How do we determine our aligned marks? (1 Viewer)

Fady

does rank and assesment task really matter

i was jst enquiring to anyone who reallly understands the system. If my rank was last in particular subjects, but all students were ver close, and we all have reletivly good marks, what happens to the last place student???? Also if i was to be achieving 30% in for eg maths, and i get in the 80's in the HSC, what would happen to my marks?????

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Fady said:
i was jst enquiring to anyone who reallly understands the system. If my rank was last in particular subjects, but all students were ver close, and we all have reletivly good marks, what happens to the last place student???? Also if i was to be achieving 30% in for eg maths, and i get in the 80's in the HSC, what would happen to my marks?????
The last placed student will get the lowest HSC Exam mark as their School assessment mark.

I don't understand your 2nd question...
your getting 30% in you school exams? And then you want to know what happens if you get 80% in the HSC exam?
Well all I can say if who know what will happen.... But you will have to work mighty hard to improve your marks. I guess you'll have a better idea after your trials.

A l

HSC
N/A
Fady said:
Assessment tasks DO matter. However, the moderating process relies on ranks in both the external and internal assessments to alter marks. Your rank in the external exam within the school may be different to your rank in the school assessment tasks. If that is the case, then things start to get complicated.
Remember that chances are, that the moderating process would alter the original marks that the school submits.
peeasoup said:
So your HSC mark always gets scaled down. Like, if all my assesment averages are 60's, and i get 80's and 90's in my hsc, then im fucked. I dont like the sounds of it.
Watever happened to hsc marks getting scaled up. Like, my sisters 2 unit mark was scaled up to about 70 from a fail, in her hsc. And she had done pretty crap all year.
ALIGNED MARKS ARE NOT USED FOR THE SCALING PROCESS!!!! I cannot emphasise this enough. In scaling the RAW MARKS are used. In most cases, these are lower than the ALIGNED marks. Since these marks are lower than the aligned marks, then the "scaling up" or the "scaling down" can apply.
The Board does not release these marks to the public, probably in fear that people would jump to ridiculous conclusions about the scaling of marks and pick subjects because they are scaled up.
Either way, when it comes to scaling, RANKS matter, NOT MARKS.

HSC
davidmenz said:
ok i heard that on the 12th of dec we get out assesment mark is this true and if we do is it reliable to type into SAM to get an approx UAI???
thanks
I DO know that your internal ranks and internal assessment marks that the school submits to board of studies can be viewed at studentsonline.nsw.edu.au from 4pm November 11 til sometime in january...

kylz_kute

HSC
im a little lost guys im only new to the site and find it useful so far but i can work out my allied marks but know that im in bands 4/5 and 5/6 for my corses if i use an average for these bands based on my marks so far could it still give me rough idea about my UAI???
hope so im aiming for 70 or more lol being realistic

lala2

Banned
HSC
I dunno if this is a reliable way of doing things but what I did:

- Examine the last few years' results from your school, and how many 90+ mentions there were in each subject, e.g. last year was a really, really, really, bad year for us but 76 got 90+ in English Advanced, and 96-ish got 90+ in 2U Maths. Fortuantely for me, our yaer is a good year and I'm ranked 55th and equal 10th in Eng Adv and 2U Maths respectively, so I inputted in 90 for both (to be on the safe side)
- If no exact numbers are given, but the percentage of students who got a certain band and over is given, calculate that you're in the top xx% and work it out from there, e.g. last year, 70-something% of people got 80+ in Biology, and I'm in the top 30-ish%, so I should get at least 80 if not more for Bio.
- And if nothing else, then Ii guess use the rest of the advice in this thread

a8o

HSC
lala2 said:
I dunno if this is a reliable way of doing things but what I did:

- Examine the last few years' results from your school, and how many 90+ mentions there were in each subject, e.g. last year was a really, really, really, bad year for us but 76 got 90+ in English Advanced, and 96-ish got 90+ in 2U Maths. Fortuantely for me, our yaer is a good year and I'm ranked 55th and equal 10th in Eng Adv and 2U Maths respectively, so I inputted in 90 for both (to be on the safe side)
- If no exact numbers are given, but the percentage of students who got a certain band and over is given, calculate that you're in the top xx% and work it out from there, e.g. last year, 70-something% of people got 80+ in Biology, and I'm in the top 30-ish%, so I should get at least 80 if not more for Bio.
- And if nothing else, then Ii guess use the rest of the advice in this thread

What school is this?

amehta1287

Why ! ! ! !

why cant we just BUY our UAI's like they do in some communist country, i hate working for things..

huangker

Crammer
HSC
have a look at my reply on
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=73857&page=4

Basically, look at ur rank and compare with ppl in the grade above you (either you kno a few ppl or u can ask ur teachers for stats). Heres an example, ur ranked 20/100 students for a subject. Now last year there were 75 students for that course. You would want the final scaled mark for a person on 16/75. Use that as your scaled mark.

cataleptic

HSC
Bah.

Confused.

I think I'm just gonna go with everyone else's estimate and say somewhere between 90 and 95, and then wait 'til bloody december instead of fussing with inaccurate bloody programs that will either make me way too confident or make me feel like shit.

Johannaxxx

HSC
ok can someone please help me when i clicked into the thingy to put in my scores n get my predicted uai i couldnt put in the scores..that sam thing can someone please help me and tell me what to do step by step??

hailz123

HSC
once uve figured out ur aligned mark, how do u put it into that SAM thing? so confusing...:mad1:

P

pLuvia

You just type in the numbers into the boxes of your allocated subjects

rockets

HSC
N/A
if there is about 280 kids in my year doing adv. eng and i have got 76% so far in all assessments done and say I am sitting at about 130/280 anyone like to guess what my aligned mark would be?????? I go to a school that was just under the top 70 last year. THANKS

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
rockets said:
if there is about 280 kids in my year doing adv. eng and i have got 76% so far in all assessments done and say I am sitting at about 130/280 anyone like to guess what my aligned mark would be?????? I go to a school that was just under the top 70 last year. THANKS
Well, what you should do is see how last year went. If for example 3/4 of your grade got 80+ in Advanced, and you're ranked slightly above average, you'd possibly be around the 85 range? The best way to find out is by last years statistics, but also be sure to ask teachers how good your grade is in english compared to the previous year.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
if thats true then im relieved, so u sayin if i get a raw mark of say 66 and exam mark say 95 the average of the two become 81 does dat then get scaled up to say around 90 coz it sounds hard to believe although ill admit im not doin dat great coz i got zero for two assesments because i had no doctor certicate when away n it was too late, im realy worried one was 28% weighting the other 20% and im doin 10 units all up... duz dis effect me much coz im aimin for uai of minimum 90.. do i still ave a chance plzzz send to me soon with ur response thnx:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)