How did you go in Bachelor of Business Autumn semester 2013? (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
A) What was your average mark for the course in autumn 2013?
B) What marks did you get?
C) What subjects did you do?
D) What lessons did you learn?
E) What are your strengths and weaknesses?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Still a while until results are out...

Only business subject I did this semester was Accounting for Business Decisions A.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Reflecting on my time at UTS in autumn 2009 (my first semester of uni) I was humiliated. I got an average mark of 36 per cent for my Bachelor of Business. I got 66 per cent in Managing People and Organisations, 54 per cent in Economics for Business, 27 per cent for Marketing Foundations (MF) and 0 per cent for Accounting for Business Decisions (ABDA). In MF and ABDA I chose not to sit the final exams (for ABDA it was a hundred per cent final exam of the total assessment package, I chose the high risk option). In Autumn 2010 I did one subject each semester and managed to get 85 per cent in Business Law and Ethics.

I come from a low Social Economic Status background and lacked the financial support that was required for me to go to University properly. Moreover, I managed to get High Distinction in Business Law and Ethics (a law subject). You just gotta keep on persisting.

In truth I am not an idiot/ dropkick. I have now achieved pass average (85 BLE, 70 MF, 66 MPO, 54 EB, 27 MF and 0 ABDA). My average mark now is 50.3 per cent in B Bus. I am very proud how I bounced back at uni.

I decided to withdraw from B Bus at UTS in autumn 2013. This withdrawal was because I was about to be humiliated big time in subjects such as ABDA. HRM, Fundamentals of Business Finance or Applied Company Law (ACL). ACL involves two thousand pages of reading for the entire semester. Reflecting on my time at UTS I learnt that sometimes you have to quit while you are ahead. If I did any of the subjects outlined above most likely I would have got 20 per cent or less in the subject, even if I did one subject each semester.

Last edited by a moderator:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
ABDA is not that hard, and they are so generous with all the different options and weightings.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
even then, the cohort still managed to do so crap in the midsems, and the finals were even more difficult imo.
The midsem had its tricks as the prereleased paper didn't have any adjusting entry examples where the wrong accounts were used, but besides them it was really straight forward for anyone who had done most of the pre released stuff. Everyone must have been extremely lazy for the mean mark to be a fail.

The final was fairly difficult, but the final lecture took the edge off it. Just to pass there wasn't the neccesity for a high mark in the finals for anybody, especially if you took advantage of the screencast and tute marks.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
even then, the cohort still managed to do so crap in the midsems, and the finals were even more difficult imo.
The midsem wasn't terribly difficult. They were just particularly anal about the account names, and even then they only accounted for 1/3 of a mark so people must really have been lazy with the study/practising around then.

I found the final to be fairly straightforward for the most part. The multiple choice is always difficult but you if you paid attention in the lectures they actually had already explained it to you in good detail. The practical section wasn't hard at all, but if they are anal about the types of responses they wanted then the marks might be pretty low again...

Overall, really enjoyed my first semester. I had IBP (no one likes IBP), MPO, ABDA, and Eco 1. Eco 1 and ABDA I found to be the most enjoyable. Straightforward content and the lecturers were really good. MPO is interesting but some parts of the course can be quite boring, like Human Resource management. No one likes IBP.

Hopefully next semester when I start Law it's just as good!

Magical Yeeros

HSC
IBP was by far my favourite, i talked to my group the whole time and we just chilled/laughed at our tutor in class.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
The midsem wasn't terribly difficult. They were just particularly anal about the account names, and even then they only accounted for 1/3 of a mark so people must really have been lazy with the study/practising around then.

I found the final to be fairly straightforward for the most part. The multiple choice is always difficult but you if you paid attention in the lectures they actually had already explained it to you in good detail. The practical section wasn't hard at all, but if they are anal about the types of responses they wanted then the marks might be pretty low again...

Overall, really enjoyed my first semester. I had IBP (no one likes IBP), MPO, ABDA, and Eco 1. Eco 1 and ABDA I found to be the most enjoyable. Straightforward content and the lecturers were really good. MPO is interesting but some parts of the course can be quite boring, like Human Resource management. No one likes IBP.

Hopefully next semester when I start Law it's just as good!
have you bought law textbooks yet, because i have first year law textbooks that i bought and won't be using as i dropped from business/law to just business

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
have you bought law textbooks yet, because i have first year law textbooks that i bought and won't be using as i dropped from business/law to just business
Just wondering, how come? You wouldn't have even done any law subjects yet?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
No I haven't bought them yet but I've been told we don't actually need any. I guess I need to ask around to confirm first but I'll come back to you if it turns out I really need them.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
No I haven't bought them yet but I've been told we don't actually need any. I guess I need to ask around to confirm first but I'll come back to you if it turns out I really need them.
alright no worries.

i do recall for legal method and research, there was a requirement that you have read the first 2 chapters prior to the first lecture, so i believe the textbook is vital for the subject.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Can someone give me a brief overview of MPO as i'm doing it next sem. I've read on the subject outline that you have to write 2 essays & then a final exam. How hard is this subject with the assignments & final exam? do you really need to attend the tutes?

honsaw

HSC
N/A
For the final exam for 21129 Managing People and Organisations, is it all short answers or all Multiple choice?

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
For the final exam for 21129 Managing People and Organisations, is it all short answers or all Multiple choice?
The final exam for MPO is all multiple choice (when I sat the exam in autumn 2009). My advice for MPO is that you make up your own questions using the journal articles and textbook readings as the framework for your questions. Ask a lot of questions to the lecturer and talk about your essay ideas with the lecturer. In MPO you have to think very hard and study very hard. MPO used to be UTS's best first year subject in terms of university results. Moreover, you should write chapter summaries and summaries of journal articles when studying MPO.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Can someone give me a brief overview of MPO as i'm doing it next sem. I've read on the subject outline that you have to write 2 essays & then a final exam. How hard is this subject with the assignments & final exam? do you really need to attend the tutes?
A lot of MPO is working through different management theories, leadership theories, organisational traits/culture, communication, and globalisation. A new reading each week, plus textbook chapters. Last reading makes 3/40 m/c questions in the final.

Essays aren't too bad but they mark it meticulously to the extent that only ~2% of people this year got HDs and ~ 20% Ds (these for the essays alone, not the subject overall) and the average being 11/20 and 30/50 for both essays respectively. The final exam is a waste of 90 minutes. They give you practise multiple choice which they then recycle to make 30 of the 40 questions which you can basically get guaranteed correct. Most people finish in the 10 minutes reading time and when you are able to leave literally the entire exam hall got up and left.

And yes, it is compulsory attendance to the tutorials. Our tutor told us if we don't attend 11/13 tutorials we fail the course.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
so there is no short answers in the final exam?
What do you do in the tutes anyways? i've looked at the handbook & it doesn't say anything about attendence though..

Have you done Fundamentals of Business Finance? do they give you past exam papers to practice? what is the assignment like?

thanks

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
so there is no short answers in the final exam?
What do you do in the tutes anyways? i've looked at the handbook & it doesn't say anything about attendence though..

Have you done Fundamentals of Business Finance? do they give you past exam papers to practice? what is the assignment like?

thanks
No short answers, just 40 multiple choice questions. In the tutes you go through the weekly readings in detail basically. They relate to the weekly topic and you may or may not choose to use that particular reading in your essays.

I haven't done Finance yet so I can't help you there, but from memory of what it was like on the Facebook group the nights before the exam you have some sort of practise exam or tutorial questions related to the final. But again, can't be certain.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to be studying ABBA this semester. It's my first time. Hopefully, if I put effort into it, I'll get the most out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)