How did your Vivas go? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

I hear some of you have done your Viva Voces already. Thoughts?

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I think I did OK. I reckon I managed to convince my teacher that I've actually done the tricky stuff in working out a whole world, before I actually start writing in earnest. So the fact that I've only got about 700 words in various places shouldn't impact on me that much. :p

kit scara

Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the
HSC
Woha! Already? How is this preparing us for life as writers? What about the fine art of procrastination, that which has been handed down from generation to generation, each artisan sweating and toiling to make it look like they are ponderous when relaly they're having a cat nap? Are we so far gone in this world of logic? Are we?

kris10

HSC
We havent done our Vivas yet but they are the first week back after the holidays..
word on the grapevine is that one of our examiners has made at least two people cry!!
how much of our work do we actually hand in??
coz i am doing critical response and am still in the process of "researching".

hmm should be a delightful experience...:bomb:

HSC
N/A
kris10 said:
We havent done our Vivas yet but they are the first week back after the holidays..
word on the grapevine is that one of our examiners has made at least two people cry!!
how much of our work do we actually hand in??
coz i am doing critical response and am still in the process of "researching".

hmm should be a delightful experience...:bomb:
How much work gets handed in - if at all - is something that is set by your individual school. Ideally everyone should try to get their first FULL working draft (yes, that means wordcount!) done by the end of the Easter Holidays, however this of course is just a rough guide/just something to aim for.

It's a little scary to hear that the "examiner" (it's just a small assessment dear :) ) is making people cry but this is probably one of three things:

a) They're just hardcore and they're grilling the students to make sure the students have actually thought about what they're doing,
b) the students themselves are cracking under pressure, whether from themselves or otherwise (and this does happen)
c) something which is not covered here :p

On an end note, researching is all well and good BUT at the end of the day you must hand in something. My suggestion for you is to sit down and write a draft NOW if you haven't already, using what information you have. Note places where you're wanting to add things or go into more depth, but have something tangible to work with so people can look at it and understand what it is you're trying to do. Even if you don't have a lot done by the time Vivas come around, if you can make it clear that the work you're doing has a rock-steady foundation and direction they will be more willing to just let you do your own thing. :)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Did mine on tuesday, I don't believe I'll get 20/20, the speaking talent of two people in the class will clip me in the end by at least a mark. It'll be lucky if I hold on to rank 1, might slip to rank 3.

HSC
N/A
HinikuTheNinja said:
I did mine yesterday, got 17/20, which is okay. It was tied-last in the class though. Highest was 19.
Is it really worth beating yourself up about? 17/20 is still a very good mark!

The top mark was just a teensy bit higher. That's not to say "oh you suck", instead it strongly suggests you are in a class where everyone is doing well.

Coming from a selective high school (I don't know whether you did as well) it can be very hard sometimes because everyone is so naturally gifted - even when you try your hardest it's hurts because you can still be towards the bottom of the class. But take a step back from that, look at it objectively from a state-wide perspective - you still did good! Don't screw yourself over by putting yourself down in comparison to other people - look at YOU and how YOU are going, how YOU have improved etc etc. Negativity is a state of mind and can only serve to bring you down.

I understand that ranks can be important in the HSC but believe me, they are not THAT important (heck, once you get out of high school the entire HSC is basically considered redundant lol). Particularly if your entire class does very well, and it sounds like it is. So cheer up, you did good! Be proud!

HSC
N/A
ScottyG said:
Did mine on tuesday, I don't believe I'll get 20/20, the speaking talent of two people in the class will clip me in the end by at least a mark. It'll be lucky if I hold on to rank 1, might slip to rank 3.
*kicks* :p

Rank 3 is still pretty damn good, you realise?

I should probably mention for the record that I am HIGHLY against people beating themselves up because they are not "the best" or "at the top". If you do good, you do good and that's the really important thing.

I don't mind if people want to be be "confessional" about how they went but you should all realise that it is a two-way street.... on this thread there are at least two people who are beating themselves up about not expecting to top/not getting top, and yet you are still doing VERY well. Without getting totally egotistical about everything, it's ok to acknowledge that you did good, y'know, or that you're proud of what you did, or that you did the best job you could do.

Don't loose yourselves in numbers and ranks... that's just sad, and it will make me very sad and angry because there are some people in this world (such as myself) who gave EE2 my all but didn't get 100% as a final mark. But who cares? I gave it my best shot. I'm so proud of that because I know that regardless of what mark I got, I GAVE IT EVERYTHING I HAD. To hear people beat themselves up because they did their best and still aren't happy - when they might have got a far "better" mark than I did - just pisses me off.

At the end of the day, people who refuse to settle for anything other than "the best" will likely end up broken-hearted if/when they don't get it. So long as you always aim to do YOUR best (regardless of what number, rank or squiggly pokemon character that is), then you will be satisfied with your results. And satisfaction is so much better than regret/beating yourself up, don't you think?

Last edited:
J

jhakka

Don't loose yourselves in numbers and ranks... that's just sad, and it will make me very sad and angry because there are some people in this world (such as myself) who gave EE2 my all but didn't get 100% as a final mark. But who cares? I gave it my best shot. I'm so proud of that because I know that regardless of what mark I got, I GAVE IT EVERYTHING I HAD. To hear people beat themselves up because they did their best and still aren't happy - when they might have got a far "better" mark than I did - just pisses me off.
Quoted for truth. Like Lynn, I put a hell of a lot in and didn't get much out. But this doesn't matter because right now I'm exactly where I want to be.

Also, for general "I need help for my Viva" discussion and advice, please check out this thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/9/english-extension-2/102993/assessment-viva-voce.html

:)

HSC
*points to lynn's post and nods* :)

i was more scared about viva than most of my trials... ;)

Lavenderpup

HSC
I'm happy happy happy ^^ Though not everyone has done their speeches (they'll be doing those next term) I'm currently either tied or first in the viva voce at 34/40 ^__^ *yay*

Esqarial

HSC
Our school has taken a different tact with the Vivas. Rather than one pressure-filled interview, we've ten (or so) individual sessions with our teacher over the course of Terms One and Two. Just means we're constantly setting (and achieving) goals in the course and never falling too far behind. It seems a good system.

Oh, and Lavenderpup, switch your 3rd maths unit and SoR for Drama and we're taking identical subjects..

j-mo

HSC
The earliness of all your assessments scares me. Really.

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
I did mine a while ago, but I got 14/15....
Our teacher said that it is impossible to get full marks at that stage as the marking criteria are for the major work as a whole, which obviously hasn't been completed at the time of the Viva... thus those that got a mark or two off from full marks have basically aced it!

J

jhakka

Well done to everyone. I haven't yet seen a result that I would consider poor. :)

JuliaT

HSC
mine was good, although i had written veeeeeery little - it leaned mostly on my bullshitting ability and ideas of what i 'planned' to do. mine was marked out if 25 and i got 20, so i'm happy with that. i babbled a bit though, but that's just because i have a problem with public speaking. i did mine ages ago though - towards the end of HSC term 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)