How different is HSC Engineering Studies to university engineering? (1 Viewer)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I was wondering. Im not an engineering student myself, but i will partake engineering in uni. btw is it worth it to take a bridging course in engineering, just as a 'prep' course for university engineering?

iEdd

HSC
Probably not necessary, but I have found that Engineering Studies has helped a lot - if nothing else than to understand the basic concepts. You're probably better off getting tutoring if you need extra help than possibly delaying studies with a bridging course.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha, HSC is childs play.

you're at a HUGE advantage if you've done 4unit. hsc physics....not THAT necessary (thus far at least)

iEdd

HSC
Ah right, "[full stop]" means "maths [comma]".

Lamak

Ipc
HSC
I'm with iEdd, Engineering Studies gives you a firm ground to stand on for your first year at Uni. If this subject isn't avialable, then a bridging course may give you a better standing point than others but remember there are people who don't and normally do pretty well.

As long as you are covering the basic subjects. 2U Math, Physics and Chem (even though I didnt myself) you will find first year pretty easy. I did a chem bridging course, it was really helpful and after the 2 weeks I found chem a breeze. So have a look and ask, if your results are good and you understand your work there is no need unless you want to.

kooltrainer

HSC
engineering studies in high school is nothing like uni...
all u need for engineerin in uni is 4unit math...
and some physics
otherwise gg

noobonastick

HSC
I am in a state of conflict. I like maths, phys and chem... but I also do engineering studies, and I find it bland and boring. Should I do engineering at Uni?

McLoving

HSC
thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

i see the stars

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this
thank you for this

i see the stars

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this

i see the stars

thank you for this

thank you for this

thank you for this
thank you for this

i see the stars
wth? I got lost at this post :S

iEdd

HSC
I am in a state of conflict. I like maths, phys and chem... but I also do engineering studies, and I find it bland and boring. Should I do engineering at Uni?
Depends which aspects you find boring. It could be you have an uninteresting teacher or you aren't seeing the applications/practical side of engineering, or it could be that engineering isn't for you.

Try to think of which parts of engineering you like and which you don't. For example, if you find the current eng. studies course boring, you may just not like civil or aeronautical engineering and you may prefer electrical or chemical, which aren't covered in much detail.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I took a look at the Engineering studie stextbook and i found it boring too.. Whereas SHC science is logically progressed, ES seems detached, a series of unrelated 'concepts' you must 'memorise' and develop an impulsive reaction to any question you can see, without really understanding. Please dont tell me uni engineering is like that?

iEdd

HSC
It's because ES just gives a broad concept of most things. Engineering at uni will focus a lot more on specific understanding within the courses that you do. Examples of subjects that will be offered as part of an engineering degree at most universities:

• Materials
• Physics
• Chemistry
• Maths - calculus, linear algebra, multivariate calculus, statistics and data
• Electronics/Electrical
• Software and computer systems
• Applied mechanics
• Thermodynamics
• Design projects specific to your discipline

Engineering studies is child's play compared to university, but it was only aimed to introduce you to the broader aspects of engineering.

Why not go to a few uni websites and look at the first year course lists for the types of engineering you are interested and see if the subjects interest you? You should be able to look at course profiles, assessment methods, etc

kooltrainer

HSC
ohhhoooo.. tht physics course is such a shocker...

i dun think engineering is a subject. its much like a school, breaking down into smaller fundamentals like physics and math and chem... Theres not a subject called engineering. There shuldnt be a subject called engineering studies..

hm... yeh i think tht make sense...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)