How do you become a tutor? (1 Viewer)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Does anyone know if it's possible for second years to become tutors, or perhaps even first years (that are in second sem of course :)) Also, do you need a D/HD average in all of your units of study or JUST the unit you want to tute for?

e.g. If I want to become a BUSS1030 (introductory accounting) tutor, will I need D's in all of my first year subjects or only BUSS1030? Is work experience a critical factor in determining whether or not you become a tutor?

Thanks all!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Usually they will only CONSIDER 4th years+ to tutor students and I assume it would also require a HD average across the board.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Depends on the subject.

For Maths, you usually need to be doing/have done an Honours course.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You will never be tutoring people in the second semester of your first year. Highly unlikely in your second and third years as well. Most of my friends who are tutoring after in their 4th years (either Honours students, or Combined Law students).

izzy88

HSC
Also depends on the faculty. In arts (history and ancient history for example) the only people I have ever seen tutoring apart from lecturers are Phd students (and possibly masters). Not even Honours students tutor.

However in maths etc I know of Honours students that can tutor. It probably depends on demand to be honest (less tutorials in History so they don't need to look beyond phd/masters students to fill gaps if lecturers can't do it).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know if it's possible for second years to become tutors, or perhaps even first years (that are in second sem of course :))
Not possible at all.

funnytomato

HSC
I think there are 'mentors' for some 1st year IT subjects, who are 2nd/3rd years who did reallly well(about 95+)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think there are 'mentors' for some 1st year IT subjects, who are 2nd/3rd years who did reallly well(about 95+)
I think you're thinking of PASS/PAL program facilitators... These people put on extra 'Peer Assisted Study Sessions' for a variety of units over different disciplines. I do this at MQ where it's voluntary, though i think at USYD you get paid to do it. You'll only be considered if you got a D/HD in the unit you want to facilitate, have a credit average over all and can display that you're good with people. Having a ton of extra curricular activities associated with the uni helps as well.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think you're thinking of PASS/PAL program facilitators... These people put on extra 'Peer Assisted Study Sessions' for a variety of units over different disciplines. I do this at MQ where it's a voluntary, though i think at USYD you get paid to do it. You'll only be considered if you got a D/HD in the unit you want to facilitate, have a credit average over all and can display that you're good with people. Having a ton of extra curricular activities associated with the uni helps as well.
I used to do IT subjects and there were 2nd Year students who were mentors.

They are people who performed well during first year. They didn't really do too much, just walked around checking if everybody was okay with their work and the first couple weeks of uni etc.

They are not paid.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I don't think we are thinking of the same program in that case... PASS is a highly organised, internationally recognised program. Students must register to attend the sessions, which are planned and monitored for consistency in quality. Usually the work is paid at most universities, however MQ is so broke they haven't been able to pay the facilitators for the past couple of years.

This is what i'm talking about:

http://sydney.edu.au/business/learning/students/pass

funnytomato

HSC
I don't think we are thinking of the same program in that case... PASS is a highly organised, internationally recognised program. Students must register to attend the sessions, which are planned and monitored for consistency in quality. Usually the work is paid at most universities, however MQ is so broke they haven't been able to pay the facilitators for the past couple of years.

This is what i'm talking about:

http://sydney.edu.au/business/learning/students/pass

is this a business school only thing?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I'm not sure, i just googled PASS USYD and this is what came up. It's not faculty specific at MQ.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
PASS is not the same as tutors. PASS facilitators do get paid, but nowhere near the rate as actual subject tutors.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
No, PASS facilitators and tutors are not the same. However i brought it up as i thought it might be useful to the OP; PASS is probably the closest you can get to tutoring at such an early stage of your degree. According to the USYD website PASS facilitators get paid $34.35 an hour, which while a significantly lower rate than that of tutors, is still not bad in it's own right (especially seeing as the workload is not nearly as heavy).

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, ok, sorry for misunderstanding. Maycat is absolutely correct.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Wow, I didn't realise it was that hard to become a tutor (considering I have a pretty bad tutor for one of my subs).

Thanks for the info guys!

Milton Friedman

HSC
N/A
No, PASS facilitators and tutors are not the same. However i brought it up as i thought it might be useful to the OP; PASS is probably the closest you can get to tutoring at such an early stage of your degree. According to the USYD website PASS facilitators get paid $34.35 an hour, which while a significantly lower rate than that of tutors, is still not bad in it's own right (especially seeing as the workload is not nearly as heavy).
i, as a 'casual academic' without a phd, get paid $42/hour. that's only $8 less than you get if you have a phd.

http://sydney.edu.au/sydneypeople/documents/academic_staff_casual_rates_of_pay.pdf

$34/hour isn't too shabby at all :eek:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Is that right? I was under the impression that the pay was considerably more than that. What is it that you actually do as a 'casual academic'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)