How do i know if med is for me? (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
the truth is, you dont until you are already balls deep. sure you can get work exp, talk to doctors blah blah blah, but all that doesnt even give you 1/100 of what med is actually like.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
so is it worth the effort of trying to transfer to give it a shot?

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I'd give it a shot.

You seem to have some genuine interest in the course in the first place if you're even considering this as a option.

Even if you don't get in you might end up with a good GPA at the end of the year anyway.

But yes I enjoy describing it as your attitude towards the course as unknowing until you are "balls deep."

Truth is, first 2 years are dry as shit with lots of theory. Then again it always makes you look forward to the clinical skills sessions you get to do, or even placements during the year.

But yeah like I said, nothing wrong with giving it a shot.

Study hard, get in, then study harder.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Medicine, compared to careers in Law, Commerce, Engineering etc... is very transparent.

Go to a doctor's surgery or hospital and pay attention to what the doctors do.

The only thing you can't see is
- The hours of studying they did and continue to do
- For senior doctors at hospitals, the hours they spend on the phone telling junior doctors etc. what to do with patients
- For doctors working at practices, the hours of time they spend dictating letters / correcting them after their secretaries/typists write them up

Pro-tips:
- Don't do medicine for the money
- Don't expect to have a lot of time for other things
- Its a great field for people who like to get absorbed in what they do

the truth is, you dont until you are already balls deep. sure you can get work exp, talk to doctors blah blah blah, but all that doesnt even give you 1/100 of what med is actually like.
False. Medicine is focused on treating patients. Patients are people like me and you. There isn't much going on behind the scenes compared to other professions.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Medicine, compared to careers in Law, Commerce, Engineering etc... is very transparent.

Go to a doctor's surgery or hospital and pay attention to what the doctors do.
This illustrates my original point perfectly. People think that one visit to a doctor's practice or hospital and you will know exactly what being a doctor is like. You even touch on some of the things behind the scenes yourself and I can think of at least a dozen other things to add to the list. So no, medicine isnt just all about treating patients.

Pro-tips:
- Don't do medicine for the money
- Don't expect to have a lot of time for other things
Not true. Depends on what field you want to do.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Try some work experience at a GP or get a Cert III or IV and apply for a job as a Medical Receptionist. Look for experiences in medicine. Be mindful that you won't get a full indication but the more experience the better.

Why exactly do you want to do medicine? What concerns you about pursuing medicine enough to ask your question? Have an idea of those things then ask medical students and doctors to give you an answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)