how do you compare letters to alice and pride aqnd prejudice? (1 Viewer)

Josephine22

HSC
man its so unfortunate that were stuck with LTA =[...my teacher reckons the BOS are gonna change it to 'Lost in Austen' some time in d future...
now dats a text that REALLY reshapes ur understanding of P&P and vise-versa. it fits in so well with the module dat u can practically writing a whole book on the connections between them. and unlike LTA, they RESHAPE EACH OTHER...well LTA does too, but it practically STATES theconnections between them and i think what most people are struggling with is comming up with their own, unique interpretation and finding SUBTLE links between text. i don't fink that was Weldon's intention though. i was doing some research and most people described the book as being a collection of ESSAYS written in letter form...but essay are SUPPOSED to state, not infer things. "Lost in Austen" is much more flexible and interesting and its got techniques, techniques, techniques... =/ ..so much to talk about...
i guess to do well in this essay we're gonna have to rely on structure and quotes cause, considering what we have to work with, the contents are gonna be similar...
...so..un...fair...=[[ .
thoughts anyone?

Your teacher is right, they are changing the syllabus not this year and probably not next year but its going to be lost in austen and us year 12 2009 suckers are stuck with the shit book LTA! >.< thats kinda annoying really.

jellybelly59

HSC
Is it possible to just link PnP to LTA through the way they are written ie epistolary narrative. like as if they use the same method to explain about different things??

in the essay am i able to say have one para on linking values than another on linking language forms and features, than another on linking ideas between them?? as long as they all 'shape and reshape my understanding of boths texts by reading the other??? please help
yes that is a plausible link.

Techniques shouldn't be done seperately... They are commonly used to reinforce your thesis/idea/argument, ultimately providing textual evidence. By isolating just techniques in paragraph you fail to integrate how the language shapes your perception of values and context and lose the sophistication and cohesiveness of your extended response.

McBean88

HSC
ok so forgot to write the common themes...
they are:

- marriage
- the 'accomplished woman'
- money and status
- and you could almost put being a home wife in here as well but the other 3 are the main ones
umm.. just wondering. whereabouts does LTA talk about marriage. i mean deres criticism about her sister being weak cause shes married to a dominating husband but dats about all i could find...

musoblake

HSC
My class has been given the essay:

Comment on how "Letters To Alice" shapes our understanding of "Pride and Prejudice"through contextual features and societal values"

I have already written an essay on Pride and prejudice about contextual features and societal values and and hoping to just use this essay as a scaffold, intergrating points and links from LTA.
the societal values that i'm exploring are wealth, respectability, marriage, health, approbation, and reprobation.

Some other points to consider:
  • Epistolary writing style
  • Didactic (educational) nature of LTA
  • we are the ones that have to sit the exam so its up 2 us to figure all this out and get the best possible mark :)

Last edited:

carpetdiem

HSC
pride and prejudice is shit..... letters to alice is worse.... why waste your time.... but if you do feel the necessity in destroying what sanity you have left...... Pride N Prejucide is centred arround the gentry (rich bastards in the olden times) prmarily girls... sounds good, WRONG... they sit down have tea and talk about getting hooked up to random dudes (as that was the way it was back then) they didnt say OMG HES A BABE, it was wow, he has money... lets make babies.... it was all about settling down, and ensuring that you could live well. women did not work nor have money, also they could not inherit anything...the climax of the story was Mr.Darcy's letter to Elizabeth explaining his actions as to why jane and bingly couldnt hook up.. reading what i just said makes it sound way cooler then it actually is.... Fay Weldon is a feminist bitch.. no offence girls are awesome, and should be = in every way...
i disagree with fay thinking that women are better then men and i also disagree with her in saying OMG JANE AUSTEN IS A BRILLIANT MASTERMIND!! SHE WAS AWESOME AND HER WRITING WAS IMPECABLE...seriously whoever writes shit like that should be shot... no wonder it took women ages to become respected writers... JA is the first known female writer (correct me if im wrong my teacher said so and we got into an arguement over this, i disagreed and was proven wrong.. i still think im right). writing was not common in JA's day for females, it was not a respectable job... it was all about maintaining your "status.." umm what im saying is probably wrong as i read half the book then burnt it... but hope i could have helped... thats only very brief and i did do ok in the assessment tasks, altho i cant remember any quotes they arnt worth putting in... well u have to so do that.. pce out

R1NA92

HSC
umm.. just wondering. whereabouts does LTA talk about marriage. i mean deres criticism about her sister being weak cause shes married to a dominating husband but dats about all i could find...
i'm not sure if this will help, but i'm going to try and pull something together.

- if you're going with the theme of female/male dominance: there is the contrast between Aunt Fay & Mr. Darcy - where status has been achieved and merit has been granted solely through effort rather than blatant inheritance; hence the opposing of patriarchal society and "girl power".
- in the first letter, page 14: there is a little mention of Jane Austen in relation to the path she chose in relation to marriage.
- page 31: discusses the change between marriage in the Austen period and marriage in the 20th/21st century; 'Marriage was forever'.
- page 51: 'marriage and practicality' - the introspective scope that was the tranisiton between the Austen period and the 20th/21st century
- the title of letter 4 i found quite interesting: 'THE MANTLE OF THE MUSE' what does that say about women?

open to all ideas, corrections and feedback.
i hope i helped :)

