How do i get HECS HELP if i dont have a tax file number yet? (1 Viewer)

gwiz

HSC
How do i get HECS HELP if i dont have a tax file number yet?
If i apply for one today, how long will it take to get to me.
Also i need this by the 30th? or can i take longer? thank you.

HSC
You need to apply for one (I do too). I've got estimates for how long it will take varying from a few days to over a month, so I hope we've got longer than the 30th. It says "by census date" - anyone know when that is?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
apply for a TFN asap dude

you have till the end of march, it shouldnt take more than 3 weeks if you do the application properly

doet

gwiz

HSC
But when we are accepting the offer on the UNSW student site, do we just leave the TFN space blank?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah either that you ring administration at UNSW and tell them you've just applied for it

when you accept/enrol, you will be given a HECS/HELP form (carbon copy thing), it's really the form that you will need to have your TFN for.

that form doesnt need to be in till the end of march, so it wont matter if you accept your offer without a TFN, so long as you have it by the time that form needs to be submitted

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
and so if u dont have TFN u basically give up a few weeks for timetables right?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
not sure what you mean. You just inform them you're in the process of getting one and they'll let you off the hook until you submit it to them

ATO usually take 3 weeks tops to generate a TFN for you.

SpoonSamba

HSC
The problem is that its all online and the site wont let you progress if you haven't put your tfn in.

I just had this problem and the site said if in the case that you don't have a tfn just put down that you're going to pay upfront, apply for a tfn and then when you get it go back online and change your payment details to hecs.

which is what i did.

just make sure you change it back by the census date: 31st of March

joshlols

HSC
Well, is it ok if I leave the tax file number box blank and just continue with the application then go back and alter it (or call UNSW) when I recieve the tax file number?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Well, is it ok if I leave the tax file number box blank and just continue with the application then go back and alter it (or call UNSW) when I recieve the tax file number?
The query that the OP & other people are asking is very valid. Basically you'll need TFN before March so go to your local ATO and apply for one. Usually if all goes well, you should get one in a week. Don't worry about your offer lapsing, because by the stage you have gotten up to (i.e. HECS-HELP form), you have already confirmed that the offer has been accepted. All you need to worry about is your Semester 1 unit of study enrolments. And besides last day to enrol is March 15 lol, plenty of time :)

Hope this helps most of you guys out, and congrats to all of you on your offers.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
I'm quite sure there's an option somewhere to put your TFN in later. I could remember wrong though...

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
i heard it will take between a week and 28 days, depending on how busy they are.
I suppose it will be a bit longer this time of year as lots of people are applying at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)