• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How difficult is to transfer to 98 ATAR cut off engineering course? (1 Viewer)

Michaelleroy

HSC
Hello, I'm currently in MQ uni doing mechanical engineering and was wondering what GPA or overall score of the marks I should be getting to transfer in a course that requires an ATAR of 98(mechanical space) if i got an ATAR in the early 70's and doing well in uni so far I'm estimating 75% overall in all my subjects. Would it be better if I choose flexible engineering then try transferring internally? Also one other question is if I can transfer after 1 semester, or is it 1 year?

engineering

HSC
N/A
A 1 year full time equivalent of GPA = 6.0 (high distinction average) is roughly equal to an ATAR of 96. You would not be able to get into USyd mid year, since you wont have 1 year of tertiary - and you would be assessed on your 70 ATAR.

Also, be realistic. Mech Space has a cut off of 98 for a reason.

The top 20% of students who got into engineering at Sydney have an ATAR of 97.5 or better/
The top 20% of students in first year engineering have a first year average of 74 or better.

Also - the concept of "flexible first year" is not really valid if you move there after first year somewhere else. If you want to claim credit passing everything at MQ first year (eg maths, physics, basic electrics etc), then essentially you want to move into 2nd year engineering at Sydney, and you would essentially have to move immediately into your chosen stream based on your marks. If you were not at the 98 or equivalent you would not be able to go into MEch Space, but only mech.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Don't see the big deal with space engineering but if you look up the flexible first year guide it states that you will need a minimum distinction average to be eligible for the course.
They will use either a combination of your ATAR + GPA/WAM or use purely GPA/WAM (whichever is better) after your first year to determine if you get in.

Michaelleroy

HSC
How much % of your ATAR do you think is combined with the GPA and what would be the equivalent of distinction?

Silly Sausage

HSC
A lot of the times it's 50/50 but it may differ otherwise. GPA wise it would be 4.0/4.0.

engineering

HSC
N/A
They will use either a combination of your ATAR + GPA/WAM or use purely GPA/WAM (whichever is better) after your first year to determine if you get in.
There are two different scenarios here.

The first is entry into USyd engineering in the first place. For someone who has already been at another uni for at least a year, they use an equivalent ATAR calculated as follows: The greater of (the ATAR equivalent obtained from your GPA at the other uni) or (the 50:50 average of your HSC ATAR and the ATAR equivalent obtained from your GPA at the other uni).

The second scenario is someone who is already in flexible first year at usyd and wants to move to another stream after FFY finishes - this is covered by Clause 2 of http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/engineering/rules/faculty_resolutions.shtml.

engineering

HSC
N/A
How much % of your ATAR do you think is combined with the GPA and what would be the equivalent of distinction?
Does it really matter? Are you going to try any more or less hard in your assignments or exams knowing it was 50:50 or 60:40 or 70:30. If you knew you needed exactly 75% as your final mark, would you try any less hard in the exam?

Michaelleroy

HSC
Does it really matter? Are you going to try any more or less hard in your assignments or exams knowing it was 50:50 or 60:40 or 70:30. If you knew you needed exactly 75% as your final mark, would you try any less hard in the exam?
Thanks for your responses, I'll probably do a flexible year and do my best to get 75%+. Reason why I asked is to set a goal for myself because as a lazy person I can do better than what I usually get if I put effort. Realistically thinking I believe anything is possible if you put the effort.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)