How do I study??? (1 Viewer)

gemblack88

HSC
How is everyone else studying for Indochina? (or any of the topics really).. they're all so broad and i have heaps of notes and stuff but reading over them just doesn't seem like enough! Is doing practice essays the best way? any pointers on the best way to study for history would be great!

al_87

HSC
i like practice essays, just don't get bogged down in doing certain types. and i have a q as well: with the syllabus, there is the first part that has 'key features', which im fine with, but what about the concepts, groups, historigoraphy stuff - whats everyone doing for that?

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Try and write down a small summary for each syllabus dot point.
I started that. I think my notes will be 100+ long. Impractical. They're supposed to be study notes - not a thesis, dammit!

I'm doing Arab-Israeli, so if anyone else is, I'd be happy to grab some advice!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I'm pretty screwed, if I shove all my history stuff in a pile it's half as tall as I am, and I've gone through most of it and I still feel like I know nothing. gah, pointers, someone!

.ben

HSC
is arab-israeli crap? i heard we're doing it next term and im scared. i really hated creation of israel in the prelim course. :(

Meli_the_Pink

Pretty in Pink
HSC
al_87 said:
i like practice essays, just don't get bogged down in doing certain types. and i have a q as well: with the syllabus, there is the first part that has 'key features', which im fine with, but what about the concepts, groups, historigoraphy stuff - whats everyone doing for that?
Just include the concepts, groups, historiography etc in your notes on the key features. After all they are all 'to be studied in relation to the key features'

wazza888

I found that doing past HSC papers can be really useful :D But then again just go over your notes and take in stuff as you go. Also remember to practise your essay structures.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
hmm, i reckon writing and doin practice essays is the best way to study for any essay writing subject (esp history and english). but one major trap in history is studyin to much, which results in u runnin out of time when u try to apply it to an exam because you dont know exactly what points to put down. but nevertheless the best of luck, i have one yr left ><''

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
.ben said:
is arab-israeli crap? i heard we're doing it next term and im scared. i really hated creation of israel in the prelim course. :(
my teacher told me that onli a few skools in the STATE do that topic.

nwatts

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
my teacher told me that onli a few skools in the STATE do that topic.
I do it. It's not hard. And it's reasonably popular. Don't stress.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ESSAY PLANS PEOPLE!!

Serously, it might take a few hours but it's reallllllllly useful! Write essay plans based on past q's and q's you make up that resemble past q's structure. Cover every topic. It's an extremely effective use of your study time this late into the game. Clears things in your head. Helps you comprehend ideas and concepts and linkages. Also briefly runs through basic revision in your head.

When you're done. Sit back and revise over notes knowing that you are set for almost any q on any topic.

Edit: good essay plans run from 1-2.5 pages. I dont mean write on every line. I mean, big colourful heading then the Q in red pen but some astrisks with point and perhaps dashes and arrows for asterisk pts that need abit of elaboration. No full sentences. just the GIST. SPACE it out and include a date or number/figure/data stat if you really think it's relevant and you think you might forget it. That's a basic idea. Adapt to suit your topic/style :D

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Learn tactics/strategies for US/VC you can relate it to a lot of questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)