How do u STUDY? (2 Viewers)

bobos2

HSC
How do u guys STUDY?

Hey..this may seem a lil weird...but i was curious...how do u guys study? Do u make notes from the notes u made in class ? or practise past papers or what?
LOL, reply reply! i wana c that im not the only one making cute lil weird flashcards for italian =.=;;

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
You can study how ever you want!!

Here are some examples:
> type your notes up
> hand write them again
> put them in a different form (e.g. into a table, question/answer format, pictures (if possible))
> post-it notes on the walls around your room (it usually works for memorising :))
> verbal discussions with family members
> rereading
> highlighting worksheets (don't go overboard)
> writing notes around the worksheets (e.g. important points, meanings of words etc)
> Acronyms and acrostics (where letters stand for words - for example in PDHPE this year we learnt an acronym DRHSC as in Doctor (DR) Higher School Certificate (HSC))

D = Developing Personal Skills
R = Reorinenting Health Services
H = Building a Healthy Public Policy
S = Strengthening Community Action
C = Creating Supportive Enviroments

Acronyms works great cause you tend to remember them :)
> past-papers are one of the best things you can do
> writing down a fairly detailed account of what you did in a subject at school WITHOUT looking at your books (all from memory)
> dotpoints
> summarising summaries (getting your notes to the bare minimum)

Study is to make sure you know your work and know how to APPLY your knowledge to questions (past-papers very important here).

Whatever works for you! Experiment...

summerlxve

HSC
N/A
wells, i find that i get distracted alot. so i have a peculiar wau of studying. i tend to snick notes everywhere & i mean like in the mirror & everywhere.

& i use high-lighters to keep my eye on my notes.

& i find brainstorms helpgul as well.

try to avoid procrastinating-the act of saying "I'll do it later" & end up cramming.

HSC
Re: How do u guys STUDY?

bobos2 said:
i wana c that im not the only one making cute lil weird flashcards for italian =.=;;
i dont do any languages, but my friend (top of our school in Japanese) has literally hundreds of flashcards for Japanese. So I presume that its a really good idea.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Wow. bored_of_sc your way of studying seems really good!!!! you must be able to memorise heaps.

For me, I just write my notes weaks earlier.

English: I read glossary of jargon terms which I get from the teacher
Maths: practice questions done in class
Science: write notes, read them, and make my own questions and try to do them
History: write notes. read them. memorise them. re write all my notes without looking
Geography: Write notes. read them. never tried to memorise them before
Music: nothing. just basically last minute skim through book. NOTE: a very bad way to study.
PE: nothing. Just look through book. PE is just bullshit. You can pass it by writing crap

The best way to study would be probably to write notes, rewrite them without looking. You get it all memorised. If you are doing last minutes effort, then practice from past papers and cram like fuck along the way

autumn-angel

HSC
I record pages of my notes on a voice recorder and listen to them all night. Once I done this on the last night and scored 98% in my commerce topic test. I done this again for my yearlies and scored 95%. And i studied for all of it on the last night.
I basically cram all the time.
I also use Look, cover, write, check method but i realised in this you can not exactly grasp a thorough understading, you only remember text.

However, I do not know how to use past papers (past SC papers) to revise for exams or SC.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Open Microsoft Word (Vista)
Load my notes template
Make a title page
Make a contets page
Page break
Write out syllabus dot points
Answer Syllabus dot points - references to text book, study guides, workbooks and the internets
Search Wikipedia for diagrams for my dot points, have a look at their information
-
Now that I have a strong set of notes.

Open word
Insert Smart Art > Hierarchy
Type Sub-topic in the middle (e.g. Electrochemistry)
Categorise the sup-topic into key points (e.g. Lead-acid battery)
Keep going..

Visually I'll be able to see which parts I need to work on
-
Complete study guide problems, list key problems (e.g. calculating the % comp of iron in a redox reaction)
-
Start working on TEE papers
-
Fail TEE & TAFE

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I type up review questions with answers and memorise them and understand them. Then I do practise papers and revision sheets.

bobos2

HSC
Studentleader said:
Open Microsoft Word (Vista)

Visually I'll be able to see which parts I need to work on
-
Complete study guide problems, list key problems (e.g. calculating the % comp of iron in a redox reaction)
-
Start working on TEE papers
-
Fail TEE & TAFE
Whats TEE?

selablad

HSC
Studentleader said:
TEE=HSC
TER=UAI

Perth Repping
Qld's turn, just because I feel like it :rolleyes:

QCE=HSC
OP=/=UAI (but *roughly* equivalent)

OPs are about the only part of the Qld system which is inferior to NSW's.

And back on topic: I study by discussing and arguing everything I learn with anyone who'll listen, and by teaching other people, like my parents, who need everything explained to them in simple terms from the very beginning. This ensures that you have a very firm grasp on the topic yourself

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
hey, you know for maths, how can you study for it? is it better to study with one textbook or four (as I do) ?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
hey, you know for maths, how can you study for it? is it better to study with one textbook or four (as I do) ?
Read this (if you wish to):

HSC is drawing near! I am pretty sure there will be people out there not knowing what to do, not sure about how to prepare for the 2 Unit Mathematics exam or how to maximise their marks in exam. READ THIS!

