how do u rate commerce @ unsw (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
Hey all

Im trying to see whether unsw commerce is as good as they say, in terms of ranking and word of mouth.

For those currently or have done commerce at unsw, what do u think of unsw's commece? is it strong?

Also i heard there are LOTS of internatnoial pupils? in % how many is there in total?

also maybe if possible list some adv or disadv of unsw...
These will greatly help me to decide whether to go usyd or unsw...

thanks

Last edited:

sebastianw

HSC
honestly i would go sydney university, it has a much better atmosphere and is also highly ranked amongst the world rankings for universities (Australia) unlike UNSW. These sort of rankings are important if you are looking for overseas employment in the areas of commerce.

Good luck :jedi:

proringz

HSC
sebastianw said:
honestly i would go sydney university, it has a much better atmosphere and is also highly ranked amongst the world rankings for universities (Australia) unlike UNSW. These sort of rankings are important if you are looking for overseas employment in the areas of commerce.

Don't look at the university ranking as a whole, look at the faculty ranking. UNSW is 2nd highest behind melbourne, ahead of sydney uni. Australian Business School Rankings

From what I've heard, this also applies to engineering.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
sebastianw said:

Honestly, you know fuck-all about university rankings, UNSW and its commerce faculty.

For a start, in terms of world rankings (Rankings of Australian Universities ) we are highly ranked at 45th whereas USYD is 37th (they dropped 6 places from last year). I have no problems admitting that our ranking is lower than USYD being as I just proved it and also one more particular reason...

University rankings take into consideration things like R&D, proportion of international students and other especially irrelevant factors for an uninformed dumbfuck 08er like you when it comes to your own actual employment.

In regards to overseas employment in a commerce field, potential employers will be looking at your own qualifications and relevant work experience as opposed to some near-meaningless rankings when deciding to hire you. Trust me, I know personally being as my father was hired at an international bank on the basis of his UNSW commerce degree and CA qualification than some stupid university rank that most people pay little attention to...

And finally, as for USYD having a better atmosphere. I wouldn't know? I don't go there? But how the fuck would you know anyway being as you don't go there either? So if thats the case, why don't you do yourself a favour and find out for yourself by going there anyway?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
lordesf said:
Hey all

Im trying to see whether unsw commerce is as good as they say, in terms of ranking and word of mouth.

For those currently or have done commerce at unsw, what do u think of unsw's commece? is it strong?

Also i heard there are LOTS of internatnoial pupils? in % how many is there in total?

also maybe if possible list some adv or disadv of unsw...
These will greatly help me to decide whether to go usyd or unsw...

thanks
UNSW commerce is highly regarded both in rankings (read my previous post) and also word of mouth. UNSW is very strong in terms of our course structure and also for the fact that we have a wide variety of majors to choose from (read the online UNSW handbook for more info).

If you are a local, white student, you are already a minority in our faculty. I can tell you now that depending on your major, your tutorials and lectures will be filled with mostly asians and a few token white kids.

However, just keep in mind that you go to university to mainly get a degree. You'll have decent employment opportunities with a com degree from either university so really, its a matter of personal preference. Do a bit more research and make an informed decision and no matter where you end up going, you can't really go wrong.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
tallkid34 said:
If you are a local, white student, you are already a minority in our faculty. I can tell you now that depending on your major, your tutorials and lectures will be filled with mostly asians and a few token white kids.
This is definitely true. I do the cliche` accounting and finance major. Ohwell, I just want the degree. Only one more year left.

lionking1191

HSC
tallkid34 said:
Honestly, you know fuck-all about university rankings, UNSW and its commerce faculty.

For a start, in terms of world rankings (Rankings of Australian Universities ) we are highly ranked at 45th whereas USYD is 37th (they dropped 6 places from last year). I have no problems admitting that our ranking is lower than USYD being as I just proved it and also one more particular reason...

University rankings take into consideration things like R&D, proportion of international students and other especially irrelevant factors for an uninformed dumbfuck 08er like you when it comes to your own actual employment.

In regards to overseas employment in a commerce field, potential employers will be looking at your own qualifications and relevant work experience as opposed to some near-meaningless rankings when deciding to hire you. Trust me, I know personally being as my father was hired at an international bank on the basis of his UNSW commerce degree and CA qualification than some stupid university rank that most people pay little attention to...

