• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how do u attack the geo paper? (1 Viewer)

jerseyanna

hey i was jus curious 2 know which is the best way 2 attempt the paper whether it be multiple choice or the extended responses first what do u guys think?> im no good at time management so yeh i need some help!

thanx.............:confused:

Wahlito

Unlike most exams, i just seem to do this one in order.

Except dont go over your time limit in the multiple choise and short answers. I like to leave at least 2 hours for the essays.

Dammit

The idea is to do geog in order,

You do multiple choice and short answers before extended response, so you can familiarise yourself with the Stimulus Booklet so when u get to your extended response you know exactly what you want to refer to from t he stimulus and dont have to waste time searching for it.

Wahlito

Is it advised to refer to the stimulus booklet for the extended responses if it isnt explicitly specified in the question?

I usually dont, as i find i know my case study material much better and can write about it alot easier.

How do you go about including stimulus booklet in your extended responses?

Dammit

Wahlito: you will see in the ruberic of the extended response questions:

Refer to appropriate case studies, illustrative examples and the Stimulus Booklet where appropriate.

so if you can find something in the stimulus that backs up the point your making in your essay use it and youll get extra marks.

jerseyanna

dammit: so u are saying definately 2 put in examples from the stimulus booket aye? sure that it will get xtra marks i didnt know that thanx ill remember 2 put them in ....... ne other tips?

Wahlito

Yeah our teacher never once even mentioned this at all to us. I might call the advice line and ask them later tonight and post a reply of what they say.

Dammit

only put in stimulus material if it is relevant to the point you are getting across.

Wahlito

Nah, we do the Feedlots from the textbook "Global Interactions", and anyway most of my notes are handwritten because i get too distracted using the computer... (like now lol)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I reckon there ain't enough time to do everything...If u allow 1 hour and 50 mins for the essays its only about 37 mins per essay...and u gotta race through the multiple choice section which means running the risk of silly mistakes...which I usually do. :(

malkin86

HSC
I don't know.. I tend to do my exams in order, cause then I've got an idea of what stuff is in the stim booklet to put in essays (if I can!)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
its usually possible to gain up to 10 minutes after doing the multichoice and short answers. i dont think it will take 1hr to do these parts.

interesting fact: a teacher from my school wrote the geography paper for this year

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
lukebennett said:
its usually possible to gain up to 10 minutes after doing the multichoice and short answers. i dont think it will take 1hr to do these parts.

interesting fact: a teacher from my school wrote the geography paper for this year
that's interesting...evidently the teacher doesn't teach yr 12....
but in the playground...any helpful tips fall out of their pocket? lol

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
leginag said:
that's interesting...evidently the teacher doesn't teach yr 12....
but in the playground...any helpful tips fall out of their pocket? lol
no real hints or anything as she is bound by law, but she says that it is quite doable. And no she teachea a yr11 class and yr10 as well i think. she would write fairly sensible clear questions i think.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
I just wanted to remind all you '04ers to try and include diagrams in your essays (it gets easy marks), attempt to make reference to the stimulus booklet in your essays (so yes it would be a good idea to anser the skills section first) and remember as many facts (ie population numbers, area sizes, $ figures, % figures) as possible.

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)