How do we request raw marks? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lucky I saved the contents of it, eh?

This information was originally written for the former Freedom of Information Act 1989, which has been repealed and replaced with the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. I have updated this guide for the new Act, however if there's any mistakes you spot here, please tell me!

I've written up this quick guide for anyone who wants to make a request for access to their raw marks. If I've missed anything please say so.

At present, if you want your raw marks from the Board of Studies, you may lodge a request for access to information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) asking for the information you're looking for. You should be able to request this information from around early December.

An application for access under the GIPA Act is subject to the strict legal criteria in the Act. A Board officer will assess your application in accordance with the Act, and they are legally required to provide the information requested unless the Act exempts it from release. In the event that the Board refuses to grant you access to information, you have the right to have the decision reviewed. For more information about the GIPA Act, contact the NSW Office of the Information Commissioner. (http://www.oic.nsw.gov.au/)

Before spending money on a formal access application, you should try requesting the information informally. Contact the Office of the Board of Studies via email (service@bos.nsw.edu.au). As far as I am aware, no-one has attempted to obtain this information informally. As an informal request has no legal significance, they may not provide the information at this stage.

Alternatively, you may choose to make a request for this information under section 14 of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. These requests are (at least initially) free of charge, however the law does not specify a strict timeframe for the Board of Studies to respond, so they could take longer than making a request under the GIPA Act. Again, as far as I know, no-one has attempted such a request as yet.

If you have decided you want to go ahead with a formal application for access under the GIPA Act:

1. Write a letter to:
GIPA Coordinator
Office of the Board of Studies
GPO Box 5300
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Alternatively, you can use the BOS-provided GIPA form (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/gipa-access-application-form.pdf) however I prefer typing to handwriting

2. State that you are making an application for access to information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.

3. Ask for the information you want in relation to your HSC enrolment:

* raw marks and weighted marks for each question
* details of optional question scaling
* state rank
* initial school assessment mark
* initial moderated assessment mark
* copies of examination scripts (within 6 months of HSC marking)
* details of the marking of major works (if applicable)

State that the information you are seeking is considered 'personal information'. Note that if it takes the BOS staff more than 20 hours to find the information requested, they may bill you at a rate of $30 per hour, but it is unlikely that it will take that long to process.

4. List your personal details: at a minimum, your name, DOB, postal address within Australia and BOS student number. You will probably want to attach some identification certified by a school official, JP, police officer or similar official.

5. You may state your preferred form for receiving the requested information. By default, they'll post it to you, but you can request any other format e.g. email or fax. Remember to give the relevant contact details if you request an alternative format.

6. You will generally need to attach payment for the application fee, in the form of a cheque or money order. The application fee is $30. Under the GIPA Act, full-time students, pensioners and those suffering financial hardship can claim a 50% discount on processing fees, however this does not apply to the application fee. If you are suffering financial hardship, you can request that the application fee be completely waived, however this is at the discretion of the Board.

7. Send!

The Board is required to respond within 20 working days of receiving your application, however there are some circumstances where they may extend the time if they need to retrieve archived records. If you have made errors in your application or there are issues that need to be discussed, a Board officer should contact you and assist you in amending your application or resolving the issues.

In the event that access to your information is denied, you have the right to a non-binding review by the Information Commissioner (free), a formal internal review (fees apply), or a legally binding review by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal (fees apply). If this happens, contact the Office of the Information Commissioner for further advice - and post the details up here!

Once you've got your marks, please post them up here and I'll add them to the list - this will help future students who want to know more about how the alignment system works.

Useful Links

Office of the Information Commissioner (NSW)
Office of the Board of Studies - GIPA Guidelines (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/)

FAQs

Will my request take over 20 hours, resulting in a processing charge?

Probably not. I requested all this information, and wasn't charged anything beyond the application fee. According to the Board of Studies annual reports, they have had very few, if any, requests that take more than 20 hours to process. Most likely, a standard request would take 10 hours or less, which is included for free in the application fee.

Can I request that my raw marks and exam scripts be sent to me by email?

Yes. Just state that on your application and be sure to include your email address.

How long do I have to make my request?

If you want full examination scripts, you must apply within 6 months of the conclusion of HSC marking. However, if you only want your raw marks, rankings and similar information, you can apply at any time.

When is the earliest I can lodge an application?

