How do I prepare for Term 1 Yr11 English Adv + Ext? (1 Viewer)

tk8

HSC
Hey guys,

I’m trying to prepare for next year Y11 Advanced and Extension 1 english. For advanced, I’ve been given by my school that ‘Term 1 - Reading to Write’ has the main text being The Great Gatsby (and other texts). How do I prepare for this? Do I read The Great Gatsby and analyse all the themes in the text, or don’t analyse it at all? In ‘Reading to Write’, are all the themes considered, or next year in class will I be given the theme we are working on?

For Term 1 of Extension, we will study short texts which focuses on humanity's pursuit of ideal society through time. Is there any way i can prepare for this?

Thanks!

Suzanne.A

HSC
I recommend that you read the text in the holidays for the first time, without any analysis. Then go back through it, and make annotations about relevant themes, symbols etc. I wouldn't say to necessarily analyse all the themes, but the ones that particularly stand out to you and ones that you can confidently write about - since it's reading to write, make note of Fitzgerald's style as you would also need to make reference to it (and take inspiration) in your creative writing piece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)