How Do U Study For English ?? (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
I recently ( my grade ) recently had a half yearly exam , NO ONE in standard english passes ( execpt 3 or 4 ) on average people got 10 / 60 , i got 17 ( which really sux ).

Im just asking how do you study for it ??? , or how do you increase your marks in english ?? Does reading help ??/

( btw the exam consisted of writing a speech , answering short questions about posters and comparing how effective they are and what message they are trying to achive . Also they have a Question about a book we read )

HELP PLZ

santaslayer

HSC
Analysis of techniques certain texts use should of been taught already if they were to hand out an exam of this sort. You should be constantly referring yourself to these particular techniques to be able to apply it to different texts.

E.g.

Use of:

1) Emotive language
2) Punctuation
3) Onamatopiea
4) Metaphors
5) Oxymorons
6) Colour
7) Shading
8) Caricature
9) Similies
10) POV

These are only some of the many techniques used in different texts. You must remember that different texts require and utilise different types of mechanisms to convey meaning. Not all techniques stated above are applicable to certain texts. It would be up to yourself to dwelve into these certain methods of representing texts.

funky_pineapple

before exams just keep writing practice essays and know them off by heart and put them into the situation the exam is giving. write about the techniques, characters, themes and stuff like that. and know your stimulus booklet!! SERIOUSLY! I am at the top of my class and seriously just know your stuff...that is not true because i did better than some people in advenced. if you believe that you cant pass then you wont and in year 12 you dont have time to keep putting things off i dont want to sound like you mum but you cant keep putting things off because now we only have 14 weeks left of skool how scary!
just keep working at getting the best you can and dont worry about other people and you will feel so much better after the hsc. if you work ur utt off now it will be such a relief when ur finished.

Last edited:

trekkie

HSC
Ive found one the easiest things is to identify four or 5 concepts of the topic, then go through the texts and find examples, quotes etc used to convey the concept, usually bout 4 or 5 for each. Then ID the techniques in each and why the composer is trying to convey the concept. usually the last point i just do in the exams. Practice essays also help alot, try and do as many as you can so that by the time you get to the HSC youve encountered as many alternately formatted questions as possible, hope ive been of help

Merforga

I find that writing an essay every couple of days and then handing that essay in to your teacher to mark is very effective. It lets you hone in onto your weaknesses and improve on them ^^

craz

HSC
I agree. If you write practice essays and get your English teacher to read over them just don't go overboard like I did! and do it all the time they get a bit annoyed! Practice writing under pressure, read key words from essay questions, do past exam papers and revise all your stuff for all the modules thoroughly and know them well and incorporate them into your essays.

Steph9

HSC
If only studying was that simple. The trouble with English is, you can't study for it. How are you supposed to predict what unseen texts they're gonna ask you? It's good to know all the content and all your texts in detail, now apply what you know to the question that you don't even know what they're gonna ask. Once you've seen the question, it's a matter of knowing how to approach it to actually get the marks. The markers don't want you to just tell a story, they actually want you to answer the question. You need to know exactly what the question is asking, and answer it according to how they want you to answer it. So for English, how can you study for something you can't see. To put it simply, how do you study for say a listening task or any other tasks where they just give you the text and the question at the last minute?

Auto Wah

first you write a shit piece of Essay or whatever which you know will be in the exam. Then you get your teacher or tuitor to mark it for you (evolve it for you).
then you simply recite it in the exam. ALSO WORKS FOR HSC.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Our school also had an huge array in marks for english. The standard exam was out of 60, the highest mark from standard being 30 (i.e. one person passed), and 7 people from advanced passed and our exam was out of 50. What I don't understand about year 11 is that the teachers seem to come down so hard on you when you have relatively no skills to tackle these exams. I got 36/50 which gives me a 72%, however last year I rigged up half yearly 95% and yearly 96% for English. The sad part is these results are consistent around all my subjects, I can't see to get anything more than a 75% which is really weird because I put in the time to study and still seem to be getting considerably low marks for the time I put in. Does it all come down to exam technique? And if so, where can I learn this before the yearly exams, I really don't want a relapse of my half yearly results... :(

craz

HSC
Exam technique is definitely an advantage. Yes English is not easy to study for - the main thing you can do is know your material and past exam papers. For unseen texts try to guess what you think it will and attempt to make up questions and answers for them.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
it's like math, practice practice practice

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I start off by praying to my tantric god Sunja, he gives me enlightenment for the exam at hand.

