the wonderful debt you owe to your English staff for introducing the AOS is going to achieve anything you are sadly mistaken.

Personally I really disliked todays paper, unfortunately the questions were so broad and generic that the hordes of mindless rote learners and tutored, pampered private school children will have walked out with a smile on their faces after rehashing the work they barely understand all over the paper with a few 'juxtapositions' and 'eludications' for good measure. Not to mention after writing a creative piece that failed to link in any way to the stimulus material provided. This whole system makes me sick to my stomach.

Luckily section A will weed out a few of the undeserving, given that you had to have the comprehension skills of a year 7 student to answer the questions, something a large proportion of the state is lacking.

Modules will be much harder than this paper, they will throw a few curve balls and unexpected text types, mark my words. P.S. to anyone that requested a second booklet for the creative or section A, you are a retard. That is all.
sweetie, i go to one of the top top public scools in the state, so i think i'm smarter than you when i say this: stop being a retard here. so many ppl use and read this site and care about what ppl have written. and during our time of the hsc, they really don't need selfish ppl like you saying crap like that, which can ultimately negatively affect their self esteem- which they need lots of right now. i know that a lot of ppl would agree with you, and with cause, but it's really not necessary to be worded on a site like this- which was put up by ppl who were nice enough to promote niceness (is my vocab up to your standards?) How about i'll shut up now, and you go get a life?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Remember people it was the HSC section 3.. you still have to the asnwer the question like any other 'essay' with your 3 texts..

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
hsrahd said:
sweetie, i go to one of the top top public scools in the state, so i think i'm smarter than you when i say this
Pwned yourself.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Well since it was an essay question I didn't write anything in first person. Rather I talked about how the reader can understand the strifes and hardships that people go thru on physical journeys.. and how they transport them.. and make the reader empathyse etc etc...

Lanz122

i just said like these texts illustrate bla bla blah who cares....exam is over...fuck journeysssssssssss

TripleWordScore

HSC
I didn't have enough time to make up bullshit, so I told the truth.
They're not going to like it.

soleil

i do imaginative journeys and i said that the composer, through rhetoric, allows the reader to journey with them. thus the effect the journey has on the persona, occurs for the reader as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)