• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do I even? (1 Viewer)

Gods_Spear

HSC
I was doing the 2020 Maths Extension HSC and the paper was relatively easy (other then 14 b iii, if you get that question right under exam pressure you are the god of math, like what is that question???? Like i got it once I checked the solutions but how do you spot that stuff??) but I had no idea how to do any of 14 a. I don't remember studying it, i think its the binomial expansion stuff but how should I study for it? What would it be under in atomi or the textbook?
1727824102588.png
This is definitely a big gap for me in ext 1. What are the chances they assign this many marks to it again this year?

fluffchuck

HSC
Uni Grad
I would say that 14a(i) and 14a(ii) are standard questions (in the sense that they have appeared in many past Extension 1 exams). You should have learnt the theory for these questions previously, they are binomial expansions, under the topic of Combinatorics.

I would recommend that you go back to your Extension 1 textbook, and revise the theory + do some simple questions for binomial expansions, as well as perms and combs (more applicable to 14a(iii) and 14a(iv)). Once you've done this, I would move on to completing as many Combinatorics questions from past exam papers, so that you're used to the style of exam-styled questions :)

funnytomato

HSC
You can check past HSC or trial papers for similar examples and the techniques should be somewhat similar/standard. For example in past HSC extension 1 paper there is :
2010 7b and 7c
2018 14b
2015 14c
etc...

la_sportive

HSC
It's definitely achievable though I must admit I couldn't do it first time. These kind of topics are about exposure above anything else.
For part I, consider what 2nCn means in terms of the expansion.
ii is kind of easier if you're not used to this kind of thing
In the end, if this is a topic your school (like mine) didn't touch on nearly enough, look out for binomial questions and just practice them until you get better at them.

igor9

HSC
I was doing the 2020 Maths Extension HSC and the paper was relatively easy (other then 14 b iii, if you get that question right under exam pressure you are the god of math, like what is that question???? Like i got it once I checked the solutions but how do you spot that stuff??) but I had no idea how to do any of 14 a. I don't remember studying it, i think its the binomial expansion stuff but how should I study for it? What would it be under in atomi or the textbook?
View attachment 44406
This is definitely a big gap for me in ext 1. What are the chances they assign this many marks to it again this year?
i did that before, u just gotta be methodical with ur approach and it should be aight.

Gods_Spear

HSC
I Appreciate it, been going over the binomial stuff and its crazy how i knew non of it other then the simple binomial expansion. I must have missed the class or something. I'll go over the more complex stuff in the textbook and grind some questions out. Thank you 🙏

Chiprr

Somewhat Active Member
HSC
We didn't nearly go into enough depth in class for it, so it is definitely what everyone said with exposure being the important part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)