• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do i become ok with getting a low atar? (+a note to myself in december) (2 Viewers)

HSC
Hey! So, havent been doing to hot this year. I don't expect to get a high atar whatsoever, maximum in the 60s range for me.

Im not at all worried about universities and things, really there are so many other pathways, and the courses i am aiming for have a very achievable range, or have good acceptance rates.

The problem surrounds guilt, i think. Genuinely, i love school - and i love learning. Every single subject i do i wish i could just take the time to truly immerse myself in it, and appreciate it for what it is...because these things excite me. So its the fact that i feel i am doing the subjects i love a disservce. I haven't shown them enough love, or i haven't taken the time to appreciate them. Or, i overthink things so much to the point i loose all practicality in what im doing.

Im just not a practical person, im not fast, i think too much and i stall - and its getting to a point im beginning to try and accept the fact that i will be heartbroken by my atar.

How does one come to accept it? This isn't to say im not trying at all anymore, god no -i just don't want to shock myself.

Theres so much social and personal pressure on getting a high mark, like it says something about your worth as a person Or your intelligence, or how much you care about a subject - and i really struggle to break away from that.

Sorry if this is at all a bit dreary, i think i just need to write something - somewhere - i need guidance i think.

(Note to myself in December:
Whatever happens now, you shouldn't be afraid. Because today is the most perfect day i have ever seen.
Now, get outside and go take a walk, you absolute silly egg. And then reply to this message with a YELP review of your sob. (1-5 stars - 1 being a terrible, uncomfortable sob - 5 being one of those really gross and snotty but like really satisfying ones. You know the one....))

Last edited:

wildwestworm

HSC
Wow this sounds just like me at the start of this year😭 Btw this reflection is so amazing and well written, you explained it so well!!
My predicted ATAR is similar to yours - 60s to low 70s, but I'm actually completely fine with it now. Obviously I didn't feel this way for a majority of year 12 but I learned to just accept that it doesn't really define me at all. I know that's cliche and many people will disagree but I still believe it's true

I started doing things outside of school, I got a job, I talked to other people older and younger than me and I realised how little it (their ATAR or grades) defined them. I would talk to them about things I was interested in and it made me realise how little my (predicted) ATAR changed that about me. I was still passionate and knowledgeable about things I wasn't good at in school and I still had so much love for those subjects, just not in a school setting. Your passion for your subjects is what matters the most, that's what sustains your interests and gives you more satisfaction in life. I know a lot of this is easier said than done, but don't anticipate disappointment because what you're worrying about is still uncertain. You have no clue how things will play out and we still have a decent amount of time. I hope this made sense and honestly I'm the worst person to get guidance from but good luck :) I'm rooting for you :D

Btw everyone learns so differently. When you start learning at your own pace and in a way that suits you best you will truly understand how capable you are and definitely not think of yourself as impractical. You are an entirely different person to everyone else doing the HSC, you have to definitely learn to accept that. Again good luck 😄

axe

HSC
Hey! So, havent been doing to hot this year. I don't expect to get a high atar whatsoever, maximum in the 60s range for me.

Im not at all worried about universities and things, really there are so many other pathways, and the courses i am aiming for have a very achievable range, or have good acceptance rates.

The problem surrounds guilt, i think. Genuinely, i love school - and i love learning. Every single subject i do i wish i could just take the time to truly immerse myself in it, and appreciate it for what it is...because these things excite me. So its the fact that i feel i am doing the subjects i love a disservce. I haven't shown them enough love, or i haven't taken the time to appreciate them. Or, i overthink things so much to the point i loose all practicality in what im doing.

Im just not a practical person, im not fast, i think too much and i stall - and its getting to a point im beginning to try and accept the fact that i will be heartbroken by my atar.

How does one come to accept it? This isn't to say im not trying at all anymore, god no -i just don't want to shock myself.

Theres so much social and personal pressure on getting a high mark, like it says something about your worth as a person Or your intelligence, or how much you care about a subject - and i really struggle to break away from that.

Sorry if this is at all a bit dreary, i think i just need to write something - somewhere - i need guidance i think.

Whatever happens now, you shouldn't be afraid. Because today is the most perfect day i have ever seen.
Now, get outside and go take a walk, you absolute silly egg. And then reply to this message with a YELP review of your sob. (1-5 stars - 1 being a terrible, uncomfortable sob - 5 being one of those really gross and snotty but like really satisfying ones. You know the one....))
someone has to get a shit atar 🤷‍♀️ its a ranking, you rank will be placed somewhere, simply how it works u cannot be the best at everything

coolcat6778

HSC

TLDR, Just remember you had it coming (subjects)

sakinluvo

HSC

bro how cooked are you to start pondering about the different 5 stages of grief.

fesi2w3

If I don't get a 99+ it's over for everyone
HSC
Once you realise there's a world outside of the ATAR HSC "Here's how to get 99.95 ..." study grind etc etc chamber, you'll come to terms with your ATAR. There's a billion different pathways you can go on, the tiny box that is high school is nothing in comparison to it. You should take your guilt and put it towards being productive in other ways :smile: Self-improvement, starting a new hobby, meet new people, plan out your goals etc. When you feel as though there's nothing of you/your world other than this one specific thing, it hurts like hell when it's taken away from you in some way, and it's only natural since you've spent so many years of your life, so many nights working towards it. But that's all in your head, it's not really the be-all end-all. Nobody even cares about or mentions ATAR after settling into young-adulthood

If you feel guilty about your ATAR, find a new endeavour to make yourself proud about

enoilgam

HSC
Once you realise there's a world outside of the ATAR HSC "Here's how to get 99.95 ..." study grind etc etc chamber, you'll come to terms with your ATAR. There's a billion different pathways you can go on, the tiny box that is high school is nothing in comparison to it. You should take your guilt and put it towards being productive in other ways :smile: Self-improvement, starting a new hobby, meet new people, plan out your goals etc. When you feel as though there's nothing of you/your world other than this one specific thing, it hurts like hell when it's taken away from you in some way, and it's only natural since you've spent so many years of your life, so many nights working towards it. But that's all in your head, it's not really the be-all end-all. Nobody even cares about or mentions ATAR after settling into young-adulthood

If you feel guilty about your ATAR, find a new endeavour to make yourself proud about
So true. The HSC/ATAR is so so overrated in terms of importance.

HSC
i think it's worth noting plenty of courses accept 60 atars, if u still plan to uni. even mainstream unis like wsu hv lsr requirements so low.

i think thinking of atar as just a pathway to enter the course u want to enter (sometimes with benefits such as scholarships and internships) helps to put things into perspective. ur worth doesn't come from a number that reflects how long u studied during ur late teens. unless u went to a private school and did extensive tutoring that u did not pay for, thereby wasting someone's money, there are no real justifications to feel guilty for getting a bad atar. so it'll be ok. life will go on and u can find ur way regardless of atar. look after urself :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)