This is simly written but I am sure it will prove useful for some people. Knowing and not knowing about something makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. Read it, learn it and know it. And you will succeed!

PRIOR TO EXAMS
1. Know when you have exams (Includes 1 week before HSC)
The date hasn't come out yet. But it is always good to know when you have exam. Following link is very brief one and does not tell us when the Mathematics exam is.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/events/pdf_doc/event-timetable-hsc-2008.pdf
But you have to be aware that HSC starts on Thursday 16 October. And if we assume that Mathematics is on 16 October (which is very very unlikely) you can set your timetable like this:

12 October: Finish HSC Mathematics 2005 (check solution)
13 October: Finish HSC Mathematics 2006 (same here)
14 October: Finish HSC Mathematics 2007 (same here)
15 October: Be prepared (get all the stuff needed and just relax and make sure you know all the relevant formula and every other bits and pieces).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: It is important that you take past HSC Mathematics exams in EXAM CONDITION for 3 hours. AND if you get some questions wrong/make mistake, you can always improve. Do at least 20 Past papers before exam starting from 1987 ones. Also note that on 11 October or prior to that, you can study for subject that comes after Mathematics (DO PAST PAPERS). Following link only has few exam papers. You better buy past papers that comes with SOLUTIONS!
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/exam-papers-2007/index4.html#m.

2. Year before HSC:
  1. Do your homework! Homework is important particularly in Mathematics.
  2. Do extra homework. Regard homework as 'minimum work'. There is just NO FINISH in Mathematics.
  3. Get good textbooks/study guides such as EXCEL, FITZPATRICK, CAMBRIDGE (NOT REALLY BUT PRETTY GOOD) AND COUCHMAN.
  4. PUT 1 hour a day (recommended)
3. 6 months before HSC:
  1. Do your homework as always. But build on that homework. Advance further than everyone else! (i.e. do more work)
  2. Put more than 1 hour a day. 1-1.5 hour is recommended.
  3. Start some easy past papers starting from as old as you can get your hands on. I started with 1986 one where I got 96% in 1 hour 50 minutes. Do them in exam condition! IF YOU CAN'T DO SOME QUESTIONS BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T LEARNT IT, THEN LEAVE THEM AND DO THE QUESTIONS YOU CAN DO.
  4. You have to realise that old past papers are much easier than recent ones so you may want to set the exam time frame to 2 hours to 2 hours and 30 minutes.
4. 3 months before HSC:
  1. You should know alll the formulas and relevant information by now. Get a good person to explain it to you or you can basically put time for yourself to understand since 2 Unit Mathematics is not that difficult.
  2. You really have to put 1 hour 30 minutes a day. That will basically cover some exercises and some challenging questions.
  3. Do more past papers and learn from it. There is nothing better than doing the REAL ONES.
5. 1 month before HSC:
  1. Know your formulas. You have to be able to KNOW WHERE YOU USE YOUR FORMULAS AND WHEN YOU USE THEM. DON'T BE CONFUSED WITH VELOCITY, ACCELERATION AND DISPLACEMENT.
  2. Keep doing your past papers. Can't stress this enough. Learn from it and set your own goals for each exam. ALSO try to do it under the time given to you in real HSC.
DURING EXAM
6. ATTEMPT ALL QUESTIONS!
I cannot stress this enough. ATTEMPT ALL QUESTIONS! If you get stuck with one question, leave it for the time being and move on to another question. You may have better luck in other questions.

7. Be aware of the marks allocated to each question!
Marks allocated to each question reflects how difficult it is and how much you have to write. You don't have to spend 30 lines explaining 2 marks-value question.

8. Use Board-approved calculators (you have to anyway).
Get board-approvaed calculators. Following link shows the name of board-approvaed calculators. Make sure you read it if you don't have one.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/calculators_hsc.html

9. You are encouraged to write formulas down.
Write your formulas down when you are doing complicated ones that involve many numbers. It will be of large benefits.

10. Make sure your writings are neat, tidy and readable.
Write neatly and make sure your writings are READABLE. Be clear in your answer (e.g. 0.7 rather than .7)

11. Show all necessary workings.
Some people don't do this. EVEN THE EXAM SAYS THAT YOU NEED TO SHOW ALL WORKINGS. Therefore, do all your workings especially for PLANE GEOMETRY AND CIRCLE GEOMETRY. Even if you write stuff on diagrams write them down in your working out. You are advised to do that. You are also encouraged write stuff such as "thefore", "so", "i.e." and etc to allow markers to follow you!

12. Be specific when you give geometric proofs.
Don't just say "the angles in an isoceles triangle add to 180 degrees"
You have to be specific. For example, "x =70 degrees, the base angles of an isoceles triangle are equal".

