• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How different is VET info tech compared to IPT (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
IT (VET) is more geared towards the supporting side, how to communicate with clients, and how to operate and fix the PC, and the fundamentals of PC's. IPT on the other hand really studies about the data, and the inner workings of computer systems. They are two different courses, but for a general computing user you would see it inter-relates with each other.

There's not much called tips for this course, you just have to work hard, there's two parts to this course the actual IT (VET) Exam, and the actual Certificate you're working for, Certificate side is baed on the comeptency tasks you do in class, comeptency tasks are more easy as you only require a pass or fail that's it, no marks involved in it.

IT(VET) one thing interestingly is, although at my school they had exams etc and assignments, and they had rankings, these didn't take affect at all, not like the other subjects which include the internal assessment marks to calculate your HSC mark, IT doesn't, it's what you got for your actual Exam is what your HSC mark actually is.

Resource wise, you might want to check out the main site www.boredofstudies.org

there's really no set method to studying this course as their isn't even a well formed syllabus, but i know of a textbook available for now. Just work hard, and whatever tasks is given do it and understand it, post here for questions i'm on here alot to answer them. Take a look at past papers from the official BOS site, www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au. Good luck with your studies.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Freedom_Dragon
So im thinking VET info tech is more practical than IPT.
Is there alot of scaling involved.
Well yeah in terms of hands on there is more thant IPT.

Scaling involved? You mean scaling wise how does each compare? Well IPT scales a little bit higher than IT, just a little, but look scaling means nothing if you do good in the course it's fine.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
IT to me was a waste of time!
hahahah we went to class, cleaned computers, installed software, learn bout protocols and communication, and just basically how to use software

- just stuf you can do half asleep

umm.. yeah ipt is more theory, where in I.t, its more prac

and yeah, theres a few assignments :)

^___^
HSC
IT u do stuff as tooheyz said

and also stuff bout ergonomic which u get recognised..

its very very practical

ipt on the other hand, is very theory base...
and it usually surrounds on the topic such as project management, database and similar stuff

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Freedom_Dragon
Yep,
so...
practical it is.
Sounds like the subjects gonna be breeze.

lol too much of a breeze.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah stuff you can do with ur eyes closed!

:p

hahaha in i.t. all we did was surf the net and go on mirc! LOL

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
They can both be pretty bludgy. I can remember for days on end I would play all of my favourite old games on a Sega Master System emulator I downloaded. :p

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
Well thank you to people out there for sacrificing a piece of ur time to share some experience with us all.
Most appreciate.

If there are anybody out there who would like to fill this thread with experiences as well as notes and resources, ur most welcome.

kkorpz

Casual Wanderer
HSC
There's a textbook you can use for IT.. its called "How computers work".. pretty much the basics and fundamentals of IT.

I did both IT and IPT.. the two subjects only interrelated for yr11.. in yr 12 they had nothing at all in common.

True.. IT is a bludge.. its incredibly easy and doesn't take much of your time. IPT on the other hand.. you have to understand the "inner workings of computer systems".

In the end.. if u want more practical stuff.. i suggest IT.. If you want theory stuff do IPT.

ugh.. i was about 1 or 2 marks from getting band 5 in IT.. so annoyed..

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
well,
i geuss it wont be too hard for those people out there who r doing IT intensive one yr program [yr 11 + yr 12] since its so horribly easy.

people should take advantage of this horribly great opportunity to score horribly high and horribly kick ass.

Yeah!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by deviant
dont ppl doing this course open computers up and stuff?
Yes occasionally but not everyday... the test that you know how to connect your stuff, etc...

Chang

HSC
yeah i had fucking IT today (or yesterday), and all we did was fucking clean a computer. i couldnt stop swearing today in class coz it was pretty much BS. the only good thing is our teacher promised us distinctions =\

^___^
HSC
cleaning?

yea..hahahhaa

i didn't clean my shit and i still got ticked off coz i did almost everything in work placement

i learn more in work placement than 2yrs of IT

hahaa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)