First, let's ensure that we understand what an intranet is. It is a private network maintained by a company or government organisation and is based on the Internet Protocol (IP) to securely share any part of an organisation's information or Network Operating Systems within that organisation. An intranet can only be accessed by specific users.
Regarding how devices can connect to an intranet, there are a few ways this can be done:
- Laptops can use wireless TCP/IP connections to connect to an intranet through an Internet VPN the way you would expect a wired connection to work.
- Some services use PC Card wireless modems to provide a network connection.
- Other devices use a cell phone as a modem.
With that being said, I don't believe you are required to know how devices connect to an intranet because this is not part of the syllabus, hence the reason no such information is included in the IPT textbooks that you have metioned. Regarding intranets, the IPT syllabus states the following:
- Students learn about: similarities and differences between the Internet, intranets and extranets.
- Students learn to: compare and contrast the Internet, intranets and extranets.
As per the syllabus, you are only required to compare and contrast the Internet, intranets and extranets. Knowledge of how devices connect to an intranet is likely beyond the scope of the syllabus and is hence not required.
Feel free to share your predictions and thoughts regarding the IPT HSC exam in the following thread:
For the exam on 2 December. Good luck with the exam Class of 2021, on behalf of us all on BoS! Let us know your predictions and thoughts regarding the exam here! :D
I hope this helps!