How do u become a babysitter? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm interested in becoming a babysitter for infants as a part-time job. Just wondering, besides the obvious requirements like loving kids and stuff, is there anything else I would have to do to become an infant babysitter? Like babysitting course????

Who has done it and how much do you get paid?

Lol, thanks

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
uberlovesounds said:
I'm interested in becoming a babysitter for infants as a part-time job. Just wondering, besides the obvious requirements like loving kids and stuff, is there anything else I would have to do to become an infant babysitter? Like babysitting course????

Who has done it and how much do you get paid?

Lol, thanks

Ive done babysitting. You don't really need to do a course, although there are courses you could do. I would reccomend doing a first aid course though.

CieL

HSC
I once applied for babysitting...... more like looking after little children in daycare kinda thing......

They kept asking me if I'm doing a degree in education, or if I've done a first aid course, etc..

Of course not.. I just want the extra dosh =.=

Not to mention I didnt get hired..

But if you were just to babysit, it'd be easier to just look at ads in the paper or on the internet for private people.. their requirements shouldnt be that high.. I've seen online ads before, and the pay usually ranges from $16-20/hr.. sometimes more depending on age and experience and what is required.. eg. driving the kids to school etc..

Oh yer.. for some reason, alot of people like babysitters who have their own vehicle.. hope you got a drivers licence =]

alby

cool duckie
HSC
basic reqirements:
1) love kids
2) previous experience, even just spending a few hours on different occasions with younger children/siblings/cousins/neighbours/etc...so you know how to react to kids, games to play, etc.
3) they like you to have your own (hopefully fairly reliable) transport (own, public, lifts from your folks, etc), as its one less thing that can go wrong..and they dont have to worry about taking you home/picking you up (though i havent had anyone complain that i dont have my licence)

i've done a tonne of babysitting (paid and unpaid) since i was pretty young. started by helping to look after/spending a bit of time playing with younger cousins, and then gradually built it up with neighbours, etc. most of my paid work has been in the last 3-4 years, and the jobs were through word of mouth.

put out flyers over the place - shopping centres, letter box drops (if you know of areas with young kids), give some to rellies/friends/neighbours to hand out, possibly at some local preschools (worth a try), etc. remember to specify what age you prefer to work with.
try to be as flexible as you can...most of my work comes on thurs-sun nights and weekend days, though you can get some more regular work earlier on in the week for working parents (my regular one is 9-5 every tues & thurs). note, regular jobs (ie. set days, every week) will be more likely to ask for a resume..so try to look for casual jobs first and build yourself up

you should try to have a general idea of how much you want to charge (work around 1 kid/hr). i usually work with parents on what they think is reasonable (numbers, ages, hours, time of day, responsibilities, etc)...this' good to get an idea of a reasonable price for you, but if you have a 'base rate' that you can work with its' much easier. personally i'd be aiming at a base of 1 kid, $10-12/hr...any less and you're generally ripping yourself off, too much more and parents wont want to pay it.

when you actually get people calling you for work, ensure you have their details correct (name, address, contact no), time and date confirmed, and try to arrange for a few hours to get to know the kids, the parents, their house, etc (dont ask for payment for this time, but still why refuse it if they offer lol).

good luck. its not the easiest of industries to get your foot in the door, but its great when you know what you're doing
pm me if you want any help..i'm almost a professional babysitter (minus the abn) :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)