How did you choose your UNI course? (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

I was talking to the dean of commerce/economics at USYd and he said that companies start picking out 2nd year students as potential employees for their firms, so economics graduates are very popular (and get highly paid if you are good).
same for acturial at macq ... *reminds self - must do well at uni ... no more slacking off like hsc* ...

a while back minai posted some stats on unis for eco ... and it said that usyd wasnt as good as macq or unsw ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

same for acturial at macq ... *reminds self - must do well at uni ... no more slacking off like hsc* ...

a while back minai posted some stats on unis for eco ... and it said that usyd wasnt as good as macq or unsw ...
I don't think so, I think Usyd is right up there in commerce, actually they are all roughly the same anyway, it all depends on how you go in your course.

Whether an employer goes for a UNSW, Usyd or macq graduate really depends on what uni they went to and what they prefer.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

I don't think so, I think Usyd is right up there in commerce, actually they are all roughly the same anyway, it all depends on how you go in your course.

Whether an employer goes for a UNSW, Usyd or macq graduate really depends on what uni they went to and what they prefer.
i guess ... especially because commerce is sort-a-the-same at most unis ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

i guess ... especially because commerce is sort-a-the-same at most unis ...
yeah it's roughly the same, though UNSW and Usyd are a little more prestigious. :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

yeah it's roughly the same, though UNSW and Usyd are a little more prestigious. :D
locally and internationally ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731

This is so true, every second person you tlak to wants to some form of commerce

personally i could not think of anything more mind numbing or boring
Depends what you major in under commerce.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
sure, i mean thats just me of course

every single major offered in commerce looks boring as to me...but im sure plenty of people would say that about the subjects im thinking of doing nect year

each to their own

alys

i just looked at what i like. sadly for my career prospects, i don't like money (commerce, ugh) or science. i can do them both, but they drive me insane. consequently, i'm doing arts advanced - french, english lit, history of all sorts, other miscellaneous. it will be fun.

as an added bonus, the looks i get when i tell people that i got 99.6 and plan to study arts are priceless.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by alys

as an added bonus, the looks i get when i tell people that i got 99.6 and plan to study arts are priceless.
Good on your for doing what you want, rather than going for the course with the highest UAI just "because you can." :)

alys

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings

Good on your for doing what you want, rather than going for the course with the highest UAI just "because you can." :)
why thank you. i briefly considered arts law. but then i remembered that law is close to the most boring thing in the world. my mother was a lawyer, you see.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe
yeah uni is about what u wanna do for the rest of your life, not what ur UAI lets u do..

and about that commerce/eco talk...there isnt really much of a difference between the top uni's in sydney...employers look at ur academic record and your majors more so than which uni u went to (this is wat a guy at Usyd open day told me)

I chose UNSW coz it has the best options for me personally, coz I'm considering a double major in Economics and International Business, combined with a major in an Asian language (korean or jap) if I end up doing Commerce/Arts of Economics/Arts

chait

Originally posted by alys

hehe same here i got 90s and the cutoff for com/ecos (ANU) is 75.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
hehe
yeah uni is about what u wanna do for the rest of your life, not what ur UAI lets u do..

and about that commerce/eco talk...there isnt really much of a difference between the top uni's in sydney...employers look at ur academic record and your majors more so than which uni u went to (this is wat a guy at Usyd open day told me)

I chose UNSW coz it has the best options for me personally, coz I'm considering a double major in Economics and International Business, combined with a major in an Asian language (korean or jap) if I end up doing Commerce/Arts of Economics/Arts
Yeah I spoke to the guy at sydney and he said the same thing. I only chose commerce/adv maths cause I looked at everything else and through a process of elimination looked at what was best for me, and what I would like to do for the rest of my life (chose my course based on what I liked and was good at, i.e. maths).

I said it earlier but it doesn't matter whether you go to Sydney or UNSW I think they are equally good, and it comes down to your academic record and majors as Minai said.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
actually after your first job, what uni you attended doesnt matter ...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Most people do Commerce ( or people i've been talking to) beacuse it opens a array of career prospects and is relatively easy to secure a job with a commerce degree!!! But it also comes down to what you good at!!! If you are good at Maths and do Acturial studies and finance that makes you very employable......

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by zannaz
Most people do Commerce ( or people i've been talking to) beacuse it opens a array of career prospects and is relatively easy to secure a job with a commerce degree!!! But it also comes down to what you good at!!! If you are good at Maths and do Acturial studies and finance that makes you very employable......
And you get well paid if you are good at commerce and maths.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
which is why you make yourself good at certain subjects ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)