Then I wank for about 2 hours before the exam, this clears my mind.

Last I write a list of fancy words, such as "enjambment" and put them in there even tho I do not know the meaning.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Another thing to remember is for related texts, analyse them as if they were ur main material and to have plenty for each material ... u may find in the exam that some related texts are no suitable towards the question.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Write as much as you can, but just remember its quality not just quantity,
know your texts well, make sure you know quotes, techniques.
Practise writing essays and get your teacher to mark them and give you feedback.

BFEPNS

but honestly ppl how the fuk do u get into the mood for studing??? i mean these holidays i kept saying i was goin to study but all i did was play gunbound (p.s. VS me ppl...GB name = Bfeboi) and my FKN TRIAL ARE AUGUST 2nd.... FARK ...HELP... i'vs faild all my subjects in the half yearly:( except for 2unit maths and i pretty much fukd up my HSC....:mad: FUK :mad:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Don't worry, for my standard english trial exam last yr i only got 34%. Which i was dissapointed about. But for my hsc i got 69. So don't worry, there is plently of time between ur trials and the hsc.

Learn from what u did wrong in ur trials.

=JZ=

BFEPNS said:
but honestly ppl how the fuk do u get into the mood for studing??? i mean these holidays i kept saying i was goin to study but all i did was play gunbound (p.s. VS me ppl...GB name = Bfeboi) and my FKN TRIAL ARE AUGUST 2nd.... FARK ...HELP... i'vs faild all my subjects in the half yearly:( except for 2unit maths and i pretty much fukd up my HSC....:mad: FUK :mad:
i see ur problem is lack of self-control... like me. Used to play GB too, then i quit cuz i thought it would disturb my studies. Even if u think u'll just play a little bit, u'll still waste time afterwards thinking about the game. U won't be able to concentrate, since ur too excited. if u can't control ur self, then u should seek help from ur parents or someone. Me, i give my power cord to my parents. Also if u used ur computer and u usually go overtime, then u should set alarms to alert urself it's time to shut down. Gradually, u'll have better self-control. Remember it's easy to do, and it's easy not to do.

Also u are probably discouraged by ur large loan of work. U should convert something as generic and frightening as "i will study for English" to something more specific and less intimidating as e.g. "i will read 1 chapter of the novel". Then it's just a matter of setting out the tasks with breaks in between. A timetable!

B l e h.

HSC
=JZ= said:
i see ur problem is lack of self-control... like me. Used to play GB too, then i quit cuz i thought it would disturb my studies. Even if u think u'll just play a little bit, u'll still waste time afterwards thinking about the game. U won't be able to concentrate, since ur too excited. if u can't control ur self, then u should seek help from ur parents or someone. Me, i give my power cord to my parents. Also if u used ur computer and u usually go overtime, then u should set alarms to alert urself it's time to shut down. Gradually, u'll have better self-control. Remember it's easy to do, and it's easy not to do.

Also u are probably discouraged by ur large loan of work. U should convert something as generic and frightening as "i will study for English" to something more specific and less intimidating as e.g. "i will read 1 chapter of the novel". Then it's just a matter of setting out the tasks with breaks in between. A timetable!
Helpful words JZ, thanks

BFEPNS

ic ic

i know i have to control myself but its soo hard wen my GB character is soo underdeveloped....fuk....thanks newayz

=JZ=

your welcome, Bleh.

BFEPNS, are your all friends playin GB? that can contribute to the difficulty of quitting. I quit when my char was stone axe. MMORPG are addictive i know, it's even more addictive when your friends are playing with you. But really, with all games... what do you get in the end? nothing really. What's the point wasting your time leveling up when in the end it's just a waste of time... Think about what's more important. Succeeding in your HSC so you'll a live a better life, or succeeding in your game so people admire your stats . But when the game goes out of popularity nobody cares how high you leveled up. Why mess up your life for a moment's pleasure? Think again, my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)