How did you become good at Physics calculations? (1 Viewer)

whoiamiswhoiam

HSC
N/A
I really need to work on the calculation side of physics to enhance my exam mark.

Thank you! :smile:

gwilymprice

HSC
Practice practice practice, it is that simple. Understanding why the calculations are the way they are also helps, by going back the the base of the calculation and what they are can help heaps, having a good understanding of units can help with deducing which formulas to use. But as I said at the start practice is key! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to practice a lot, but I think the most important thing is to start recognising the different types of problems that can be in any topic that involves mathematical calculations-which is essentially in all the topics, and learn how to approach different types of problems, that way, if you have a problem in the exam that you haven't seen before, you can categorise it into a particular 'type' of problem and can use the right approach to get the answer and get marks.

There is no short cuts-practice, practice, practice:)-and understand each step of course:)

studybuddy101

HSC
definitely agree with the above. At the end of the day there's only a handful of question types they can throw at you come HSC, the more you've seen the better prepared you'll be. Very similar to how you'd go about mathematics prep.

Other than that, when you get something wrong you should always go back and understand exactly what happened to allow for that. More often than not it'll be silly errors, however always be on the lookout for gaps in your knowledge.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I just paid attention in Year 8 maths.

Seriously, the maths isn't that difficult. It's just plugging numbers into a formula. Just keep on practicing and you won't find it hard at all.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
I just paid attention in Year 8 maths.

Seriously, the maths isn't that difficult. It's just plugging numbers into a formula. Just keep on practicing and you won't find it hard at all.
You are full of.....................it

That's mocking the OP

mcookieman

HSC
Understanding the concepts behind the calculations is the easiest way.
If you find that you can't, then as others have said, practice practice practice, and memorise what each formula on the datasheet is used for so you can just sub stuff in without second guessing if its the right one. (This is what i did for the time/length/mass dilation questions, the variable names given in the datasheet always threw me off)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Understanding the concepts behind the calculations is the easiest way.
If you find that you can't, then as others have said, practice practice practice, and memorise what each formula on the datasheet is used for so you can just sub stuff in without second guessing if its the right one. (This is what i did for the time/length/mass dilation questions, the variable names given in the datasheet always threw me off)
+10000000000000000

Its not about the maths

Just like chemistry, there were people who asked me if I was good at maths why did I suck with chem calculations... arguing back would be a waste of time - the point is, to get better with physics (or chem) calculations, understand concepts of physics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)