how do i gain weight? (1 Viewer)

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
im always been underweight and want to get my shit together in the pre uni period. how do i do it? believe me ive tried to 'eat more', i ate like 4 meals a day during hsc period sincr i barely slept

Flop21

HSC
Sleep. How are you going to gain muscle / weight if your body isn't getting enough time to do that? Hint, that stuff happens during your sleep.

Lots of protein, hint chicken. Protein powder, shakes etc. workout, but again make sure you're getting enough protein to give your body fuel to put on weight/muscle.

crowley926

HSC
Watch out for your internal fat levels - don't just keep eating and eating cos if it doesn't show outside that means it's building up inside (unless you exercise heaps)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
im always been underweight and want to get my shit together in the pre uni period. how do i do it? believe me ive tried to 'eat more', i ate like 4 meals a day during hsc period sincr i barely slept
Keep a food diary for a normal sample week.

Find out how many kilojoules/calories (approx no need to be overly accurate) per day that equates to (use some online sites which have reliable food energy databases to help with this).

Find out your average daily energy requirements (there are heaps of calculators online or in apps that can help you determine this).

Find out how big the difference is and then determine what sort of food/energy you need to make up that difference going forward.

If you can get a sufficient energy surplus then weight gain is effectively guaranteed so finding out what the numbers are will help you understand why you might be underweight.

If you are concerned about the type of weight you gain, then that's a little more complicated because you then need to keep an eye on your intake of things like protein, fats and carbs. But for starters just focus on kilojoules/calories for now.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Over the HSC I've lost pretty much all my muscle. So pathetic lol.

Loudvicuna

HSC
Eat more

Force yourself to eat every 2 - 3 hours and as much as you can. Over the course of a week your appetite will start to increase where you can eat larger amounts without filling so fast. Drink water too after meals to expand your stomach as much as you can. Then you will be able to eat around 7 meals per day and gain weight. You can count your macros or just play it by ear by weighing yourself every week

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Start a bodybuilding routine (as opposed to strength routine) and plan your nutrition to get enough protein and other macronutrients to build muscle. You don't want to just gain fat, youre better off jsut being skinny than being heavier but only having fat.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So at the start of the year I was around 38kg (was like that for the past few yrs) and now I am 45kg. Basically I've been eating a lot of unhealthy junk food almost every single day - burgers, chips etc etc. my diet is very high in fat and that's seemed to help me gain weight.

Before I had tried eating a lot in general of healthy food but that didn't do much at all. Protein shakes, I put on maybe a kilo after oike 3 months, didn't help much tbh.

A diet high in fat, although terrible to my body, has helped me gain weight the most. But you have to be pretty religious about it. Like you need to eat out at least 5 days/week or it won't work. Remainder of the days make sure you eat healthy stuff so ur not just a fat blob,.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
So at the start of the year I was around 38kg (was like that for the past few yrs) and now I am 45kg. Basically I've been eating a lot of unhealthy junk food almost every single day - burgers, chips etc etc. my diet is very high in fat and that's seemed to help me gain weight.

Before I had tried eating a lot in general of healthy food but that didn't do much at all. Protein shakes, I put on maybe a kilo after oike 3 months, didn't help much tbh.

A diet high in fat, although terrible to my body, has helped me gain weight the most. But you have to be pretty religious about it. Like you need to eat out at least 5 days/week or it won't work. Remainder of the days make sure you eat healthy stuff so ur not just a fat blob,.
Thanks. For the protein shakes did you take enough of them? I've heard from a lot of people they help, I'm probably going to try them and just see what happens

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Thanks. For the protein shakes did you take enough of them? I've heard from a lot of people they help, I'm probably going to try them and just see what happens
I had about 2 a day. Cos I usually drink 2 glasses of milk/day and I just replaced that routine with the shakes. It may have not helped me gain anything cos I didn't work out. I pretty much never exercise.

Flop21

HSC
I always assumed the protein was to help build on the muscle (which doesn't 'get bigger' without working out).

I think it's a bit different for guys as well. They're able to put on muscle in more volume and more easily.

Protein (hint don't just have protein shakes, have it in your meals as well) + gym OP, good luck.

Loudvicuna

HSC
Protein shakes wont add fuck all and aren't necessary, you need to eat at a caloric surplus. 1g protein per pound of BM is more than enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)