The earliest you should lodge an application is around results day (i.e. the middle Wednesday of December) in the year you complete the exam.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I sent mine off today actually. I would give you mine to use for the layout and partial contents (literary features) but the application obviously contains private information. Perhaps, if I find some time, I will make a pro-forma for people to use... but you should be fine just to use the post that Shadowdude reposted.

twistedrebel

HSC
you know it would be funny, if it comes back before your results. but doubt it

blackratpoo

HSC
they could just reject the whole application coz they could argue the results dont exist (fully as complete data) yet. then you would have to pay another 30 dollars. but meh.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
they could just reject the whole application coz they could argue the results dont exist (fully as complete data) yet. then you would have to pay another 30 dollars. but meh.
I've spoken to other students who applied for raw marks, and they've applied anywhere between 1 Dec and January sometime... they do eventually reply and give you what you want... as long as it's all formally worded and conducted in proper fashion. Afterall, this is a legal request.

Jonneeh

HSC
On the HSC Results summary sheet we receive in the mail, where there's a little payment slip for clerical recheck.

When they recheck it do they send out your raw results. If not what do they send back?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
On the HSC Results summary sheet we receive in the mail, where there's a little payment slip for clerical recheck.

When they recheck it do they send out your raw results. If not what do they send back?
The clerical recheck is simply to have your marks analysed and marked again - they will be double marked (even though all English essays are). The clerical recheck will simply provide you of the outcome of this re-marking. If the recheck finds that you should have your mark increased, it will be done so and you will will be notified what your changed exam mark and final HSC marks are... (your internal mark will not change, of course, unless others in your class do the same and have similar outcomes).

The great thing about the recheck is that if they find your mark should have been lower, regardless of by how much, they shall not decrease your mark.

You won't receive any word about raw/weighted/aligned marking from this recheck.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Despite that form given in the post... I'd like it if there was this pro-forma that Aquawhite used.

I wonder - could I ask a lawyer I know to write this for me? =P

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I will upload mine, but blur out all of my personal information or put something in there to help you along the way.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uhh, just found this out which may be a stumbling block for our requests:

From: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/gipa/

Presumption against disclosure in some cases

The ‘balancing’ approach to the public interest test applies in most circumstances. However, in relation to 12 categories of information, there is always an overriding public interest against disclosure. These are:

1. Information subject to an overriding secrecy law (26 specifically named Acts)
2. Cabinet information
3. Executive Council information
4. Information subject to the direction or order of a court or other body with the power to receive evidence on oath, or to Parliamentary privilege
5. Information subject to legal professional privilege
6. ‘Excluded information’ (judicial and prosecutorial information, information about complaints handling and investigative functions, competitive and market sensitive information, information in relation to specific functions of the Public Trustee, and information about the ranking and assessment of students completing the HSC)
7. Documents affecting law enforcement and public safety
8. Specific information relating to transport safety
9. Specific information relating to adoption procedures and records
10. Specific reports concerning the care and protection of children
11. Information contained in the Register of Interests kept in relation to the Ministerial Code of Conduct
12. Specific information relating to Aboriginal and environmental heritage.

Generally, agencies must not publish and must refuse requests to disclose information in the above categories. Formal applications for ‘excluded information’ are invalid under the Act.
So... yeah...

I'll be sending mine in after I figure out how to make my application pretty =P

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
not going to bother requesting them

why would i want another small package in jan/feb reminding me of the horrible experience that was the hsc?

still i guess it's good some of u are requesting them, it'll help future cohorts

iTz Osky

HSC
can i just ask why you guys want raw marks? I'm a bit confused as to what they are needed for...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
can i just ask why you guys want raw marks? I'm a bit confused as to what they are needed for...
People usually apple for the raw marks package because they want to know how they actually went in the exam and in the paper on the day. Aligning and moderation and all that jazz prevents students from really knowing what marks they got on the paper and some students wish to find out these marks; perhaps even share these with others or their school to help understand better the processes of alignment and moderation.

Mate, about the PPIPA, a student in the past was successful in obtaining the info without charge.
That student may have been still classified as a child (i.e. <18) and also in receipt of a Centrelink payment (or his/her parents) that made them eligible for a complete waiver of any processing charges and the initial charge of $15/$30 child/adult charge.

James Cos

HSC
That student may have been still classified as a child (i.e. <18) and also in receipt of a Centrelink payment (or his/her parents) that made them eligible for a complete waiver of any processing charges and the initial charge of $15/$30 child/adult charge.
Nah he wasn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)