How do I do well in a class taught by a crap teacher? (1 Viewer)

mollytee

HSC
Ok so at the beginning of the year I had a pretty decent legal teacher until the second term came and she was offered a better position. Once she left us in term 2 we ended up with one of the most unbelievable teacher. Honestly, she gives us the booklets she's told to give us and talks about random things in class. She doesnt understand most things and looks for us for advice. Sometimes she just puts on unrelated material for us to watch and its really frustrating. First term I was coming first in the grade. Now, I'm behind and confused and definitely not coming first. I know I need to be responsible for myself but for me personally the teacher plays a major role in my learning and motivation. How do I secure my ranking again and keep on track in year 12? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Find a proper legal studies textbook (PM) and do as many past papers as you can :) I had to learn the 2U prelim maths content by myself (I had a term) and I ended up getting 89% on my yearly (not great but I mean, look at the circumstances). I understand maths and legal are really different but take good notes from the textbook and then find different case studies so you can be more versatile.

aoc

HSC
I agree with boredofstudiesuser, dont pay attention if class and do your own notes (unless the teacher gets angry) and learn off your textbook+past papers. Not sure if you do essay writing in legal but if you do then do some essays and hand them to your teacher to mark + go ahead and ask clarification on any thing you dont understand rather than sitting in class doing nothing.

mollytee

HSC
I agree with boredofstudiesuser, dont pay attention if class and do your own notes (unless the teacher gets angry) and learn off your textbook+past papers. Not sure if you do essay writing in legal but if you do then do some essays and hand them to your teacher to mark + go ahead and ask clarification on any thing you dont understand rather than sitting in class doing nothing.
Thankyou!

Sxerks3

HSC
I had a pretty crap Ext. 1 Maths teacher, so I had to do all of the work myself. I typically just learned all of the content that I need to know through the Ext. 1 syllabus, as well as the notification. I do a lot of questions, progressively getting harder, before moving onto past papers.
For legal studies, I suggest just go through a Legal Studies textbook, and then just keep doing past papers. That way, you're able to cover everything that you'll be tested on, as well as the added exam lingo that comes with examinations.

crystalapprentice

HSC
If your classmates are good people, pay attention in class, then ask questions you don't understand with them and work in groups. If you have other legal studies classes in your school that are taught by a different teacher who you know to be ''better'' than your current teacher, then also talk with students from those other classes. If you're fortunate enough and have the money, hiring a tutor once a week could be useful if you're willing to do extra work on top of the hw you have in school. Also if you're part of fb discussion groups, then you can post questions you're not sure about as well. hopefully that somewhat helps you out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)