13. If a theorem has a 'RECOGNISED NAME', it is sufficient to quote the name.
i.e. "Ratio of Intercepts theorem" or "Pythagoras's theorem"

14. Give enough space for each question.
HAVE lots of space. It is always good to have lots of space to prevent UGLINESS AT THE END.

15. In Q1, when you get substitution question, you must show the step of substitution immediately before use of calculator.

16. In Q1, when you get calculator-based question, you have to write everything on your calculator before rounding off.

17. Drawing diagrams & sketches even if they were given in the question is a good idea. Spend around half a page drawing it.
You are highly encouraged to draw your diagram. They are also useful aids in solving problems. When drawing it, PLEASE USE RULER AND NECESSARY ITEMS.

18. Write your answer in an appropriate place so markers can see it. Don't expect them to find it.
Write them in an appropriate place and make sure markers can find it.

19. Read over your exam and don't waste your time.
You just spend 10 years at school to get to here. Don't waste one moment of it. Read over your exam and fix all the writings if yourself can't read it. Be clear, specific, neat and right.
20. Be aware of the term 'hence'.
When you see the term 'hence' in your question, the question is asking you to solve the question from the answer you found in the earlier question. Make sure you are familiar with these terms.
21. Know HSC Terms:
'state' or 'write down' or 'give example of': no explanation required - just write your answer
'find' or 'determine': provide reasoning, explnation
'verify': should test the truth oof a statement, usually by substitution
'hence': student should use the preceding result or information to answer the question
'prove' or 'show': establish in detail the truth of a statement. Full reasoning is needed and NEVER try to prove something by assuming at the start
'solve': work out the anwer or solution to a problem. Write them in appropriate forms (e.g. in decimal, pi or fraction form)

GOOD LUCK In your HSC Mathematics exam and know you stuff!
NEVER PANIC!

PM ME IF YOU NEED HELP
EDIT: Bring lots of good pens (black or blue & red and 2 for each colour would be good). Bring 2 calculators just in case (no need to, but I carry 3 calculators just in case).
Namu's word of advice: Mathematics is important and this particular subject is getting increasingly important in many university courses. It is good idea to perform well in this particular subject as the paths you wish to take in future may be related to maths. University courses like Medicine, Actuarial, Advanced Mathematics, Advanced Science, Engineering and so many other courses pick Mathematics as an assumed knowledge or recommended studies.
FAQ:
What is ideal amount of studying for Mathematics?
In my point of view, studying 1 hour everyday is a good idea (if you are only doing Mathematics). However, one should increase his/her amount of studying as HSC approaches. Mathematics is highly skill-based and the contents you learn from Mathematics are not easily forgotten. This means that you get the most learning out of subjects like Mathematics & English.
How do you study?
There are three steps involved. First one is to understand & memorise the formula. If you don't understand formula or cannot easily memorise it, ask for help. That's why teachers exist. Second step is to do questions in a large variety. Questions must be in large variety and vary in difficulties. Third step is to do the past papers. As many people mentioned, this is the best study method one can use to excel in his/her subject.
What about General Mathematics?
It's entirely up to you when it comes to subject selection. Doing General Mathematics has its own advantages and disadvantages. However, I have heard from people that changing General Mathematics because it is 'easy' is a common mistake by many. That is because General Mathematics has its foundation in Prelimimnary. As people skipped the Preliminary, they struggle in General Mathematics. If you perform well in Preliminary (I would say over 60%to 70% or more than average, I suggest you not moving down to General Mathematics). However, it is entirely up to you.
I am going to do Extension 2. Any advice?
If you are going to do Extension 2, unfortunately (or fortunately), 2 Unit Mathematics will not count towards your UAI. That means that your 3 Unit becomes 2 units and the 4 Unit maths becomes 2 units. However, you will still be studying 2 Unit Mathmatics as it a foundation of more difficult maths. If you do Extension 2, you should be putting more than 1 hour a day (I recommend 2 hours). By the way, I am doing Extension 2 at the moment as I am only year 11. So, I will post up specific thread for 4 Unit Mathematics once I start & once I get to know more about Extension 2.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Wow, excellent guide Namu (read it all :uhhuh:)
Thanks. It was quite easy to make that because I had all the notes from HSC markers who listed all the common mistakes by HSC students. They gave me very invaluable knowledge & advices.

I also got few advices from me121 and glitterfly (not sure about spelling) to revise that one further. All in all, it probably took 30 minutes to 1 hour to write that thing.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
13. If a theorem has a 'RECOGNISED NAME', it is sufficient to quote the name.
i.e. "Ratio of Intercepts theorem" or "Pythagoras's theorem"
I don't think thats correct because I wrote "Ratio of Intercepts Theorem" as a reason for my proof, and I lost marks because of it. :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I don't think thats correct because I wrote "Ratio of Intercepts Theorem" as a reason for my proof, and I lost marks because of it. :(
Well, only few theorems have recognised name. According to the exam marker's comments of 1987 HSC, you should not create your own name of theorem.

EDIT: Wait, what??? You should have got it right!!! You should have appealed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)