How do i prepare for co-op? (1 Viewer)

carol1991

HSC
Hi

I'm half way through year 12 now...and I really really need help!

I just wanted to know what extra curricular activities I should take up in order to get ready for Co-op scholarship for bachelor of commerce?

I want this scholarship bad! =( I was even thinking of starting Duke of Ed?

So confused...urgh! Any advice anyone could give me, please just shout out, it would really be helpful!
Thanks so much!! xox

Bacchus

HSC
Hi

I just wanted to know what extra curricular activities I should take up in order to get ready for Co-op scholarship for bachelor of commerce?

So confused...urgh! Any advice anyone could give me, please just shout out, it would really be helpful!
Thanks so much!! xox
Academic would be the most important as you need 95+ UAI.

If you are fairly confident about that, come about broadening your extra curricular into different area e.g. sporting, leadership, communication-based activities.

I really want this scholarship too, especially for Actuarial, Marketing and Finance.

I am fairly certain about academic aspect, but I am working in different areas to fill in some "gaps". I am doing school sporting activities such as boxing, athletics -related stuff. And I am also doing a lot of leadership based activities.

So yeah...try to be involved in as much as you can.

EDIT: If you are considering Accounting Co-op, the general consensus is that Cadetship is better and better-paid in general. So have a look into cadetship for example.

Last edited:

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
Hi

Thanks so much!! xox
Wow....you do realise that they can tell whether you've done the stuff for a while or not? Starting everything with HSC in a few months isn't going to help with studying either.

Ok so the idea isn't what you 'need' to take up but what you want to do. If you are just going to do stuff for the resume then there's no point in doing everything as you might seem overly fake and also might not get the require UAI which is about 95 for co-op comm.

From experience, they aren't strict on what you did for extracirricular, but they do care about the extracirricular things that you did which apply to the subject area in which you are applying. (Like I mentioned that I did some database work during high school and they were quite interested in that for my BIT interview). The other important thing is genuine interest for the subject, "I really need the money" is generally not a good thing to say....>_<.

So if you want to 'cram' extracirricular activities now having bludged away most of your high school days, I suggest either do something related to commerce......helping out at the canteen....(yeah vague but hey....) or try to find a job in that area....work experience is well sought after even when you are only going for a scholarship interview.

The idea is: make the person want to give you the scholarship rather than sound like you are really desperate for the scholarship......

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Which Co-op scholarship do you want? E.g Accounting, BIT etc

ykpg

HSC
im lookin for the BIT co op program as well..thing is, is there absolute ANY point in my applying if im prolly only gonna get around low 90s ie 90-92? because on the site it says that it reccommends anyone over 90. but ye, jst wanted to know before i apply and make my decisions in which direction im going towards.

maybe studying COMMERCE majoring in IT is similar at unsw ? anyone know the major differences?

thanks alot

jenecis

HSC
Hi

Thanks so much!! xox
Whoa, chillax mate. Don't worry- getting co-op isn't as hard as UNSW makes it out to be!

Extracurriculars are actually (in my opinion) quite easy - they are just looking for participation in maybe a few areas. I know some Co-op scholars who are not "stand outs" - i.e. they have average grades and participation in basic extracurriculars - e.g. choir and a school sport that doesn't even have try-outs! They have not won any notable awards, e.g. Duke of Ed, SRC, Speech day prizes, Sporting awards etc.

Just as long as you are not completely socially retarded and can hold a good interview, then I'd say anyone has a chance! Just participate in some extra-curriclars - you don't have to show that you excel in it and you should be fine.

Anyway, I also noted that if you have really good grades, and I mean really good, you'll have a high chance of getting in even if you consider your extracurriculars poor.

Finally - relax, not getting a Co-op isn't the end of the world. In fact, do you realise there a certain limitations with getting a Co-op? I.e. not being able to do a double degree (I know 2 friends who have rejected Co-op because they wanted to do Commerce/Law) and being locked down in whatever stream you get into (e.g. Finance, Accounting etc.) Plus, if you're brilliant enough to get 99.90+ , you won't be able to hold both a Co-op and the $10 000/year scholarship.

How would I know? I was offered a Co-op.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
For BIT you actually get a B.Sc, if you want to come out with a B.Comm, you need to get a ISM scholarship. I think you definately should apply, BIT has a very very long list of people to interview and shortlist because it's the biggest co-op group and alot of people change their minds. The key thing for the application is to stand out.

Good Luck!

nessyismad

HSC
hey guys,

i have been offered an interview for BIT and Finance co op program in 2010. At the moment I am doing the army gap year, do u know how they look upon people who have had a gap year?

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)