how do i bring up my eng adv mrks (1 Viewer)

king_ph@

HSC
ok i started eng adv thinking iit would be hard and expecting to work. so right i was. its a shame im not so right in the responses i write.

i need advice on how to bring up my marks in expresing ideas in essays or whatever. follow the conepts themes and what not of texts but cant write em down so easily.

im currently ranging 60-70 in asesments and clas essays and want to pull 77-85 if possible

are there some good guides out there that i should look into? im vry mathematical formula is good.

are there any english brains out there?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
king_ph@ said:
ok i started eng adv thinking iit would be hard and expecting to work. so right i was. its a shame im not so right in the responses i write.

i need advice on how to bring up my marks in expresing ideas in essays or whatever. follow the conepts themes and what not of texts but cant write em down so easily.

im currently ranging 60-70 in asesments and clas essays and want to pull 77-85 if possible

are there some good guides out there that i should look into? im vry mathematical formula is good.

the best way to improve your english to keep writing ! look at past model answers and see how their structure and the depth thats put in. then apply that to your own writing. also do unseen passages. i am crap at them i admit but once you do a lot of them it'll improve and you find it a lot easier to find techniques and interrept meaning in texts.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
if you want to perform better in english, get yourself a good tutor. (i tutor english...)
the basic formula you can follow is name a technique, give an example, then link it to the text/explain why it adds meaning to the text. i know being the stressy hsc year, you have no time for leisurely activites, but you should try to read more books..the more books you read, the larger your vocab will expland and this will improve your writing

nwatts

HSC
Write, write, write. The more you practice, the better you get.

Extremely simple.

ladyknight

HSC
The best 'formula' that worked for me is to first find a generalised (but inteligent/"insightful") thesis and expand the structure of your paragraphs- I find that structuring by mini-theses (each different and detailed to your main) works well, though I've heard that structuring by techniques work well too.

Don't forget to link each technique back to the thesis, and teachers seem to love it when you say how the main theme is supported, AND how each 'further meaning' is created to give you a deeper understanding.

Hope that helps, and feel free to PM me anytime ;) .

tennis_playa

HSC
hey im having some trouble with imag. journeys......we hav 2 write a creative writing piece on it, and also we hav like 3 questions on imag. journeys on 3 different texts....im sooo lost so if ne 1 cood giv me some tips that wood be awesome...for half yrlys

santaslayer

HSC
1) Your introduction should accurately convey how you interpret the question. From there on, you are free to answer the question as broadly or specificly as you like, provided that your interpretation is within range of the criteria.

2) Most things you write will have no right or wrong answer. The only 'wrong' answer is one that is not correctly justified.

3) Justification broadly involves technique. Get yourself an Excel guide or something similar and understand the sorts of techniques composers use with various texts.

4) There is always a desire to write copious amounts in the HSC. Do this by elaboration, not repetition. It gets boring and annoying.

5) Study at most, three key scenes in your text which can be applied to most questions. This is helpful and time saving. Understand the key points and meanings for each scene. Write a list of techniques used and its mode of expression.

6) Even if you have no real idea if what the questions asks, at least pretend you do. :p

HSC
N/A
king_ph@ said:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. *breathes* Never mind. You have a whole year to work on your essay skills. :)

My first bit of advice - baby steps, baby steps - is to start learning about basic essay paragraph formats. I personally would not push you to start work on integrating just yet - let's stick with something simple :)

The first essay 'formula' I learn was called "S.E.E', although there are variants around like S.E.X etc. This should appeal to your mathematical side:

S = Statement- This is where you say your point, such as "Ondaatje's use of imagery is interesting and allows the audience to better relate to what he's trying to say"
E = Example- This is where you give an example from the text, such as a quote. "The leaves fell through the air, twisting, turning, and finally lying still on the path"
E = Explaination- This is where you explain why your example was relevant to the statement you made. This is also where you can talk about the point you brought up in relation to the rest of the text/texts as a whole - for now, really concentrate on going into depth about the statement you made earlier.

Once you get into the habit of being able to make solid statements and back them up (which is the content aspect) you can start work on making your essays look pretty by improving style :) But work on one thing at a time.

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
hey there
I didnt do too badly in 2unit english last year, ended up with 87 - so based on that you can deem my advise helpful or completely useless - or both.
I would tell you that you want to do 3 main things:

1)WHAT (what themes/ideas/issues does the composer raise)
2)HOW (TECHNIQUES)
3)TEXTUAL EVIDENCE - and i guess that means quotes

Always always always use evidence from the text and techniques to support the composer's ideas and anything you have to say about the text - that should help with your marks a bit - and not make english seem like a huge, meaningless drag.

volition

arr.
HSC
Write practice responses and hand them in for marking to your teacher.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
IronMaiden said:
lame fag. wow. Your vocabulary astounds me.
and your stupidity astounds me. It doesn't matter though, because you suck in life anyway.

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
king_ph@ said:

you mention 'mathematical formulae' haha...here goes

remember that you can break down writing essays into how u present mathematical proofs. u start off with what to prove first (e.g. prove that X = Y, or something or rather). this your argument - WHAT U WANT TO SET OUT TO PROVE, OR TO ARGUE - WHAT U ARGUE ESSENTIALLY GOES TO ANSWER THE ESSAY QUESTION SET OUT IN THE EXAM.

