How do you answer "to what extent?" (1 Viewer)

mollytee

HSC
I have an essay question asking to what extent and I'm not sure how to write it. What if one part of the essay is significant while another is not represented well at all. What would my thesis be and how will I do my topic sentences for each one? They wouldnt match. Idk maybe im overthinking it. This is for ancient btw.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Depending on what you're arguing. For Example - "To a large extent X contributed heavily to the fall of Y due too..."

Or maybe, "Although a contributing factor, X's role in the collapse of Y is underpinned by the substantial influence Z had"

You can literally say "to a large extent" "lesser extent" "great extent" in your thesis and topic setnences :D

mollytee

HSC
Depending on what you're arguing. For Example - "To a large extent X contributed heavily to the fall of Y due too..."

Or maybe, "Although a contributing factor, X's role in the collapse of Y is underpinned by the substantial influence Z had"

You can literally say "to a large extent" "lesser extent" "great extent" in your thesis and topic setnences :D

Thanks for the reply. Yeah thats what I was thinking, but what I meant was if something is to a large extent and something else is to a minimal extent, then what would my thesis be? Wouldnt it be all over the place?

si2136

HSC
N/A
It is seen that X is at a larger extent of ____, compared to Y's lesser extent of ____

Something like that, but of course more sophisticated

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Thanks for the reply. Yeah thats what I was thinking, but what I meant was if something is to a large extent and something else is to a minimal extent, then what would my thesis be? Wouldnt it be all over the place?
It would - but thats why you need to make your thesis broad enough. I know what you mean haha I had this problem before too. But you have to write something like "Without a doubt, there has been a myriad of factors influencing the collapse of Y, with some more significant than others." Something like that

Last edited:

Olevelswerebetter

HSC
I think you just write a two-sided response, it's what they taught me at my school

(first paragraph)
To some extent, X is good for blah blah blah

(second paragraph)
However, X has also blah blahed

This is what I usually did in all my exams and I was a pretty good student (not to brag). Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)