• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how do u people stay motivated when studying??? (1 Viewer)

syrena

*Deep breath* Well, how? I sit down look at what I have planned to study, look at it for a little longer, flip the page open and then force myself to read and hopefully remember something...

so do u have any special techiniques to help YOU keep at it? I can study for some subjects, but others like english, physics and chem; AArrggg!!!

I mean, how is it that I physically feel like sinking down in my chair when I think about what I haven't studied yet, or what I should be studying? For those of you who who have no idea what I'm going on about, trust me, you are very very lucky!

And yes, I still have more to say. I'm in year 11 now, so I quess I have a while yet, but aren't I sposed to develop 'good'/'effective' study habits, like, right NOW??? (oh yeah, and I have yearly exams coming so I quess it would be handy to start studying huh?)

I read some of the other threads, they say to do things like using a reward system or what ever, problem is, I'm not realli into spending money and stuff. So anyway, I spose the probelm is that I'm perhaps missing something in this equation, I've got table, pens, books, notes, quiet room, etc. I know what I'm missing, my brain! :D jking

I'm sorry I'm drawing out a probably minute problem to some people, but at the moment for me it is realli realli worrying.

So if you have any tips or any info that you think may be useful, please, please post.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Im in the exact same boat as you. [in yr 11, stressin when i shudnt be, (according to others :p) struggling with studying motivation, inept at studying gay subs like english etc etc]

I found a good way to motivate myself.. dunno if it works for others but it does for me. I just remind myself how shit I am compared to ppl in other schools and that usually sets me straight / shit scared of failure for another hour or so. Then i gotta do it again :p

and also i wrote my dream uai on my bookmarks in huge font so that also screams "you suck!" at me at every glance. Seemed to work this holiday, I managed to do 6 hours / day for 11 days. Pretty satisfied.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
go to the library.

Because there isn't really much in the library that is interesting and can distract you. which means the only thing left to do is study :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
library... that occurred to me
but the time taken to travel to and fro.. also, on school days, that time is significant
plus at home i can take a leak / get coffee / water etc whenever i want. all i gotta do is 'buy' these things with time
like say I wanna get a glass of water... that'll cost me 30 mins. hehehe :)

Last edited:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
^^
I agree with ragerunner, I just started going to the library and that's the only place I can study, it's a bit late, have trials coming up, but it's better than nothing.

I didn't study in yr 11-12 term2, but it's never to late to study.

syrena

I might just try that and that and that. Thanks heaps for answering.

But Giant Lobster, how on earth am I gonna work out my dream uai, if I can't even bring myself to look at what uai gets u in whatever course? *shivers* (Yes, I realli do annoy myself sometimes, actually more like all the time)

that sounds good, 30 mins study for water or watever...

never too late to study, I like that.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i reckon library sucks
im a big book work
so library has too many distractions

Giant Lobster

HSC
Ever since i got that pdf doc of all the courses and their uai cutoffs i was obsessed with the hsc.. get it from the uac, i forgot the url so just search university admissions centre. they got all the cutoffs.

Giant Lobster

HSC
no. sif i can get that.
I just want a 99.5+ to get into aerospace
but that seems unlikely atm... fucking gay sefton shitty school with shitty ppl that r jackshit in terms of competition / bunch of bludgers / if i get 2nd or less in assessment mark ill be a few std devs below, say, average for sgs..
hmm rambling again, sorry :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
grammar sucks :p
how many in sefton get over 99 last year?

pri

HSC
N/A
aim high, and if you have a reasonable goal (for me science/law at usyd :)) then you'll have a motivation, and if you dont achieve the goal their are plenty of options, and if u do, well then good on ya. What motivates me to keep going is that even if at the end of all this I dont want what I originally aimed for, at least Ill have a decent UAI, and know I can do many many other courses.

Stress is an excellent motivator.

pri

HSC
N/A
the pressure of trials has two responses in ppl

flight or fight

some ppl stop studying, and some accelerate

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Goin to the library is actually good if u manage ur time well
like for me, during study vacations, I'd be at the library all day every day
get there at 9am, work till 11, get a bite, work till 1:30, have lunch till 2:30, work till 5, get a bite, work till 9pm
its pretty effective if u can concentrate well, coz u effectively study for 8-10 hours a day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)