how do i install 2 windows (1 Viewer)

Jesus

Christ
HSC
N/A
im using 2000 at the moment and i want to install 98, i want both of them and able to select at the beginning of boot up, how do i do it, thx in advance

Huy

HSC
N/A
To dual boot between 2000 and 98, you should have at least two partitions, or two drives (physical).

From Windows 2000, you will be able to install 98 to another drive, (do not install 98 onto the existing drive C:)

You will then have a boot loader to select which OS will boot at startup. (generally allowing 30 seconds to elapse before the default OS will boot, in this case, Windows 2000).

If you don't see a boot loader, you'll need to modify/edit your boot.ini file

So you'll be requiring different hard disks (say C and D), or two different partitions (again, C and D) on the same physical hard disk.

I've never had to dual-boot between 98 and 2000, although, had I wanted to, I would install 98 beforehand, and allow Windows 2000 to arrange the boot sequence/boot.ini for me (personal preference, I would imagine that 2000 has an 'advanced' boot manager than 98 does when it comes to dual-booting OSes).

Once you've got 98 installed, boot up into 98, pop in your Windows 2000 CD, and you'll be prompted to upgrade, select Yes. Once you're in the wizard, you'll be able to select which partition will be used to install 2000 on, so you'll want to install a clean copy of 2000, (which should be something like: "Install a new copy of Windows 2000 (clean install)".

From there, you'll need to get into the Advanced Options where you'll find "I want to choose the installation partition during setup".

That should be it, but before you do anything, I should tell you that Windows 98 (if on a FAT32 filing system), then you wont be able to access your Windows 2000 (NTFS) file system, (unless, of course, they are both FAT32).

Once 2000 is installed, your boot.ini file will be configured to suit.

What you want to do isn't recommended (personally), as Windows 2000 will support games, can run in compatibility mode (for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME. etc).

Although, as I've said, I have never tried to install 98 and dual-boot with 2000, AFTER installing 2000 on it's own. (I have clean installed 2000 whilst on 98 however, to another partition).

Hope it goes well.
Good luck :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
yeah i remember trying to install XP then win98

it screwed my boot.ini and i didn't know how to fix it :/

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
You generally install an older than a newer OS, so i'd say, format, install 98, then install 2k again in that order.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
You will run into problems if you already have Windows 2000 installed and want to install Windows 98. It would have been much easier to first install Windows 98, and then Windows 2000. The reason is that even if you install Windows 98 to a different partition/disk, it will muck around with some system files on your Windows 2000 partition and your MBR (master boot record). This means that you will no longer be able to boot into Windows 2000 after installing Windows 98. Windows 2000 setup is more "intelligent" than Windows 98 setup in terms of formally recognising other OS's at installation time.

The easiest way to dual boot your existing Windows 2000 with a new installation of Windows 98 (without having to reformat & partition, and losing you current Windows 2000 installation) is to add a second hard drive to your computer (just a humble old 1 Gb drive or less will do if you can find one 2nd hand), and then put it into your computer (configure it as slave, and put it into the same IDE port as you Windows 2000 drive). Then disable the hard drive which contains your Windows 2000 installation, in BIOS (or physically disconnect it from its IDE port if your BIOS keeps annoyingly re-detecting it).

Now there will only be one hard drive your computer will see, the one that you have added. Partition & format this hard drive with a Windows 98 bootdisk, and then install Windows 98. After you've completely finished installing Win98, reboot into your BIOS and re-enable your other hard disk (which contains Windows 2000). Now your computer should boot into Windows 2000 as before, just as if Windows 98 never existed (even though Win98 installed on your second hard drive).

Now install a 3rd party boot manager such as XOSL (it's freeware & really good), so now you can choose to boot between Windows 2000 and Windows 98 whenever your computer starts up. :)

www.xosl.org

Jesus

Christ
HSC
N/A
yea i got 2 partitions, ntfs(C) for 2000 and a fat32(E) for storage so im planning to put 98 in the fat32 one....hmm seems there are alot of problems, u guys think i should do it? i really cant format right now ive got important stuffs on 2k

i mean it stores the whole 98 on my E drive right? what would it overwrite on my C? whats the worst that could happen if i run into probs

ill try that xosl in a moment

Soliah

Question: Why do you wish to dual boot the OSes?

It wouldn't overwrite anything in your C: drive, but like wogboy said Windows 98 will overwrite your MBR. I like wogboy's method of dual booting without having to format, though personally I'd format and install 98 then 2K.

Note: Windows 98 will not be able to see NTFS drives. (Unless someone has added the support for NTFS in Win98 in the past few years ;) ).

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
partition magic 8 is great for this scenario~

Soliah

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
partition magic 8 is great for this scenario~
I've heard alot of bad things about PM's boot loader software. Their partition management aspect of their software is fine though. I dislike proprietary, third party boot loaders anyway :)

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Soliah
I've heard alot of bad things about PM's boot loader software. Their partition management aspect of their software is fine though. I dislike proprietary, third party boot loaders anyway :)
I can agree with that, I have had more problems than solutions using PM's sw.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I've heard alot of bad things about PM's boot loader software. Their partition management aspect of their software is fine though.
That's true, BootMagic (which is the boot manager that comes with Partition Magic) is crap compared to Xosl, I could never get it working when I tried to dual boot Linux with Windows. I think it was because BootMagic doesn't support booting from a partition that is more than 1024 cylinders away from the beginning of the disk, so whenever I tried to choose Linux to boot to (which was >1024 cylinders away from the beginning of my hard disk) it would just freeze. Xosl supports booting from >1024 cylinders, provided that your BIOS supports INT13 disk access (which virtually all modern computers do anyway), so it worked on my computer. Best of all Xosl is freeware. :)

Partition Magic itself (the partitoning software) is great though, I've always used it when I needed to create/modify partitions & it worked fine. It's just BootMagic that sucks.

fatmuscle

HSC
u can risk putting Win98 and 2k on the c:, but that's jsut being really stupid (like I did in a rush).

but yeah, the best way is to do as most said, 98 then 2k.

danno

i've got something similar...except i've got a drive with 98SE on, and ive got another thats been formatted, except there seems to be a prob with it when i set it up as a single drive. i tried putting the win98 drive as master and the other as slave and that worked after a bit of fiddling wih BIOS, but if i then install xp on the blank drive, move some stuff onto it form the 98 drive and then just use the xp drive will that work ok?

Soliah

Why not dump everything that you want to keep onto the 2nd drive you have, then format and install XP on the Win98 drive?

I see no benefit in dual booting Win98SE and XP.

snow bum

Banned
I have another question.

I have a 45gb hard drive that came with my computer and a 120gb video scratch drive that I store video and crap on. I want everything to run as efficiently as possible and it has been suggested that I install Windows XP on BOTH hard drives and then only boot to one hard drive at start up. Can I do that? The video editing crap will all be on the 120gb drive so whenever I deal with video i only use the 120gb drive which has no annoying shit on it, and I use the 45bg drive any other time (that is enough space). Is that the best way to approach it? How would I do that?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Installing XP on two different hard disks and booting off them individually, whenever you want?

Seems a bit useless/unnecessary.
Just have the one OS on the one HD (say the 45GB),
have all your stuff on the 120GB, and if you're not using it, it'll go into 'sleep'/power-down mode (if you've configured it in control panel/power settings).

i turn my hard disk(s) off (eg D,E,F, etc, and leave C "on") because that's the main one i really use, unless i need to store things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)