And finally, as for USYD having a better atmosphere. I wouldn't know? I don't go there? But how the fuck would you know anyway being as you don't go there either? So if thats the case, why don't you do yourself a favour and find out for yourself by going there anyway?
lol if he cared so much about rankings he should have went and bought a copy of the Good Unis Guide 09... you could count the no. of stars USYD got on a single hand.

wasn't it like last year that UNSW was rated the no.1 business school in australia, after melbourne?

lordesf

HSC
Umm ok some guy told me this:

alexvincent said:
I'd even choose Macquarie over USyd for Comm. Comm @ USyd sucks balls.
Had a face to face with recruiters from the finance industry. They tell me employers rate comm/business degrees as follows:

UNSW/MQ > USyd/UTS > UWS > ....
This is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, can anyone verify if this is correct?
Does usyd commerce really suck tht much in both general and from the persception of the recruiters?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
lordesf said:
Umm ok some guy told me this:

This is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, can anyone verify if this is correct?
Does usyd commerce really suck tht much in both general and from the persception of the recruiters?
A statement like this is really too vague to verify... Employers are too varied in how they hire people so its not like there is an all-encompassing method of rating you in terms of where you did your degree.

USYD commerce doesn't just ultimately suck otherwise what would be the point of doing the degree in the first place? It's just that employers have their own preferences for who they want to hire and as far as I'm aware of, that's mainly work experience.

I'd rather hire someone who had spent more years in a working environment than someone who was just studying somewhat irrelevant theory at university. A degree is a pathway into a career but its your performance during that career that is the deciding factor for being successful.

lordesf

HSC
But umm i got a some answers from a friend's friend who did a transfer from usyd to unsw and gave e advice tht finance at unsw is 10x better becuase they do it in the 1st yr etc whilst usyd = 2nd yr, Is this the same for other majors as well?

Also i was told tht:

"at USYD once its week 2 you cant drop the subejct anymore which sucks if you realise you hate it. in UNSW you can go up to like week 6...... very flexible"

is this true?

Also he told me the old skool theory/practical stuff is mostly the same

Anyway the thing im worried now is tht say "IF" i transfered from usyd to unsw after 1st yr would this mean i start all over again in unsw? or wil they allow u to continue as a 2nd yr student? and is the transfer difficult?

iv heard many successful transfers form usyd to unsw, does this mean it is easier for usyd to uins than usnw to syd?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
the subjects arent the same so depends how many subjects you can get credit for from the uni you are transferring from.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
lordesf said:
But umm i got a some answers from a friend's friend who did a transfer from usyd to unsw and gave e advice tht finance at unsw is 10x better becuase they do it in the 1st yr etc whilst usyd = 2nd yr, Is this the same for other majors as well?

Also i was told tht:

"at USYD once its week 2 you cant drop the subejct anymore which sucks if you realise you hate it. in UNSW you can go up to like week 6...... very flexible"

is this true?

Also he told me the old skool theory/practical stuff is mostly the same

Anyway the thing im worried now is tht say "IF" i transfered from usyd to unsw after 1st yr would this mean i start all over again in unsw? or wil they allow u to continue as a 2nd yr student? and is the transfer difficult?

iv heard many successful transfers form usyd to unsw, does this mean it is easier for usyd to uins than usnw to syd?
At most, you'll be doing only 2 finance courses first year (which will probably be 1612 and 1613) as the majority of students do their core courses in first year.

From what I recall, UNSW is pretty flexible with dropping/switching but just read the online handbook for more info.

And as for starting over again, it depends.... Some of your courses will be transferred over as credit towards a UNSW degree but others may not. If you do transfer, the university will decide how credit would get transferred over from USYD.

Transferring is pretty straight forward so long as you have the necessary UAI/course marks for it.

lordesf

HSC
tallkid34 said:
And as for starting over again, it depends.... Some of your courses will be transferred over as credit towards a UNSW degree but others may not. If you do transfer, the university will decide how credit would get transferred over from USYD.

Transferring is pretty straight forward so long as you have the necessary UAI/course marks for it.
SO say if some credits werent counted, does this mean it will take longer to complete the degree? OR could u like work harder and stil fnish in the 3yr course.

Also my uai is 94.85 which is stil short frm 95.2 (2008 cut off) will they take hsc plus into account?

spence

HSC
lordesf said:
SO say if some credits werent counted, does this mean it will take longer to complete the degree? OR could u like work harder and stil fnish in the 3yr course.

Also my uai is 94.85 which is stil short frm 95.2 (2008 cut off) will they take hsc plus into account?
If credits aren't counted, then you'd either need to spend an extra semester/year at uni, or overload.
And they will take hsc plus into account

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
spence said:
If credits aren't counted, then you'd either need to spend an extra semester/year at uni, or overload.
And they will take hsc plus into account
Pretty much....

Any further questions, call this number if you haven't already

9385 3189 for undegrad enquiries (if this number is wrong btw, email your query at this address ugbusiness@unsw.edu.au)

Dont do it now btw as the office is closed during holidays.

coeyz

HSC
It really comes down to which major you decide to study for your commerce degree..

There is no doubt that Finance major is one of the most regarded in UNSW.

For Actuarial Studies, it doesn't really matter whether you go to MACQ, UNSW or MELB

but I heard that 3-year actuarial degree @ MELB doesn't give you chance to earn all Part I exemption (you will have to do extra year honor to earn that), so it's better to stick with MACQ or UNSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)