How do people go about learning there English Essays. (1 Viewer)

rei-10

HSC
i memorise an essay, and then learn a bit more additional content (a few more quotes/techniques, themes)
so that i can add/remove parts in the exam to suit the question if i need to.

lychnobity

HSC
I have just figured out how I do it:

I memorise the general structure and how to use the quotes, instead of a word-for-word generic essay, and maybe some ways of expressing things.

Other than that, it's 'instinct' for me. That's not right either, I think I sort of use what I know to make it up as I go along...

Wait, is that what everyone else does?

HSC
this is perfect! i literally thought about this today too:p

well what i've been doing is...i make my 'generic' essay, then break it down in to parts...

so for belonging, i have my 2 skrzynecki poems and my 2 related texts
so 4 a4 sheets of notes
then ill break them down into smaller sections

then ill read those sections and try to write out that relevant paragraph without looking, in my own words to a specific practice question:D
Nakuuuuuuuul posting on BOS. go study fatty

blue_butterfly

HSC
Don't memorise your essay! When your focusing word for word your not actually really thinking about the "ideas" your writing about and you wont be able to shape it to the question. And shaping it to the question is so important!

Best to rememeber main ideas, techniques, key point (make your notes in bullet point form) and quotes to go with them (you will obviously need to memorise these). To have an "understanding" is much more important than word for word, because then you actually really know what you are talking about and that will score you far better marks.

THEN look through past questions and see how you "ideas" can answer these questions. Perhaps write up a scaffold of how you would go about answering it- what quotes/techniques you would use ect.

good luck! :drink:

Allisonius

HSC
Don't memorise your essay! When your focusing word for word your not actually really thinking about the "ideas" your writing about and you wont be able to shape it to the question. And shaping it to the question is so important!

Best to rememeber main ideas, techniques, key point (make your notes in bullet point form) and quotes to go with them (you will obviously need to memorise these). To have an "understanding" is much more important than word for word, because then you actually really know what you are talking about and that will score you far better marks.

THEN look through past questions and see how you "ideas" can answer these questions. Perhaps write up a scaffold of how you would go about answering it- what quotes/techniques you would use ect.

good luck! :drink:
Took the words right out of my mouth.
An essential part of getting a good mark in the English HSC exams is interpretting the question and ANSWERING it.
If you don't answer the question the way it asks you too you are unlikely to get anything over 12.

jet

Banned
HSC
Problem is there is no past questions :(
The modules haven't changed, only the 'theme' of the elective. The questions are still slightly accurate.
I know people are saying that you don't need others' interpretations for the critical study, though the syllabus actually states that you use these to inform your opinion. Thus, using them in the essay demonstrates how they inform your opinion, especially if you evaluate them.
History and memory hasn't changed at all.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I know people are saying that you don't need others' interpretations for the critical study, though the syllabus actually states that you use these to inform your opinion. Thus, using them in the essay demonstrates how they inform your opinion, especially if you evaluate them.
Fucking oath, I don't know what to do now.

jet

Banned
HSC
English Syllabus Page 52:

Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.
English Prescriptions '09-'12 Page 20

They refine their own understanding and interpretations of the prescribed text and critically consider these in the light of the perspectives of others.

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
In ext english we have to give other peoples studies of the texts.
In advanced and standard- do not. except in conflicting perspectives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)