Safa_2009

HSC
pride and prejudice is shit..... letters to alice is worse.... why waste your time.... but if you do feel the necessity in destroying what sanity you have left...... Pride N Prejucide is centred arround the gentry (rich bastards in the olden times) prmarily girls... sounds good, WRONG... they sit down have tea and talk about getting hooked up to random dudes (as that was the way it was back then) they didnt say OMG HES A BABE, it was wow, he has money... lets make babies.... it was all about settling down, and ensuring that you could live well. women did not work nor have money, also they could not inherit anything...the climax of the story was Mr.Darcy's letter to Elizabeth explaining his actions as to why jane and bingly couldnt hook up.. reading what i just said makes it sound way cooler then it actually is.... Fay Weldon is a feminist bitch.. no offence girls are awesome, and should be = in every way...
i disagree with fay thinking that women are better then men and i also disagree with her in saying OMG JANE AUSTEN IS A BRILLIANT MASTERMIND!! SHE WAS AWESOME AND HER WRITING WAS IMPECABLE...seriously whoever writes shit like that should be shot... no wonder it took women ages to become respected writers... JA is the first known female writer (correct me if im wrong my teacher said so and we got into an arguement over this, i disagreed and was proven wrong.. i still think im right). writing was not common in JA's day for females, it was not a respectable job... it was all about maintaining your "status.." umm what im saying is probably wrong as i read half the book then burnt it... but hope i could have helped... thats only very brief and i did do ok in the assessment tasks, altho i cant remember any quotes they arnt worth putting in... well u have to so do that.. pce out

where do i begin....seriuosly mate you have issues. If you think due to the fact that Austen writes about issues that occured during HER TIME she has issues then you do. She's not writing about issues that take place in your life today hence the whole point of this module, different contexts appreciate different things. If you think that because she can write immaculately and her success is paramount she is the reason why women couldn.t be respected then you have problems and many more than just one. And just to reinforce it you don't think her quotes are worth putting in because you have issues and the way she portrays your sex has definitely hindered your pride.
It's fine to state your opinion but don't impose it or falsely state it.

ppaaiiggee9

HSC
Hey all. Our class was supposed to start this topic of LTA and PAP last term but we didnt - so we'll start it next week when school resumes. Does this mean we are behind? I've read PAP twice and have almost finished LTA. I want to know whether most people like LTA or not. I get the idea that its purpose was to persuade Alice to appreciate Jane Austen's work.
Like Alice, I am not sure if I really like Austen's books or understand their novelty or importance and I was expecting to be persuaded by LTA that Austen is really good. But I am finding it kind of boring, tedious and long winded and I haven't been persuaded at all. I think I would prefer to read Austen than LTA. I don't like the way LTA is written.
What do you all think?

Well I personally would have really enjoyed L2A, if it werent for the fact that she is so hopelessly in love with Jane Austen. I honestly think Austen is the most self righteous verbose author I have ever read. She gets far to much credit for writing the most inane & pretensious books. That somehow manage to be underdescript yet overwritten at the same time. Which is a feat in its self but how has it deserved her 200 years of celebrated fame?

hitchbrick

HSC
pride and prejudice is shit..... Letters to alice is worse.... Why waste your time.... But if you do feel the necessity in destroying what sanity you have left...... Pride n prejucide is centred arround the gentry (rich bastards in the olden times) prmarily girls... Sounds good, wrong... They sit down have tea and talk about getting hooked up to random dudes (as that was the way it was back then) they didnt say omg hes a babe, it was wow, he has money... Lets make babies.... It was all about settling down, and ensuring that you could live well. Women did not work nor have money, also they could not inherit anything...the climax of the story was mr.darcy's letter to elizabeth explaining his actions as to why jane and bingly couldnt hook up.. Reading what i just said makes it sound way cooler then it actually is.... Fay weldon is a feminist bitch.. No offence girls are awesome, and should be = in every way...
I disagree with fay thinking that women are better then men and i also disagree with her in saying omg jane austen is a brilliant mastermind!! She was awesome and her writing was impecable...seriously whoever writes shit like that should be shot... No wonder it took women ages to become respected writers... Ja is the first known female writer (correct me if im wrong my teacher said so and we got into an arguement over this, i disagreed and was proven wrong.. I still think im right). Writing was not common in ja's day for females, it was not a respectable job... It was all about maintaining your "status.." umm what im saying is probably wrong as i read half the book then burnt it... But hope i could have helped... Thats only very brief and i did do ok in the assessment tasks, altho i cant remember any quotes they arnt worth putting in... Well u have to so do that.. Pce out
iawtc so much.

hello-there

HSC
through conflicting and similar values which can be seen in the context. Connections between texts are recognised through a variety of approaches i.e. the consideration of direct or indirect references, values, ideas and the use of language features and forms. What these connections have to establish is the notion that the meaning and understanding of a text is not static but is rather shaped and reshaped through its relationship with other texts in this case Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice.

So if you analyse, compare the texts and construct an extended response it's:

1.Thesis
2.examples of contexts leading to values to justify thesis and establish connections
3.quotes to support connections
4.techniques in quotes to relay connections
5.link to thesis and how it causes a shaping or reforming of meaning in BOTH texts.
6.Repeat 2-5 many times
7.Conclusion

All credit to my awesome english teacher for teaching me all of this :)

Hope i helped. :)
UMMmmm.....im so lost about point 4. can some explain it cos i dont know how to integrate techniques into my response.

rororow

HSC
where in Letters to Alice is that quote of Weldon's about men being somewhat useful, but easily disposed of? I need a page reference, a letter reference. QUICK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)