Then, you are given some material (e.g. some diagrams, some figures, some assumptions, some formulae...) to work with. this 'material' is equivalent to the TEXTS AND TECHNIQUES that u use in the essays.

u know that in maths you have to USE the material to develop relationships, develop formulae, apply principles to eventually lead you onto getting the answers in the end. in english, this is equivalent to ANALYSING TECHNIQUES AND IDEAS to show or prove a certain point.

now, in maths, u present your material in a way that is 'mathematically' correct, or u use 'mathematical logic' (e.g. algebra, arithmetic, etc...) to present your findings. in english, this 'way' of presenting your material that u find in texts is the STRUCTURE.

so surprisingly, and ironically, there is a distinct correlation between maths and english. quite interesting really. speaks volumes.

hope this helps, M.D. ^^

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Might like to have a look at this: i typed this up when i was in year 12. although it shouldnt be in this thread, i think it might help canvas the fundamentals of essay writing. only with getting the fundamentals right then u can start to develop complex ideas and arguments to weave into the structure of a discursive essay. otherwise, this is purely for either 1) viewing pleasure OR 2) benefit for other people who are struggling at essay writing as well!

enjoy! ^^

My Basic Simplistic Essay Structure:
by AKA Mountain.Dew
Note: You may choose to use this or not, it is up to you.

Introduction:
*Your basic crux of your argument, or what you are going to tell to the marker..
Example: Journeys are expressed by self-reflection.
* Your points that you want to talk about, how it will support your argument, your crux.
e.g.
* The learning curve in journeys
* The cyclical nature of journeys
* Your texts for support to help you in your argument. Give small detail into how they will support our text.
E.g. Using a similar structure to Lime Tree Bower my Prison by Coleridge, Alice in Wonderland supports the idea of the learning curve in journeys.

Body Paragraph:
* What you want to illustrate to the marker, to support your argument.
*Your analysis of TECHNIQUES, in logical steps at a time.
E.g.
* Frost at Midnight:
*It begins with the quiet, serene atmosphere of “frost’s secret ministry”
*Ends with the same serene atmosphere “silent icicles…”
*Therefore, this same atmosphere at beginning and end stresses that journeys are cyclic.

IMPORTANT: LINK BACK TO WHAT POINT YOU WANT TO ILLUSTRATE
IMPORTANT: LINK BACK TO THE BASIC ARGUMENT

Conclusion:
* Draw ALL YOUR LINKS together how the LINKS connect together. Bring it to a pinnacle point, and how these links illustrate your basic idea, or argument.
* E.g. The confluence of events: timing, ambition, power of the people, representations of power…all lead to the rise of Caesar, and the fall of Antony, demonstrating the natural cycle of power.

ALWAYS REMEMBER LINK, LINK, LINK! Always relate to what you’ve said to what you want to say all along.

In a nutshell, a discursive essay is:
1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]TELL THEM WHAT YOUR GOING TO TELL THEM
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]TELL THEM
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]TELL THEM AGAIN WHAT YOU TOLD THEM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Follow this basic analysis breakdown:
The <technique> in <quote/text reference> <reinforces/changes/reveals/magnifies/ etc…> of <meaning>.

Example: The sea-faring imagery1 of the people “like a vagabond to a flag upon a stream, goes to and fro, lackeying the varying tide” 2 effectively highlights3 the people’s slippery nature4 of allegiances.

1 Technique
2 The quote
3 the technique does what…
4 meaning

tigerian

HSC
N/A
king_ph@ said:

Do you want some tutoring from a qualified teacher. I can help you if you like?

Ian 0417141205

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Dont worry if you suck like shit at eng adv during the yeari was looking for like a hsc mark of 70 ended up getting 86. So just keep marks above 60 and you'll make it.

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
King_ph@,

Alot of the responses here are emphasising the need to continually "write write write" to improve your English responses. While this is essentially true, there is alot more to it than this.

First, I think you need to read read read!
It is impossible to write until you have a thorough and detailed understanding of your topic and furthermore a strong knowledge of HOW this topic is represented in different texts.

To understand your topic, examine the rubric and subsequently ask your teacher questions. They are there for you to use so milk them for all they've got.
---------------
Eg: (imaginative journeys from syllabus document)

Focus: Imaginative Journeys
Through this focus, students explore the ways in which texts depict imaginative
These journeys take us into worlds of imagination, speculation and inspiration.
explore a range of imaginative journeys, from journeys of intellectual discovery
of pure imagination. Students examine the underlying assumptions about these
imaginative journeys and consider the power of the imagination to challenge
thinking. In their responding and composing, students reflect on the ways imaginative
journeys broaden their understanding of the world and themselves.
---------------
From the above it is clear that the imaginative journey involves speculation, obviously metaphysical, which provides inspiration and discovery which challenges the person/traveller's original thinking.

However, this is not the be all and end all. It is important that you develop your own interpretation of the journey (or topic in question) which you can discuss. Read past work samples, high-range responses, study guides and whatever else you can get your hands on. When reading constantly make notes on what the journey is to you.

Once you have a good understanding of the topic, it will be much easier to identify textual evidence.

Now alot of fuss is made over Techniques, but a technique on its own means nothing. Too many people's responses I read just list a variety of techniques with no common thread.
Don't go out of your way to use a technique just because it's there if it doesn't have a clear and obvious link to your thesis/understanding of the text. Once you extract a technique which is useful, DISCUSS it. Most of the Board of Study's high range samples make use of extensive discussion of each technique used. So, rather than having 6-8 techniques for each text, maybe use 4-5 but clearly explain how it links to meaning. (This is often done by examining the connotations/associations/allusions and tone provoked by a technique)

Now its time to Write write write. Take time experimenting with writing- in different forms or with different structures. Then, compare your work with high range responses or have a teacher or someone critically review it. Constructive criticism from other people usually gives alot of valuable insight. This will allow you to become more confident with writing and hopefully improve your english marks.

It does take alot of time and effort to acheive this, but believe me the people getting the top responses dedicate alot of time and relentless effort into realising their goals, so don't be fooled by the people with the top 5 rankings who say "oh yea i get trashed every weekend don't do any work" - cause its bullshit.

Good luck with your writing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)